Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro D'Italia Stage 16

I only had 6 transfers left, so why did I use three of them for today? I didn't even have Porte to take out!
Should be good veiwing though.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

62 comments

Aragonite | 8 years ago
0 likes

The Moviestar rider in 14th was Anton, not Intxausti.

Philip Unwin | 8 years ago
0 likes

1 Landa (AST) 5:02:51
2 Kruijswijk (TLJ) +0:38
3 Contador (TCS) +0:38
4 Trofimov (KAT) +2:03
5 Amador (MOV) +2:03
6 Hesjedal (CAN) +2:10
7 Aru (AST) +2:51
8 Caruso (BMC) +3:16
9 König (SKY) +3:19
10 Betancur (ALM) +3:19
11 Geniez (FDJ) +3:19
12 Van den Broeck (LTS) +6:18
13 Monfort (LTS) +6:18
14 Anton (MOV) +6:18
15 Pirazzi (BAR) +8:10
16 Atapuma (BMC) +8:10

GW
1 Contador (TCS) 65:04:59
2 Landa (AST) +4:02
3 Aru (AST) +4:52
4 Amador (MOV) +5:48
5 Trofimov (KAT) +8:27
6 König (SKY) +9:21
7 Caruso (BMC) +9:51
8 Kruijswijk (TLJ) +11:40
9 Geniez (FDJ) +12:48
10 Hesjedal (CAN) +12:49

TERatcliffe26 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Intauxsti got a couple of points on the first climb

My mistake was going with geschke rather than trofimov. Nevermind ay. At least i can bring in the big 3 sprinters tomorrow

Aragonite | 8 years ago
0 likes

Great ride from Grega Bole, finished 19th.

Dux89 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Anyone know what the Giro's combativity prize is called? Or who won today?

rcorbin | 8 years ago
0 likes

8 of the top 10 plus inxtausti

Only ones I didn't have were Hesjedal and Caruso

Alan Tullett | 8 years ago
0 likes

314 points but only 5th on the stage, same as another sprint stage. Caruso or Betancur better than Intxausti.

What do you have to do to win a stage nowadays?!

Still got 16 transfers though!

triccky100 | 8 years ago
0 likes

ONLY 1,2,3,4,5,7,10 for me, nowhere near the stage win! Low on transfers so yet to get rid of Uran, at least he was close to the top 20 today.....

chrisdstripes | 8 years ago
0 likes

Not to sound like a broken record, but Porte is still listed, as is Gerrans, and maybe more. It really would be helpful if riders that drop out could be removed from the game - pretty please??  1

Some high scores today! Decided the only way to move up the table was with a couple of slightly out-there picks, but unfortunately it was a day for the GC. Will persist with the breakaway picks on Thursday though - its great when it works!

Phil H | 8 years ago
0 likes

Anyone have any thoughts on the 'sportmanship' of Katusha & Astana attacking (&collaborating) whilst Contador sorted out a mechanical?
I thought this was not in the spirit of racing? If hes not strong enough- fair enough attack, but whilst he gets wheelchange?
Much good that it did them anyhow  4  24

_Kasper | 8 years ago
0 likes

I think Katusha was in the clear. Seems like they were attacking before his tire problems?! Astana on the other hand though, kinda unfair, but thats the name of the game. It still wont get them the Maglia Rosa, once Contador gets his footing imo.

enrique | 8 years ago
0 likes

Wow, 354 points or so for the stage winner, that must be some kind of record... What happened to the 'High Scores This Season' page? Is it around somewhere? Sure would be fun to see one... I bet it'd be full of yesterday's scores... It'd be nice to have an All-Time 'High Scores' table, too...

backflipbedlem | 8 years ago
0 likes

my best is 275 for stage 14 of last years Tour de France.
Got me the stage win and a nice set of DHB glasses!  3

Philip Unwin replied to TERatcliffe26 | 8 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

My mistake was going with geschke rather than trofimov. Nevermind ay. At least i can bring in the big 3 sprinters tomorrow

As long as they're not timed out. There were a few being dropped on the first climb. Long way to go after that.

ibaldwin1993 replied to Dux89 | 8 years ago
0 likes

"FIGHTING SPIRIT (SPONSORED BY PITTAROSSO)

Now we’re getting to the more convoluted prizes. This is a measure of aggression and hands out points for competing for categorised climbs, intermediate sprints, and stage finishes.

