Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pondering magic paint problems

The issue of side facing cameras reminded me of a regular issue I have here:

1541 Warwick Rd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/9D5dben12CzvpLBG7

Traffic coming out of Arden Vale Road has restricted vision and cars are able to go around the roundabout southwards at about 25mph, so will then accelerate to 30mph+ by the time they reach Arden Vale. Traffic flows are quite high and the main desire line is to turn right so cars tend to make chancy high acceleration right turns out of the junction.

The problem is that at least three times recently they have done it while I am in the cycle lane, so I have a car accelerating towards me, trying to avoid being clipped by a car coming off the roundabout.

As I am in the cycle lane, does 1.5 metres apply? This is clearly debatable, but it really is unnerving having a car come so close while turning and accelerating (and then they always cut into the cycle lane as the road layout is too constrained so I have to concede my cycle lane to the car for self-protection.

So:

1) given that you don't cover this with forward and rear facing cameras, shows the need for 3 (argh!).

2) The cycle lane increases my risk - I would take the lane, but taking primary when there is a cycle lane and u am turning left at the roundabout isn't going to work well in combination with other traffic.

3) Would the police consider it a close pass if the motorist did not encroach on the cycle lane (not one of the widest)?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Awavey | 1 year ago
0 likes

2) Does riding in prime solve the problem though ? I know from experience of similar junctions, drivers who pull out of roads like that actually expect you to give way to them, always think it would be a fascinating conversation with the police if they caused a crash doing that, sorry officer I drove into the cyclist because they were in my way...but where you are on the road then has little impact, they're expecting you to get out of the way regardless.

3) I see no reason why it shouldn't, however I'd be surprised if the police did anything with it currently, strangely you might more success on that, not being in the cycle lane at all.

IanMSpencer replied to Awavey | 1 year ago
4 likes

When I tried that (bus at bus stop) the BMW driver pulled out anyway, and being a bit of a dick myself, let myself get suckered into a full ABS brake test that I failed. His excuse "Didn't you see me pull out in front of you?"

OnYerBike | 1 year ago
0 likes

1) A Jeremy Vine-style 360 camera might be a simpler solution than three separate cameras?

2) Agreed - one of the problems with magic paint.

3) As I understand it, the 1.5m does still apply and Police ought to still consider it a close pass. However, there have been plenty of incidents featured on NMotD where the police have refused to prosecute on the basis that a driver did not encroach on the cycle lane, so it would appear to be pot luck. Another problem with magic paint.

wtjs replied to OnYerBike | 1 year ago
1 like

the police have refused to prosecute on the basis that...

[insert any excuse here]. It doesn't matter to them how stupid the excuse is- I recall one of the first I saw on here from Essex: no action because the cyclist didn't wobble or brake. You wonder how they still manage to find people thick enough to pass the entry requirements for the police- none of whom appear to have the cerebral capacity to imagine some psycho-nutter Audi or BMW driver passing at 60 mph only 20 cms away. The first you know is when they're heading into the distance

Latest Comments