Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Garmin Heart Rate Monitor problems.

Can someone help please?

I have a Garmin HRM connected to a Garmin 800. A while back I noticed my heart rate would sporadically stop recording, when it did record I noticed my heart rate was much, much lower than one would expect. Since I first saw the issue, I've cleaned the strap and contacts, replaced the battery, I've tried pretty much everything I can think of to try and it still doesn't seem to record properly.

Currently, it's doing this: turn on Garmin 800 whilst wearing strap and it finds strap immediately but doesn't record a beat, go for a hard ride where I'd expect my rate to be 160 BPM + and it records a max of 85, as I cool down it stops recording again, despite still being connected.

Any advice, even if to tell me it's kaput!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

Leeroy_Silk | 6 years ago
1 like

I'm surprised to see this pop up again seeing as I initially asked the question in Feb 16. 

Anyhoo since binning the Garmin strap and replacing with a Polar well over a year ago it's not missed a single beat!

HurdyGurdy | 6 years ago
0 likes

There is a whole thread on this topic on DC RainMaker. Someone came up with the fix which  was to cut the strap between the two connection points. For some reason, obviously no proof as of yet but about to do the same,  that seems to have fixed issues for lots of posters. Something to do with crossover signal between the two measuring areas when the band itself gets soaked from sweat. Given I have the exact same problem and a spare strap, going to give it a try ... or off to Decathlon for that geonaute.

Note - anyone trying this, don't blame me if it doesn't fix it! 

madcarew | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm the same as Barry Bianchi. I've got 3 garmin straps from 7 years to 2 years old. Never had a single problem with them. I do know that when it's only showing half the normal rate it means only one side of the sensor strap is working. I have had a couple friends have that. It's a replace job. Garmin both times was good at sorting it, giving one a replacement under warranty though it was just out of warranty, and the other one got a new strap for a very modest cost.

BarryBianchi | 6 years ago
1 like

I don't get this.  I've had 3 garmins with chest straps, and they have all worked fine, with no need for gel and phaffing, and have always given sport-on readings.  The only very occasional niggle is putting on the strap if it's really cold and my skin is completely dry, when licking a finger and wiping the back of the sender unit sorts it everytime.  So I'd say if it's giving this much hassle, there is something wrong with the hard/software/both, or as I've seen quite a few people doing, you're wearing it over your guts, not chest?

Unlike the HRM readings from my FR235 watch to the 800, though, which are total bobbins. Fine on its own with the occasional glitch, but poor when paired.

theironduck | 6 years ago
0 likes

+1 for ultrasound gel (about a pea's worth spread over the contact patches)

Also, are you sure you are wearing it in the right place?  I used to have problems with mine if I wore it too low down - it seemed to pick up running cadence rather than heart rate.

Stirlandd | 6 years ago
0 likes

Used cat eye, polar, and varios others. Now on Wahoo. & Elemnt bolt. I'm Well impressed  with the package..automatically set max HR by age.  But like most of the others,  when I hit the "Redline" the heart rate goes ballistic. Instantly hits insane figures. It  looks like, recovering  back down  to 90% ish. or there about it comes back in line ??? 

Lamb Henry | 6 years ago
0 likes

I use a Mio heart rate minitor (chest strap version) without problems,. I used it over the last few years probbabbly about 300 times.

Retfordwilier | 6 years ago
0 likes

Easy fix for this, you need to 'short out' the system to reset it.

Put the battery in upside down for about a minute, then install the correct way as usual

sergius replied to Retfordwilier | 6 years ago
0 likes

Retfordwilier wrote:

Put the battery in upside down for about a minute, then install the correct way as usual

I tried that 3 times after internet searches suggested the same, it didn't work for my one.

daveg00 replied to sergius | 6 years ago
0 likes

sergius wrote:

Retfordwilier wrote:

I tried that 3 times after internet searches suggested the same, it didn't work for my one.

ditto for me, no dice

sergius | 6 years ago
0 likes

I did use a Garmin HRM strap which came with my Edge 1000.  It stopped working when I changed the battery after a couple of years...