A daily prize of €300 is up for grabs, and the man with the most total points after the final stage wins €4000. Notice how this prize isn’t decided by a panel as it is in Le Tour."

From here: http://inthedrops.net/2015/05/19/what-can-you-win-at-the-giro-2015/

At a guess I'd say its likely to be Ryder or Kruijswijk

Alan Tullett replied to rcorbin | 8 years ago
0 likes
rcorbin wrote:

8 of the top 10 plus inxtausti

Only ones I didn't have were Hesjedal and Caruso

Very similar to my team except I had Hesjedal and not Caruso. I wonder if anyone got the top nine. It's not impossible!

Dux89 replied to Alan Tullett | 8 years ago
0 likes

What are you going to do with all those transfers?

TERatcliffe26 replied to Phil H | 8 years ago
0 likes
Phil H wrote:

Anyone have any thoughts on the 'sportmanship' of Katusha & Astana attacking (&collaborating) whilst Contador sorted out a mechanical?
I thought this was not in the spirit of racing? If hes not strong enough- fair enough attack, but whilst he gets wheelchange?

What goes around comes around

(although im not advocating 2 wrongs making a right)

Alan Tullett replied to enrique | 8 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

Wow, 354 points or so for the stage winner, that must be some kind of record... What happened to the 'High Scores This Season' page? Is it around somewhere? Sure would be fun to see one... I bet it'd be full of yesterday's scores... It'd be nice to have an All-Time 'High Scores' table, too...

325 actually. And there were three of them as well so even if I'd got the right team it'd still be a four-way toss-up or something like that.

My previous best score on a stage was 239 in the Vuelta. Over 300 must be unusual.

enrique replied to backflipbedlem | 8 years ago
0 likes
backflipbedlem wrote:

Got me... a nice set of DHB glasses!  3

Nice!  1

Philip Unwin replied to Philip Unwin | 8 years ago
0 likes
Philip Unwin wrote:
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

As long as they're not timed out. There were a few being dropped on the first climb. Long way to go after that.

I think Geschke was LR

enrique replied to Alan Tullett | 8 years ago
0 likes
Alan Tullett wrote:

... there were three of them...Over 300 must be unusual...

i was looking at that and, I can't confirm this, but I think this is the 1st time someone gets No. 1 through No. 9 on a stage...  41

The only way possible to have had a better score would be to have chosen Betancur or Caruso over Konig in any of these teams and then they would have had a 'Perfect' score! But only by 2 more points, though!  4 We might see that in the next 2 days, though!  1

ibaldwin1993 replied to Dux89 | 8 years ago
0 likes

"FIGHTING SPIRIT (SPONSORED BY PITTAROSSO)

Now we’re getting to the more convoluted prizes. This is a measure of aggression and hands out points for competing for categorised climbs, intermediate sprints, and stage finishes.

A daily prize of €300 is up for grabs, and the man with the most total points after the final stage wins €4000. Notice how this prize isn’t decided by a panel as it is in Le Tour."

At a guess I'd say its likely to be Ryder

backflipbedlem replied to Phil H | 8 years ago
0 likes
Phil H wrote:

I understand the sportsmanship aspect, but If the 2nd place guy got a mechanical, they wouldnt wait, so why wait for the guy thats winning?
No one waited for Porte when he got a puncture?
It seems a nice idea, but as we've seen in this race already, its a sport which can change completely due to one mechanical or small crash, so just because one guy is winning the race, he shouldn't get preferential treatment over everybody else!

Dux89 replied to ibaldwin1993 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Awesome, thanks for that. Referencing the site of another Redditor too  1

Well if that's the case looks like we're gonna nab 10 more points:

http://www.gazzetta.it/Giroditalia/2015/en/stage/16/standings/fighting-s...

0 likes

Kind of stage I like. Didn't have Caruso though so you never know. Not sure if Intxausti got any mountain points early on and Gazzetta website is slow to put up results!

backflipbedlem | 8 years ago
0 likes

Looking like you smashed it again Alan,
Not having Amador costing me again!
I've got 1,2,3,4,7,9,10

0 likes

Intxausti coming in now I hope, maybe 14th?

0 likes

Hesjedal
Aru
Caruso
Konig

0 likes

Landa wins.
Takes 37 secs plus bonus
Kruijswijk
Contador