Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Cycliq Fly 12 out

As above missed the launch of this before Xmas. 

https://cycliq.com/bike-cameras/fly12-sport/

Pros - smaller with longer battery life.

Cons - drop in lumens from 600 to 400.  Ant+ light support removed.

Jury's out : New charge port cover.😬

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

mattw | 1 year ago
2 likes

Can anyone help with discount codes and similar?

£432 for the pair is a bit of a stretch. That's not much less than the £650 full price I spent on the basic bike, which then came down to under £500 with Halfords wonderful discount stacking computer.

Though I see that Cycliq have a 10% off first purchase thing.

pablo | 1 year ago
1 like

Not really an improvement much is it. Garmin must be thinking about taking this on now and frankly with the ecosystem they have I can't see them not winning.

mark1a replied to pablo | 1 year ago
1 like

Agreed, they already have Varia front lights, and previously dabbled with action cams with the VIRB range. I'd be interested in a relaunched camera with built in light. 

wtjs replied to pablo | 1 year ago
1 like

Garmin must be thinking about taking this on now and frankly with the ecosystem they have I can't see them not winning

Yes, they seem to have no trouble getting multi-mode satellite location working inside watches, cycle units etc. I suppose it's lack of demand, but they'd certainly get my money for a modern GPS camera. For now, the GoPro is working well, but I'm only a Windows update away from complete GPS loss.

Oldfatgit replied to wtjs | 1 year ago
1 like

Battery life.
GPS eats batteries - its one of the reasons the GPS version of Go-Pro has a shockingly poor battery life.
The GPS inside your watch isn't active all the time; it's only really active  when you start an activity. Then watch the battery life drop ...

Creakingcrank | 1 year ago
1 like

Removal of Ant+ light support is a pro from my POV. Their implementation on the older models didn't seem to work very well, leading to unpleasant behaviours like the light turning off while you were riding along. I switched off ANT+ on mine pretty quickly after purchase and have enjoyed using the light much more since then.

Secret_squirrel replied to Creakingcrank | 1 year ago
0 likes

Fly 12 ce Ant user here.  Works fine on my edge. Couldn't get it connected to my Bonty Transmittr though. 

wtjs | 1 year ago
0 likes

No GPS = No Use

Sadly, none of the other big names offer GPS now either, presumably because nobody but me wants it. GoPro abandoned GPS after Hero 7 Black, and also abandoned the highly unreliable PC software, so I'm on borrowed time.

Secret_squirrel replied to wtjs | 1 year ago
2 likes

The newish Garmin RCT715 radar cam combo stamps the GPS Co-ords on the image as long as it's connected to an Edge GPS.

if that's what you are looking for?

Bit of a fiddle but Garmin’s VIRB software works with any standard video footage and can sync it with a Strava gps track too.

wtjs replied to Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks, but I require a single device and I'm mainly after GPS 'absolute time'. I can film a Rugby-connected radio clock mounted on the bike for over a minute at silicon clock driven 50 fps, and watch the minutes change over exactly synchronously (GoPro software does not display GPS seconds), then switch off the camera for about 57 minutes and restart it and the hour will change over exactly synchronously or only 1 frame (20 milliseconds) out- that will be the GoPro's fault. Network time on the phone is nearly as good, but thit will be the phone's fault

Oldfatgit replied to Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
0 likes

Garmin's Virb Edit has problems working with the new versions of Chrome.
From what I can find, the last release of the Virb Edit by Garmin was Version 5.4.3, realeased 26/12/2018 and has not been updated since.

According to this forum - https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software/mac-windows-software/f/virb-edit... - the software is no longer supported

Oldfatgit replied to Oldfatgit | 1 year ago
0 likes

You can get around the browser API issue with a small RegEdit in Windows (Mac users you'll have to google it yourself)

It does work ... (as with all RegEdit stuff, back up your Registry *Before* you muck around in there ...

mark1a replied to Oldfatgit | 1 year ago
2 likes

Not an issue on a Mac, on account of the fact it's not using an embedded IE instance for the Maps API. 

Awavey replied to wtjs | 1 year ago
0 likes

gps takes battery life away, so it will always be a like to have rather than a must have

Oldfatgit | 1 year ago
3 likes

It's still an excellent unit, and easily the best available... however its not without fault albeit with the software side of things.

I've had a Fly12CE for about 3 years and counting.
One of the things about the CE that I particularly liked was that - unlike the Gen 2 Fly 6 that I also have - there is no frame overlap between each segment.
This means you can drop your entire ride on to something like ffmpeg and it would join the segments to form one seamless video, and that could be then dropped in to Dashaware or Garmin Virb Editor so you could add the gpx data in one foul swoop.
However...
The software has changed, and there now seems to be approximately 1 second of overlap between each segment... and this seems to fluctuate slightly by a few frames either side. So it now behaves in the same manner that the Fly6 does.
Fine if you only want one or two segments - just load it up in you video editor and manually align ... not a big deal.
Unless you have a full 3 hour ride - which is 18 10min segments.
Ffmpeg would join these in maybe 15mins - 30mins at the most. It now takes hours to align 18 segments manually, and render the video.

Another problem is that the 12 Sport appears to use the h.265 codec ... so in order to add metrix data from gpx, you have to convert from h.265 to h.264 ... which means that when you do your render of the stiched segments, you have to save it, unedited, using h.265 ... rending is normally a 1:1 process, so a 3 hour ride will take about 3 hours to render.
This is on top of the at least 1 hour spent stitching segments together.

You then have to put it through your metrix software - which is why you can't edit the video in the stiching process ... so again your looking at around 3 hours to render ... so that's now 7 hours to do something that before would take about 3.15hours before.

Then ... you have to load it in to your video editing software to add titles, music, trim out the stops etc ... and render it again. Say you've took out 15mins of junk ... so another 2.45 on top of the 7 hours you've already spent ...
So nearly 10 hours to do something that used to take 4 or 5.

Oh ... and don't think that they have sorted the frame rate issue between the 6 and the 12 as they haven't. You still cannot synchronise full segments shot on the 6 and 12 ...

Despite the software issue - that's only really an issue if like me you want to publish a full ride - I still have absolutely no hesitation in recommending the Cycliq cameras.

If they could drop the 1/8th turn mount and go to a 1/4 turn, that would be fantastic too ...

Awavey | 1 year ago
0 likes

have they fixed the lens scratching so easily ?

Oldfatgit replied to Awavey | 1 year ago
0 likes

What are doing with it to scratch the lens?

Secret_squirrel replied to Oldfatgit | 1 year ago
1 like

coz he's got an itchy lens of course!

Awavey replied to Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
1 like

she...just has the camera on the handlebars and then a bag taking it to the lockers at work, the lens cover is plastic it scratches stupidly easily, like a grain of sand or mud will mark it, which is why Cycliq now offer lens protection accessories as a side line, instead of using gorilla glass or whatever GoPro uses

hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

I'm keeping an eye on that as I'm going to need to replace my original Fly12 model at some point. It's been dropped multiple times, has a bit of a rattle and I've accidentally removed the charge port cover, but it's still working.

Latest Comments