I ended up going for a Scosche RHYTHM+ (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/scosche-antbluetooth-optical.html) after reading the DCRainmaker review.  Worn on the upper arm underneath my jersey - have been very happy with it.

Kinda awkward to get hold of in the UK mind, ended up costing me about £75 from Amazon so a fair bit more pricey than the Garmin/Polar versions.

davel | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm onto Wahoo tickr now: still doing the washing thing, but no problems, and at least you can buy the strap separately (as opposed to having to get the strap plus transponder thing as a package, like you do with Garmin). The screws on the old Garmin transponder were ridiculous too - tiny things whose heads would round if you looked at them the wrong way.

I've had a couple of other Garmin sensors (cadence and speed) seemingly just need a new battery and then not come back to life after that's replaced, so I'm done with them when you can get cheaper, more reliable sensors from other companies.

daveg00 | 6 years ago
0 likes

My 2-bobs worth:  i have had my garmin hrm for about 2 years.  Last couple months it started to not detect heart rate (or it detected say 80 bpm when it was in reality almost double that) then recently it wouldnt pair with the Garmin 510 head unit at all, replaced battery, washed the strap (again) to no avail.  Bought a $8 polar strap,  attached the sensor module and it paired/worked straight away .

FMOAB | 8 years ago
0 likes

An alternative setup is the Geonaute hrm from Decathlon.  More comfortable and easier to replace the battery when required.

Leeroy_Silk | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks everyone for all the advice, at least it seems it's the strap that's the issue and not the transponder. 

I'll give the strap one final wash and if it still plays it'll be in the bin and replaced with a Polar.

700c | 8 years ago
0 likes

Weird. My soft Garmin strap has been fine since I had it (18 months, intermittent use)

Stupid question, but are all those reporting problems thoroughly wetting the three contact points before use? It will continuously drop out if you don't.

sergius | 8 years ago
1 like

I've had no problems with mine (around 1 year old, ride around 5-6 hours a week on average, washed about every 1-2 months), but from what I've read the hairer the chest the more common the problems, anecdotal of course.

TheFatAndTheFurious | 8 years ago
0 likes

In my opinion the Garmin soft straps are just a POS and not fit for purpose. 

I went through two with exactly those symptoms. Garmin replaced both under warranty, but I've just kept the last one in the box for emergency standby. A friend gave me an old Garmin HRM1G "hard" strap which paired up with my 800 without issue and has not missed a step in 2 years, though it does seem to be sensitive to flappy clothing until I get properly warmed up (i.e. sweaty). Any ANT+ replacement strap should suffice. 

I've heard of people having success with ultrasound gel, but my advice would be to give up on these straps entirely and get something else.

mrmo | 8 years ago
1 like

on dreamlx10's point, i didn't need to do any trimming to my polar strap. Only been a few months but have no issues at all using a polar strap and a garmin transmitter.

davel | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yeah mine hiccupped and then just died about 6 months ago (did the whole change battery, clean etc), so I binned it and bought a new one. I did some googling and loads of people have the same issues - but it seems that other brands have similar ones too. The favourite explanation seems to be build-up of salt.

Garmin's advice on maintenance has changed - used to be wash every 7 wears; now it's rinse/soak after each use, and wash after every 7. I've followed this and not had any issues - but it's still only 6 months old (of really regular use though - 60k commutes 3,4,5 times per week, plus the other usual stuff including runs).  The contacts are a slightly different layout on this new one so they have changed it over the past couple of years.

Hopefully this one will last a bit longer than my last one (18 months) but I figure the worst case is I have to replace it every year or two, and you can usually get them for about £20 on sale.

dreamlx10 | 8 years ago
2 likes

Buy a Polar strap and attach the sensor from the Garmin, takes a bit of trimming with a Stanley knife but works and is much more reliable.

kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes

Best advice is to chuck the peice of shit in the bin

Mine played up within 2 months of use, Garmin replaced it and that one played up too

Lots of people have problems with the Garmin straps even when following the instructions to a tee

Latest Comments