Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Kinesis Tripster AT or Mason Bokeh?

I want to swap my commuter/grim weather road/soft-road (gravel I guess!) frame to something that could take wider tyres (30mm min) with full guards, is capable of taking a rack, yet will still feel like a road bike around the Surrey hills.

Would love Ti but it's out of budget, & steel just seems too weighty (the extra will haunt me on those climbs!), so have narrowed my choice to a Tripster AT (head) or Bokeh (heart). I fear I'll always wish I spent the extra on the Mason (even though I could get 650b wheels with the difference).

Any advice/owner feedback welcome please

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

HaveLegsWillRide | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks again for the replies, in the end I ended up with a Dolan GXC. An earlier delivery date & upgrade discount made me change from my original GXA order.
So far it has been excellent both on & off road, feels solid but noticeably more sprightly on the climbs than my old alu frame.
The only negative has been the paint quality - a bit ropey around some bolt holes & chips easy. Overall very happy though 😀

HaveLegsWillRide | 2 years ago
0 likes

Cheers all for the replies, if budget allows seems the heart/Bokeh wins...the weight penalty of steel equivalents (similar tyre clearances etc) still puts me off.
The Dolan GXA seems to fit the bill too, but finding reviews/owner feedback is tough

Simon E replied to HaveLegsWillRide | 2 years ago
1 like

HaveLegsWillRide wrote:

the weight penalty of steel equivalents (similar tyre clearances etc) still puts me off.

I wouldn't let a few hundred grams spoil it.

More important to buy the bike you will enjoy most - "heart/Bokeh wins" tells me you know which one you should get.

Jigzy99 | 2 years ago
0 likes

I have a Tripster AT. It is a good all rounder but if I had the choice and could afford it I would absolutely go for the Mason Bokeh!  You could use some robust 30/32mm tyres that will be fine on the road and gravel and save up for the 650b wheels for rougher stuff.

Stef Marazzi | 2 years ago
0 likes

Riders in my cycle group have both. Both are good for massive days out, but the Mason has an amazing paint job. I'd go with that!

Spangly Shiny | 2 years ago
6 likes

Steel doesn't have to be heavy. Reynolds 853 is a wonderful tubeset, light and lively. I have a Wolfson frameset by The Light Blue and the whole bike build is 7.7 Kg with pedals, computer mount and bottle cages.

Sniffer replied to Spangly Shiny | 2 years ago
2 likes

Agree steel can work.

Check out the Fairlight reviews.

Secret_squirrel replied to Sniffer | 2 years ago
2 likes

+1 Fairlight Strael should be on your list.  Its a weapon!  I still miss mine even though I love the Ti frame that replaced it.

Steve K replied to Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

Secret_squirrel wrote:

+1 Fairlight Strael should be on your list.  Its a weapon!  I still miss mine even though I love the Ti frame that replaced it.

If you can afford a Strael, you can also afford a Ti bike, eg the Ribble Endurance Ti.  I stress that's not to dismiss the Strael at all - it is clearly an absolutely lovely bike - but just to show the range of options available to the OP.

Yavuz replied to Spangly Shiny | 2 years ago
0 likes

Your steel bike/frame has disc brakes?   

Sniffer replied to Yavuz | 2 years ago
0 likes

Yes, my Strael does.

Spangly Shiny replied to Yavuz | 2 years ago
1 like

No, the Wolfson is long drop rim brake. I will not ever have a disc braked bike; too much faff and expense for not a lot of improvement.

Latest Comments