Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Planet-X RT -58 Carbon - which one?

Hello everyone.

I have been following the forum for a while and learned a lot here (thanks!) but this is my first post. I started daily commuting in London some years ago and have been riding an hybrid Tachyon GT 4. I have done quite a few thousand miles on it and enjoyed changing various parts as they gave up the ghost.

I think I am ready to try a road bike. I'd go for alloy but I can see the price of carbon frames has plummetted while I was learning to cycle, so I am quite tempted. I see many here stating that the RX-58 Carbon by Planet-X is a perfectly OK frame. Can I check with you whether this comment applies to someone heavier than average (90kg) who would need a fairly comfortable bike? I do 15miles daily without a problem and want to do longer stints at weekends.

If the frame is fine, can I ask you for advice between the

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58RIV22BNC/planet-x-rt-58-carbon-sram...

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58CTIA/planet-x-rt-58-shimano-tiagra-...

Shimano or or Sram? Both at £799 right now.

I've been with Shimano on previous bikes but they were cheap groupsets so I guess these are completely different pieces of kit.

Thanks!

Alex

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

74 comments

Batchy replied to Chasseur Patate | 9 years ago
0 likes

According to Planet X their RT 58 is their design and mold. I read somewhere recently that the bike that Cadel Evans won the time on (and consequently the TdF ) was an open mold Chinese made frame badged up as BMC. Also the same frame was sold by several other outfits including PX. Though I personally cannot prove this. But what's good enough for Cadel is certainly more than good enough for me !

Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes

I could be wrong but there does seem to be Abit of a split between racers and club riders on one side and sportive types on the other? Not meaning any offence at all by this - and please correct me if I'm wrong. Clearly these two groups of cyclists have different needs - something to consider.

LeighNichol | 9 years ago
0 likes

My friends carbon Focus cracked all the way down the top tube. That wasn't a cheap bike. I've done 4,000 miles on my Planet X pro carbon with no issues whatsoever, I've also got a Giant Defy, which regularly gets rave reviews and best bike awards. Personally find the Planet X more comfortable, plus it's faster and lighter. If that is what low end carbon is like I'll take it.

allgearnoidea | 9 years ago
0 likes

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/ a great website to showcase carbon from all manufacturers

doom and gloom fishwives -  41 brillaint

Mrmiik replied to allgearnoidea | 9 years ago
0 likes

That's a great website... From 2011...

I think the amount of watts you are putting down have more of a bearing on frame failure than weight.

allgearnoidea replied to Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes
Mrmiik wrote:

41 thanks for clearing that up

Mrmiik replied to allgearnoidea | 9 years ago
0 likes
allgearnoidea wrote:
Mrmiik wrote:

41 thanks for clearing that up

No probs  3
I do enjoy that site, but the age of the most recent entry does point to the progress made in improving the durability of carbon, non?

redmeat | 9 years ago
0 likes

Done just over 5,000 miles on my PX pro carbon and it hasn't spontaneously combusted.

BigAl68 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I am a big 15 stone lad who has put 7000 plus miles in on my RT58 and have had no issues. B  3

Batchy | 9 years ago
0 likes

I just thought that I would add my twopence worth regarding PX RT58 Carbon. I cycle around 6 or 7k miles p a. I have been riding a Schwinn Fastback Pro alloy /carbon for 10 years and it is still going strong. I believe that this Taiwanese frame was also sold under the Planet X brand name ? Anyway I've just built up a new bike using a PX RT58 carbon frame (Incidentally IMO you're not a real cyclist until you can build and repair your own kit)-It has full ultegra 10s and Kysirium Elite wheels and it weighs in at 7.45 kg or 16lbs 7oz.
I have so far test ridden this bike about 175miles and every thing is now bedded in and adjusted to my liking. To put it bluntly this bike is pure joy to ride. It handles superbly. It is very stiff yet comfortable and it handles like a dream and it is a real looker. Oh! And it goes like s..t off a shovel ! ! ! The first main test will be Tour de Yorkshire Sportive on May 3rd but there again it might not last that long according to some of the dome and gloom old fishwives that inhabit this blog !

