Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Short film shows the dangers of cars idling near schools

//i.imgur.com/olb9iwU.jpg)

From: https://www.bristol247.com/culture/film/short-film-shows-the-dangers-of-cars-idling-near-schools/

Quote:

An east Bristol action group has commissioned a provocative video to inform people of the negative consequences of idling.

Idling, when people sit in their cars with the engine still running whilst parked,

Set to Wash by Bon Iver, the film which was commissioned by St George Breathe Better, hopes to put a human touch on the frightening statistics about the effects pollution has on children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqTJ0_kvclY

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

BIRMINGHAMisaDUMP | 2 years ago
0 likes

didn't know that idling was illegal. Like speeding, device use whilst driving - it's one of those 'illegals' that is never enforced then? 

Rendel Harris replied to BIRMINGHAMisaDUMP | 2 years ago
2 likes

Lukas wrote:

didn't know that idling was illegal. Like speeding, device use whilst driving - it's one of those 'illegals' that is never enforced then? 

It's down to councils to enforce; like parking fines, not a police matter. However, it's far more profitable and cost efficient to have parking wardens on mopeds enforcing £60+ parking fines compared to putting wardens outside schools imposing £20 idling fines (and the protocol is only to issue a ticket if the driver refuses to switch off after a warning), so yes it's pretty much unobserved. 

AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
0 likes

First thing I thought when seeing that film is how many people complained about the LTN when it was added. It looked old as well from the bars used so I suspect none really. 

hawkinspeter replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
0 likes

AlsoSomniloquism wrote:

First thing I thought when seeing that film is how many people complained about the LTN when it was added. It looked old as well from the bars used so I suspect none really. 

Which LTN is that? I'm not aware of one in St George (East Bristol) yet.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
0 likes

When the kid starts to run along the road, there are poles across the end to stop road traffic. As mentioned it seems an old one as it is poles rather then planters and the such like. 

hawkinspeter replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
0 likes

I can't identify which road that is, though I can recognise most of the other locations so it won't be far away. I'll have to try and find it.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
0 likes

Ring up Andres the butchers and ask for his home address (or his delivery drivers).....

haruto | 2 years ago
0 likes

great. We can use video in educational purpouses

Captain Badger | 3 years ago
1 like

Thanks for sharing HP. What a great find!

Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

I was expecting a 1970s information film !

Captain Badger replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
2 likes

hirsute wrote:

I was expecting a 1970s information film !

As much of the data has been known for decades it could well have been made in the 70s

hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
4 likes

Coincidentally just seen this:

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/pollution-from-fossil-fuel-combustion-deadlier-than-previously-thought/

The study, which was conducted by researchers from Harvard University and the Universities of Birmingham and Leicester in the U.K., found that, worldwide, 8 million premature deaths were linked to pollution from fossil fuel combustion, with 350,000 in the U.S. alone. Fine particulate pollution has been linked with health problems including lung cancer, heart attacks, asthma, and dementia, as well as higher death rates from COVID-19. Bernstein, who was not part of the study, called its estimates “just stunning.”

Latest Comments