Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tour Of Britain S8 IOW

Hi, is there anyone local to the IOW who can let me know a good route to catch the race? We are heading to the island from Portsmouth and would like to see the race a few times hopping accross the route to keep ahead, is this going to be possible? If anyone has any ideas that would be great!

Cheers

Ian

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Luxie | 1 year ago
0 likes

Ok thanks so much for all the comments. 

I have had a look and come up with this as plan A - 

ferry gets into Ryde 937hrs so take in a bit of atmosphere and head to Appley Rd/Alexandra Rd to see the start. 

go up Highbrook Rd to Smallbrook Lane accross to Ashey Rd and on to The Downs Road/Brading Down Road. Depending on time head a little way down Brading Down and see the riders going up. 

along to Knighton Shute to Wroxhall - Newport Rd to Ventnor at the top of Zig Zag Rd and again depending on time see where we can see them coming up. 

Does this sound doable for time? I see we cross the route near Godshill but the timing on the tours site seem to suggest seeing them there and trying to get to Ventnor ahead of them is too tight?  Would seeing them at Godshill then going to somewhere near Chale be a better option? 

Also suggestion for a nice village pub somewhere on the route? someone mentioned icecreamm where is the good stuff?? 

Thanks

kil0ran replied to Luxie | 1 year ago
1 like

Your suggestion sounds like it would work but you'll need to shift it to get to Brading before they do, particularly if a break goes. At least it's mostly downhill to Ventnor from there, and it's not that bad a ride back to Ryde either. ZigZag will be packed I'd imagine and the pavements are really narrow with limited places to chuck your bike. If you do miss them at Brading head straight to Ventnor for lunch and watch them on ZigZag, or go to Shanklin and watch them on Cowleaze (only a cat 2 but most would say it's the toughest climb on the island due to the length)

Ice cream is in Ventnor (Crave). Includes vegan options. 5* on Trip Advisor, usually 10-15 flavours. We go there at least twice every holiday, even though we don't stay in Ventnor. And if vegan is your thing you have to try Tansy's Pantry in Godshill, if I could eat there every day they might just convert this committed carnivore. 

There are good small pubs in virtually every village down south/west. Three Bishops at Brightstone is good for beer but not sure on bike parking. You'd see the race twice there, both times at speed though. Drink Goddards if you can find it, local ale with plenty of seasonal options.

White Mouse at Chale has a massive beer garden with stunning views but average beer. They do decent no nonsense pub food (ribs good), and are geared up for large groups. You'll be able to see the race for about a mile from the terrace there (and see it twice if you ride up to the junction between Chale Green and Billingham - the race takes a sharp right hander there after what I think is a steep and narrow descent)

Niton Down on the run from Ventnor to Blackgang might be a good spectating spot, once again stunning views and you might see attacks there. If you like watching demon descending the drop off Niton down to Blackgang is steep and winding and goes through a really nasty roundabout (crap surface and camber) outside the amusement park.

Looking at the map I think you could potentially do three locations

Brading Down

Godshill

Niton Down/Blackgang/Chale

Godshill to Niton is only a 4 mile ride during which time the peloton will be slogging up Cowleaze & ZigZag so you'd have loads of time to get there, even with road closures.

Luxie replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks for all that great info, if you can supply some good weather then I think it will be a great day out!

kil0ran | 1 year ago
0 likes

Just a bit of info on road closures. Most are the usual rolliing roadblock except for the start area (closed until 3pm) and the Military Road from Chale all the way to The Needles. That's closed from 1pm until 3pm - https://www.iow.gov.uk/Council/OtherServices/Tour-of-Britain/Route/

So, if you're going to watch them early in the day (e.g. at Brading Down) you'll likely need to go across the middle of the island to get to The Needles. It's a 26 mile ride though so you'd better get your head down.

For those trying to avoid the Military Road closures the B3389 through Brightstone & Mottistone is your friend. If you've got tyre clearance head off that road just before Shalcombe and go over Brook Down to the Freshwater Golf Course.