Chasseur Patate replied to Batchy | 9 years ago
0 likes
Batchy wrote:

The first main test will be Tour de Yorkshire Sportive on May 3rd but there again it might not last that long according to some of the dome and gloom old fishwives that inhabit this blog !

Doom and gloom old fishwives? More than happy to provide photographic evidence to back up the broken frames I described. I don't care what people ride, I just think people should know what they're getting for their money.

Yes they're cheap, for a reason.

Batchy replied to Batchy | 9 years ago
0 likes
Batchy wrote:

I just thought that I would add my twopence worth regarding PX RT58 Carbon. I cycle around 6 or 7k miles p a. I have been riding a Schwinn Fastback Pro alloy /carbon for 10 years and it is still going strong. I believe that this Taiwanese frame was also sold under the Planet X brand name ? Anyway I've just built up a new bike using a PX RT58 carbon frame (Incidentally IMO you're not a real cyclist until you can build and repair your own kit)-It has full ultegra 10s and Kysirium Elite wheels and it weighs in at 7.45 kg or 16lbs 7oz.
I have so far test ridden this bike about 175miles and every thing is now bedded in and adjusted to my liking. To put it bluntly this bike is pure joy to ride. It handles superbly. It is very stiff yet comfortable and it handles like a dream and it is a real looker. Oh! And it goes like s..t off a shovel ! ! ! The first main test will be Tour de Yorkshire Sportive on May 3rd but there again it might not last that long according to some of the dome and gloom old fishwives that inhabit this blog !

Two weeks to go to TdY Sportive and the RT 58 is still in one piece and riding like a dream . Only 600 hard hilly Lake District miles on it though, I suppose there's plenty of time for some serious spontaneous combustion yet so I have the old Schwinn Fastback Pro lubed and pumped just in case!

Batchy replied to Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes
Batchy wrote:
Batchy wrote:

Two weeks to go to TdY Sportive and the RT 58 is still in one piece and riding like a dream . Only 600 hard hilly Lake District miles on it though, I suppose there's plenty of time for some serious spontaneous combustion yet so I have the old Schwinn Fastback Pro lube and pumped just in case!

Further to the above:
Well despite the pissing rain and getting a puncture, the PX RT 58 rode like a dream in the TdY 109k sportive. So much so, that I modestly have to inform you all that I was the fastest 65/69 year old on the day. I am quite sure that the ride characteristics of the RT58 had a part to play in this and low and behold it crossed the line intact and still raring to go !
Please note that in am not employed or sponsored or receive any sort of bung or discount from Planet X. I am open to offers though !

Batchy replied to Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes
Batchy wrote:
Batchy wrote:

Two weeks to go to TdY Sportive and the RT 58 is still in one piece and riding like a dream . Only 600 hard hilly Lake District miles on it though, I suppose there's plenty of time for some serious spontaneous combustion yet so I have the old Schwinn Fastback Pro lube and pumped just in case!

Further to the above:
Well despite the pissing rain and getting a puncture, the PX RT 58 rode like a dream in the TdY 109k sportive. So much so, that I modestly have to inform you all that I was the fastest 65/69 year old on the day. I am quite sure that the ride characteristics of the RT58 had a part to play in this and low and behold it crossed the line intact and still raring to go !
Please note that in am not employed or sponsored or receive any sort of bung or discount from Planet X. I am open to offers though !

timb27 | 9 years ago
0 likes

The Ultegra version was the first of the RT58s in their Sale. They did 100 of em and then switched to the Rival version. I guess it was based on what they had lots of in stock.

A mate of mine passed on the Ultegra one and then went for the Rival one as a) he wanted 34-32 gearing for the Alps and b) he prefers DoubleTap.

