Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Recover stolen bike with a GPS

I was a victim of a bike theft around London Bridge, where two individuals, believed to be around 16-18 years old, approached me from behind on a moped with balaclavas, knocking me off my bike and making off with it. Despite attempting to defend myself, they managed to take my bike after pushing me to the ground. I have reported the incident to the police, who are currently investigating. My bike had a GPS tracker which send me an approximate (~50m acurate) location for the bike since the incident, however the police needs an exact location for a warrant which is ashame because these guys are probably still out aggressing more people. Has anyone managed to recover their bike with a GPS tracker ? any tips welcomed. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

on_yer_bike | 1 month ago
3 likes

Sorry to hear your bike was stolen by thugs in such a busy area of town. They are truly shameless. I can fully emphatize with you too - it is one of the most infuriating incidents that has ever happened to me in recent years... but don't do what I did afterwards.

Don't let it consume your every waking hour trawling the Internet looking to piece together clues. The long and the short of it, is that it's extremely hard to recover bikes even with trackers. I have read online in different forums of some success stories - so it can happen. While I was doing my research, I came across a thrilling read of a Vanmooth owner who had his bike stolen in broad daylight (the thief picked it up clean off the ground and carried it over his shoulders down towards Burgess Park. The owner then picks up the bike on his tracker follows in pursuit of recovering the bike.... about 120 comments later on the thread with updates.... Thrilling read, I had to get to the end of it. I was desperate to learn of the fate of the vanmooth!  1
https://www.facebook.com/groups/723199688167679/posts/1309685382852437/ 

olivier2a replied to on_yer_bike | 1 month ago
0 likes

Thanks for your kind words and yes I am typically in the same position, have been crawling from web page to web page in the last few days, including an horrendous video of a victim of motorcycle thief who took the matter in his own hand and killed the thief while chasing his motorbike, or various thugs behind caught up after stealing bikes or phones from victims. I will definitely read your thread on vanmoof. Hope you are good now and back on the road. I am following the tracker and share with the police ... who knows maybe one day they will be caught, it's valuable info for investigation, yesterday evening they brought the bike in a local garage nearby who is probably accomplices.

Latest Comments