If the road from Freshwater to the Needles is closed when you get there there's always the option of heading over Tennyson Down and approaching the finish area from the rear. That's steep but rideable, just watch out for rabbit holes!

Luxie replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
0 likes

Do you know if that is closed to bikes as well as motor vehicles? Have they said how far in advance of the leader they will be closing the road?

thanks for letting us know

0 likes

Roads closed everywhere else 20 mins before the convoy arrives I think

Full details with approx timings here (scroll down for image)

https://www.islandecho.co.uk/traffic-management-plans-for-tour-of-britai...

For example, you'd need to be on Brading Down by 11:16, with riders expected at 11:36. That's only 20 mins after the start so I don't think you'd make it there if you're going to actually watch them riding in the neutral zone.

Sorry, don't know if road closures apply to bikes

Luxie | 1 year ago
1 like

Thanks for the help so far, we are getting the portsmouth/ryde foot ferry with our bikes. Will take a look at your suggestions and see what looks good.

0 likes

In which case Brading and Cowleaze makes most sense. If you do choose to cycle to the Needles stay off the "middle" road, it'll be a fast rat run for locals avoiding road blocks

kil0ran | 1 year ago
0 likes

If you're driving bear in mind the roads through the middle are narrow with crap sight lines and limited passing places. Very limited off road parking, I'll be driving to Lymington and watching them in Yarmouth and at the finish.
There are also opportunities to see them twice around Brightstone but they'll be at speed on both occasions. If anyone is thinking of camping try Grange Farm at Brightstone, the race will go right by the camp site on the final drag back to Freshwater

kil0ran | 1 year ago
0 likes

Depends if you're riding or driving.
Two options.

Brading Down and Cowleaze Hill very doable as you've got about two hours to get between them. If not Cowleaze then head further on to Ventnor, get an ice cream at Crave and then watch them struggle up ZigZag - 20% section and really crap road surface.

Option 2 is to get ferry from Lymington to Yarmouth in time for the sprint and then ride over to the finish. If you don't go right to the top of the finish the best place to watch is outside the gift shop at the bottom of the hill, fast left hander into a speedbump and 200m @ 15%

If you can only get to one viewing point Afton Down will be incredible if the weather's good. With a decent set of binoculars you'll be able to see them coming towards you for a couple of miles. Go up on the golf course unless you're desperate to get close to the riders, there's more room and it's a better vantage point

Awavey | 1 year ago
0 likes

well Im not local but I had looked at doing this but couldnt make the dates in the end  2 (hopefully its a success and they use it for the Womens tour next year) but I wouldnt drive, Id get the hovercraft to Ryde & take my bike, note only 4 bikes are allowed per trip, you can probably get to Brading Down from Ryde after KM0 start just before they come through for KoM1, then headed up to Cowes for the sprint, then Id have headed to the finish at the Needles.

But the timing is quite tight, you couldnt hang about and dawdle much if they decided to up their pace (their timings are sort of average race pace, but they can often be quite far out) and you might have to have a plan B and use it on the fly depending on circumstances. Like it might be better to push further towards the Needles after KoM1 and pick up the sprint at Yarmouth instead of Cowes, to give you more time then to get across the island. But I definitely felt if you went for anywhere on that lower loop once they passed Newport, you then wouldnt get to the finish in time, by bike, so spotting locations all had to be north side of the island.

plus bear in mind I expect because of the rolling road blocks, extra traffic, the roads will be worse than usual with irate drivers and potentially alot of cyclists doing the same thing as you are.

AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
0 likes

Are you riding or driving?

Only asking as I suspect lots of cars around either way, especially as rolling road blocks occur. 

Looking from the map, ferry lands in Fishbourne, quick scoot up to see the start in Ryde. Then flit across to Newport to see them pass through. Back down their route to Rookley to see them pass through again before rushing down to the needles for the finish.  Oops, thought they went North At Rookley and around but they go east so Newport is later in the race and they head down to Rookley themselves. 
30* miles in total with 2800 climbing. The second half will be the lumpier bits. 

*Doesn't include return journey to Fishbourne. 

Latest Comments