Chasseur Patate | 9 years ago
0 likes

Dude who broke his last week is hardly what you'd call large. I don't hate carbon, I have two carbon, one alu and one steel bike, all have their merits. I've just seen Planet X frames fail far too many times to go anywhere near them.

I'm sure my clubfeet would be happy for me to stick the pic up of his, depending what he gets back from them now it's gone back for inspection.

PonteD replied to Chasseur Patate | 9 years ago
0 likes
Chasseur Patate wrote:

I've just seen Planet X frames fail far too many times to go anywhere near them.

You do know you're just encouraging me to buy a new bike? Those Ti frames are looking more and more attractive with every post you guys write.

Chasseur Patate replied to PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes
dazwan wrote:
Chasseur Patate wrote:

I've just seen Planet X frames fail far too many times to go anywhere near them.

You do know you're just encouraging me to buy a new bike? Those Ti frames are looking more and more attractive with every post you guys write.

To provide balance, I've seen a Litespeed Ti frame crack too.

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just to make the Carbon haters happy: https://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3577

Aluminium frame, full Shimano 105, 8.2kg claimed weight  4

davieke | 9 years ago
0 likes

Maybe a bit left field but how about:
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/ZXMAYPXRT58C/planet-x-rt-58-carbon-road-fra.... £339.99 until midnight tonight.
http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product-info.php?Cero_AR24_Alloy_Clincher.... £175 wheels as already suggested. And seem to come with free tyres.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/gsd/road-track-bike/shimano-105-5800-black.... £298.95.
That's £813.94 for a full carbon 105 11 speed setup with a decent pair of wheels. And you get to make the bike yourself which can only be a good thing.

Just a thought.

alexwlondon | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks everyone for your comments. I really appreciate you're taking the time to post and advise me.

I feared it'd be a can of worms and, inevitably, it is. The comments on carbons snapping got me a little worried. I know I have nowhere near the power of a keen club cyclist (I wish!) but, as I said, I am heavier than most and certainly keen to come home in one piece after a Sunday ride.

Other than safety considerations, from your comments I see there's not a huge amount of difference between a good Al frame and a cheapish Carbon like an rt58, so I should probably consider the wheels and groupset more than I did so far. On this basis perhaps the Tiagra should be out and I should either get the RT58 Rival or look elsewhere.

I've taken a look at Nixster's suggestion (thanks!) and Winstanley do have Merida Scultura Carbon Comp 904 2014 Bike at £799 which seems OK and it gets decent reviews
http://road.cc/content/review/67273-merida-scultura-comp-904
or the quoted Alloy at £635.

I read that the Rival is probably better than the 105. But if I should worry about safety of the frameset and the Merida gets better word in the street I should probably either go for that or consider a high-end Al alloy.

In my decision I am keen to 1) just get one and get on with it - anyone of these will be a huge step from my current bike! 2) get something I can learn to service as I like learning and fiddling around (maybe the 105 is better for me in this respect?); 3) be a little mindful of comfort (I am not in my twenties any more and I am no longer made of muscle only - not that I ever was).

Chasseur Patate, how did you get it with the Ultegra at that price? Do PX change their prices often or did you get a discount with a club?

Thanks for any further comments!

Alex

Mrmiik replied to alexwlondon | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi Alex, rival is easily better than 105 imo!

The only bike ove built from scratch is a Force 22 build and it was surprisingly easy to work on. Not sure about Shimano cranks but I've found SRAM easy to service. I don't think either are better or worse for servicing!

Enjoy whatever you get.  1

alexwlondon replied to Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes

Great to know - thanks!

twowheeltoys | 9 years ago
0 likes

I know you are asking for advice specifically about Planet X bikes but my £800 would be going elsewhere.
My £800 would be going to Winstanleys as they have a Merida Scultura Alloy 904 2014 bike at £635, especially as it is in my size M/L 54 (more like a 56 in trek or specialized) and a set of better wheels (something like Cero A24 - approx 1550gsm at 175 from Cycle Division). If you really want carbon they have the equivalent carbon bike with a big discount in loads of sizes at £799. Not quite full 10 speed 105 but v.good for the money. Personally I had a Scultura Alloy a few years back, frame stiff enough not too flex but not shake out your fillings, full carbon fork, brilliant bike. (I am a similar weight to you as well)

Nixster | 9 years ago
0 likes

I believe the OP asked about Shimano versus SRAM in the original post?

