Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro d’Italia

Yeah.... finally a GT. 

Should be interesting. Not the strongest line up we'll ever see but that might be a great chance for the under card.... 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

103 comments

Dr Winston replied to dave atkinson | 1 year ago
0 likes

Brill.. nice. Caleb and Valverde did for me... I'd still pick the same two if they replayed it tomorrow though. 

Condor Andy | 1 year ago
0 likes

Oh yeah, I remember why I had trouble with the intermediate sprint points last year. The Giro website only posts the top 5 and points for the sprint competition. Not the points comp or the bonus seconds. Looks like I'll need to go digging for the proper ones.

Daniel Norton replied to Condor Andy | 1 year ago
0 likes
Condor Andy replied to Daniel Norton | 1 year ago
0 likes

Got the 1st inter results from the new First Cycling live page, but that works too!

tony kappler replied to Condor Andy | 1 year ago
0 likes

Does anyone know a link to the official intermediate sprint rules? The official website obviously has it wrong, quoting 5 riders scoring 10 down to 1 for both sprints, but then shows the points jersey classification with Tagliani at 24 points (two 1st IS wins), etc. My interpretation is that IS1 offers the first 8 riders  12, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 points and IS2 time bonuses of 3, 2, 1 seconds; this is shown in pcs live stats, (see stage 1).

The SBS (AUS) commentators obviously also don't know, cos they were rabbiting on as to why no sprinters in the peloton were contesting IS2 (stage 3), when the breakaway 3 riders had alreay passed through.

Daniel Norton replied to tony kappler | 1 year ago
0 likes

Your interpretation is right, I think.  That is exactly what procyclingstats and similar are displaying for results.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is another competition or something though.  Apparently there is a separate intermediate sprint comp that isn't the Ciclameno Jersey.  Perhaps those points are for that?

Dr Winston replied to tony kappler | 1 year ago
0 likes

It's a mess because they've tried to combine an IS competition with the bonus seconds for IS2. Overthinking it comes to mind.

I actually used to like the old intermediate competition in the TDF with the accompanying red jersey. It would be interesting to see what effect it would have in modern racing.... especially on a stage like stage 3... 

Condor Andy replied to tony kappler | 1 year ago
0 likes

The offical website has the positions 1-5 for each sprint for the intermediate sprint competition, which has no jersey and is no way affiliated with the points jersey. This is why it's complicated every year.

PCS and First Cycling live stats list the 1-8 positions for the 1st sprint and then who picked up the bonuses at the 2nd so that's what I'm going off.

11waterloo | 1 year ago
0 likes

Ewan must be gutted, survive the climb then come off with the line in sight. I think he was well over his limit and that probably contributed to his fall, but fair play to him. None of the other 'proper' sprinters were even close.

Condor Andy | 2 years ago
0 likes

Yeah values were tough without any of the big guns here and the other stars maybe not having the seasons they were wanting. Should be a fascinating race! I'm expecting many surprises.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 1 year ago
0 likes

Quite a mix of stages for the first few as well... it's a transfer trap. 

Daniel Norton replied to Dr Winston | 1 year ago
0 likes

Just pick puncheurs who can win a bunch sprint and TT.  So pick VDP 8 times and you're laughing.

I see what you mean up to stage 5.  If ever there was an opportunity for clever transfer strategy, that is it.

Dr Winston replied to Daniel Norton | 1 year ago
0 likes

First four stages look very similar to two years ago by profile... but with the first two stages in reverse order. Quite a nice guide to just what a mixed bag we're in for. 

Pages

Latest Comments