Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

waterproof overgloves?

Hi

I have some lush Grip Grab gloves which have the gel pads on them - they help me loads as I have issues with carpal tunnel.  They are awesome but unfortunately not waterproof.  Are there any gloves on the market that are really thin but completely waterproof?  Or does anybody use anything like surgical gloves etc over the top?

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

mattydubster | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies folks.  I come from a watersports backround - I used to kitesurf in snow so can see the benefits of neoprene.  But I'm sort of done with neoprene now.  I like the idea of normal latex/surgical gloves just in case i get caught in a saudden downpour, but I really woud prefer to be toasty warm AND dry - so may go down the glove liner route, take a couple of pairs out with me and change halfway through.

gthornton101 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've got some ski style gloves from TK Maxx.  Dead cheap, very warm, and I'd rate them highly on the water repellant scale.  Certainly not claiming to be waterproof, but I can ride an hours commute in the rain with them and my hands are all good.

Gloves designed for other sports (like skiing) seem to provide the same performance for much less cost than "cycle specific" ones.

kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

I wear silk liners under neoprene outers for commutes up to an hour in the winter. Silk liners are cheap (a fiver from Decathlon I think), washable, and quick to to dry so I have a couple of pairs on rotation. Certainly cuts down on the unpleasant clamminess you get with neoprene.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Forget waterproof gloves if you're riding for more than 30 mins with any effort.  Your hands will sweat and the inside will be jus as wet in no time.  Take 2 or 3 pairs and swap once they become sodden.  Preferably dont ride if its going to rain heavily-unless you're a commuter by cycle.

Mystery Machine replied to CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

CXR94Di2 wrote:

Forget waterproof gloves if you're riding for more than 30 mins with any effort.  Your hands will sweat and the inside will be jus as wet in no time.  Take 2 or 3 pairs and swap once they become sodden.  Preferably dont ride if its going to rain heavily-unless you're a commuter by cycle.

I agree with CXR94Di2. The best solution I've found for heading out on long rides into potentially bad weather is to rely on gloves with undergloves (I have a couple of pairs of Gore glove liners which work with both full finger gloves and fingerless mitts). I also take some of the polythene disposable gloves. This gives me an opportunity to change into dry glove liners, with the polythene disposable gloves on top to prevent them from becoming instantly soaked when I put the (wet) top gloves/mitts on again.

I also take spare dry socks with appropriate size plastic bags to go over them to use once my shoes/winter boots and socks have soaked through (and they will do, if the rain continues long enough).

It is possible to stash this lot in a container in my second bottle cage (and I don't tend to need two bottles of water outside the summertime).

NB this plan was developed after some very miserable wet rides!

Goldfever4 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Don't forget the stink, too

don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
0 likes

I tried neoprene many years ago, christ they were cold for the first half hour or so.

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Neoprene doesn't breathe and just holds the wet, warms the water slightly but that's it.

Johnnystorm | 6 years ago
0 likes

Glacier Glove perfect curve neoprene are excellent but do get smelly if you use them for very long rides or many days on the road.

Drinfinity | 6 years ago
0 likes

Best results for me from neoprene. I tried out the gloves I use for kayaking, and they were warmer than sealskins. I found sealskins sweaty till they started to leak. Then they were leaky and sweaty. 

Tjuice | 6 years ago
1 like

Option:

Use some of those plastic gloves they have in petrol stations to keep fuel off your hands when you fill the car.  They're mostly big enough to go over the top of your regular gloves (unless you use lobster mitts, like me) and keep the worst of a downpour off. 

Of course, they're not brilliant if your plan is to go for a long ride in the rain, but they are small to stow and convenient if you're caught by a rain shower mid-ride, or are only out for a short while.

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

best sub zero gloves and waterproof I've owned (& Still do) are Polaris Extreme but they are no longer made, they're a fairly bulky (but still flexible) gauntlet though. They have a hypora liner to comliment the outer glove.

fenix | 6 years ago
1 like

I've some sealskins that are waterproof. I know this cos I use them when I wash the bike down with a bucket and sponge after.

What will happen is that you sweat lots from your hands so gloves get damp or water runs or wicks down your sleeves into the gloves.

Warm is more achievable than dry.

kevvjj replied to fenix | 6 years ago
0 likes

fenix wrote:

I've some sealskins that are waterproof. I know this cos I use them when I wash the bike down with a bucket and sponge after. What will happen is that you sweat lots from your hands so gloves get damp or water runs or wicks down your sleeves into the gloves. Warm is more achievable than dry.

Yep. Agree totally.

Depending on your style of riding your hands will get just as wet inside as outside without the waterrproof 'breathable' membrane.  Neoprene gloves will keep your hands warm but not dry. 

Grahamd replied to kevvjj | 6 years ago
0 likes

kevvjj wrote:

fenix wrote:

I've some sealskins that are waterproof. I know this cos I use them when I wash the bike down with a bucket and sponge after. What will happen is that you sweat lots from your hands so gloves get damp or water runs or wicks down your sleeves into the gloves. Warm is more achievable than dry.

Yep. Agree totally.

Depending on your style of riding your hands will get just as wet inside as outside without the waterrproof 'breathable' membrane.  Neoprene gloves will keep your hands warm but not dry. 

+1 for Sealskins.

LastBoyScout replied to Grahamd | 6 years ago
0 likes

Grahamd wrote:

kevvjj wrote:

fenix wrote:

Yep. Agree totally.

+1 for Sealskins.

-2 for SealSkinz.

My experience of SealSkinz (2 pairs) is that they are waterproof in both directions - i.e. the breathability is crap. This means they stick to your hands getting them off and then it's all but impossible to get your hands back in.

I never get this problem with my gloves that have GoreTex (2 pairs) or eVent (1 pair) membranes.

Flying Scot replied to LastBoyScout | 6 years ago
1 like

LastBoyScout wrote:

Grahamd wrote:

kevvjj wrote:

fenix wrote:

Yep. Agree totally.

+1 for Sealskins.

-2 for SealSkinz.

My experience of SealSkinz (2 pairs) is that they are waterproof in both directions - i.e. the breathability is crap. This means they stick to your hands getting them off and then it's all but impossible to get your hands back in.

I never get this problem with my gloves that have GoreTex (2 pairs) or eVent (1 pair) membranes.

-3 I was very disappointed with Sealskinz, not breathable or waterproof in my experience.

BudgieBike | 6 years ago
0 likes

Neoprene is apparently the answer. I have same issue. Looking to get a budget pair and see what happens 

Redvee replied to BudgieBike | 6 years ago
0 likes

BudgieBike wrote:

Neoprene is apparently the answer. I have same issue. Looking to get a budget pair and see what happens 

I've got some Hot Tuna ones from Sports Direct but not tried them yet as I keep forgetting to try them when it's raining. Look in the swimming section for them.

https://www.sportsdirect.com/hot-tuna-water-sport-gloves-888092?colcode=...

Flying Scot | 6 years ago
0 likes

Mike calls it right IMO, though he has 10 years on me!

kamoshika | 6 years ago
1 like

I like the look of the Dissent 133 gloves, from the people behind Hunt wheels. I've placed a pre-order for the system which includes silk base layer, warm mid layer, and either windproof or waterproof outers. You can also buy each of the layers separately, which might work for you.

mike the bike | 6 years ago
5 likes

After fifty years of cycling in the rain I have reluctantly reached the conclusion that even waterproof gloves leak.  The money I've wasted trying to keep my hands dry would pay for me to ride somewhere where it never rains.

Latest Comments