I've had Tiagra - it ain't pretty but it works.

But more to the point the SRAM bike is GREEN - it's a well known fact that green bikes are bad luck and if you buy it horrible things will happen. So don't get it.

Which is about as based in evidence and logic as all the 'carbon bad alu good/alu bad carbon good' comments you're going to get on here.  4

Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes

"Planet X are a pile it high and sell it cheap kind of company. That's always going to annoy some, as it's the opposite end of the spectrum from the romantic view of legendary cycling brands. They will talk about soul and heritage, while PX focus on volume and value."

Not sure what your point is here really. Value is highly subjective. Bikes that break through normal riding yet are 'affordable' are not good value. Planet x is cheap and a lot of their stuff borders on tat. I've got some bits of kit that I use for shitty weather, and their bottle cages are awesome.

Unsure why you are bringing Colnango and the whole 'heritage' esque stuff in here; it seems abit tangenty...

There isn't anything particularly lenegendary or romantic about cannondale, Spez and the like, other than they make fantastic bikes.

While we are the subject of climbing, I'll assure you that a cheaper Alu frame (perhaps from Planet X or ribble!) will be way stiffer for hitting the bergs than low end carbon. Heck, Alu can give high end carbon a run for its money!

One of my brothers club mates has a PX carbon - he still misses his CAAD.

timb27 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Its not about carbon vs alu, it's what is the best bike you can get for the money (as in best FOR YOU).

On that basis, the Rt58 with Rival for 800 quid is a bloody good buy. I bought the Ultegra version for the same price last month, and so far I'm delighted.

Not a full gruppo, but the FSA brakes are fine and with better pads they'll be great. The FSA chainset is lighter than Ultegra and I quite like the look of it. I got Campag Khamsins which are perfectly good basic training wheels, will be the first upgrade I buy.

Planet X are a pile it high and sell it cheap kind of company. That's always going to annoy some, as it's the opposite end of the spectrum from the romantic view of legendary cycling brands. They will talk about soul and heritage, while PX focus on volume and value.

When I can build my dream bike on a money's no object basis, it's unlikely to be a PX. For now, it's the best bike I could get for my budget and when I'm cycling up the Croix de Fer as quick as any Colnago, I shall be as happy as a pig in shit.

Enjoy.

Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes

You do hear that the cheaper carbon frames are not particulary tough. There could be reasoning behind this. Carbon frame failures were much more common in years past. The costs of developing a carbon frame and creating the moulds are significant. PX will be buying an open mould (even if they own the rights to that specific mould) and using the more affordable grades of carbon fibre.

Now obviously racers and club riders will be putting far more watts down and straining the frame.... But it is something to consider.

I've had three bad crashes on my Cinelli. The frame has been fine. All frame materials can fail.

If I was getting a budget carbon bike, I'd look at Dolan or Ribble first.

Chasseur Patate | 9 years ago
0 likes

A friend of mine is weighing up between a Planet X and a Ribble at the moment, I provided him the same cautionary tale as that I'm about to tell you:

Food for thought, but one of my club mates' Planet X snapped in the middle of the drive side chain stay last week. Not crashed, just snapped whilst riding. This is the third Planet X bike I've witnessed snap or seen immediately after it has. Another snapped on the top tube just going round a corner in a crit, the other was offside chain stay near the BB. None have come from crashes. The only other carbon frame I've ever seen snap in my life was a Specialized tarmac and that was in a crit crash.

There's a reason they're cheap.

Pages

Latest Comments