Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Star Trek - Strange New Worlds

I'm quickly ploughing through this new Star Trek series in the 7 day free trial of Paramount+.

The original series of Star Trek  (TOS to Trekkies) was national viewing in my childhood and aside from the later series of Next Generation the producers have struggled to match the viewability of the early series.

Then a lot of modern TV series insist on a commitment from the viewer with long and complex story arcs overlaying episodes - and when those story arcs are designed to cover multiple series and then the series gets cancelled, I'm reluctant to commit to viewing a series. Picard was overly complex and tried to be too clever, Discovery had to have a couple of goes to find its feet (which reminds me, have I got time to check out the new series of that with my freebie).

So it's been a really pleasure watching the new series. They've successfully rewound to a lot of what was good about TOS - these are not super-humans, they are a bit argumentative and silly, but the main goodie is we have a series, with individual stand-alone episodes, there are a couple of longer term threadlets but they are minscule, unlike Discovery. Pike is quite in the role of Kirk, bonding with aliens in the bedroom (not just a snog now) and showing off his torso.

It's the best of the recent efforts.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

85 comments

Steve K replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

Oh, I think he could. (As an aside, I know TS's brother a little, but never met Tim himself)

hawkinspeter replied to Steve K | 1 year ago
2 likes
Steve K wrote:

Oh, I think he could. (As an aside, I know TS's brother a little, but never met Tim himself)

Maybe, but I'm a Gary Oldman fan and his Jackson Lamb is just rivetting and amusing. Haven't read the books though so I don't know if he's accurate to the character.

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:
Steve K wrote:

Maybe, but I'm a Gary Oldman fan and his Jackson Lamb is just rivetting and amusing. Haven't read the books though so I don't know if he's accurate to the character.

You must read them. As SteveK correctly says: they're brilliant.

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

You must read them. As SteveK correctly says: they're brilliant.

I think I should, but I know I'll have Gary Oldman's voice in my head whilst reading them.

Steve K replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like
hawkinspeter wrote:
Steve K wrote:

I wasn't disagreeing about Oldman, he is brilliant in the role. And yes, definitely read the books.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

Almost finished season one. I'm not sure why but I actually thought it was another similar Cold Cases or New Tricks show from a partial trailer so hadn't planned on watching it until mentioned here. 

hawkinspeter replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
0 likes

AlsoSomniloquism wrote:

Almost finished season one. I'm not sure why but I actually thought it was another similar Cold Cases or New Tricks show from a partial trailer so hadn't planned on watching it until mentioned here. 

Hope you're enjoying it. We've just finished season 2 (well second time watching for me), so I'm looking for something else now.

In case no-one's mentioned it, The White Lotus is a brilliant dark comedy. Murray Bartlett is superb as the manager in season one and Jennifer Coolidge is brilliant in both seasons.

0 likes

Yes, just finished season one and thought all the characters were well developed and performed and the storyline was very compelling. There was only one scene that I thought was stupid in the last episode in the woods, which as there is no spoiler tags on this forum, I will leave there as you probably know it.

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

Mrs S and I binge watched the whole of The Orville and concluded that it had all the imaginative spirit of TOS and TNG combined, and added in a lot of good thoughtful commentary on life. It helped that they dropped the humans have evolved into being perfect, but they had worked out answers for both tech (I thought the travel forward in time solution was neat and sounded just about plausible given the context) and for the various races raison d'etre - they really don't like religion though, me thinks.

Other Disney+ recent watches: Big Sky, big no (I read another C J Box series and the underlying stories are very American, guns good, backwoodsmen are brilliant at being invisiable and generally having superpowers, one man against the corrupt police and politicians annoying people for being brilliant at solving crimes, this has the same flaws). Old Man, ponderous and confusing.

AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
1 like

Just resurected this as it was almost a general TV thread.

Andor. Brilliant TV and not just as Star Wars. Great attention to detail, some terrific acting and lots of grey rather then just black and white for both sides of the conflict. 

brooksby replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
1 like

Andor is possibly the best of the Star Wars TV shows (IMO even better than the Mando, YMMV, and certainly better than Obi-Wan).

But, then, I liked Rogue One.

0 likes

AlsoSomniloquism wrote:

Just resurected this as it was almost a general TV thread.

Andor. Brilliant TV and not just as Star Wars. Great attention to detail, some terrific acting and lots of grey rather then just black and white for both sides of the conflict. 

That's possibly my favourite current series although I'm really enjoying "All of Us Are Dead" which is a Korean zombie series. The fight choreography is superb along with some excellent zombie acting.

IanMSpencer replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
0 likes

I thought it was Star Wars Colour By Numbers. It could have been any Star Wars film or series. Rebel ducks and dives, rebels betray each other, make alliances, don't trust each other, bond, gain respect and all that, Federation march around with overwelming firepower but are too stupid to fend off the fleas jabbing at them, revolviong mainly around one surprisingly brilliant but flawed hero.

If they are going to do anything with the Star Wars universe that is original, they either need to go to a time before the Federation became evil where presumably it was a Star Trek-like force for good, or into the future where the evil Federation is history. While you have an all-powerful and omnipresent evil Federation, your storylines are really very limited. I suppose they could go for a Sopranos anti-hero plot line, where we end up rooting for the Feds.

brooksby replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
1 like

"Federation"??

ShutTheFrontDawes replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
0 likes
brooksby wrote:

"Federation"??

You never heard of The Federation? What rock have you been living under? In star wars, it's the evil alliance between the Hobbits and the Cylons. With the help of Lord Voldemort, the Federation lay waste to the Discworld. Fortunately the Kaylon get involved and bring Captain Arnold 'Ace' Rimmer back from flatland to rescue Alice from wonderland. A beautiful story.

Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

I know it's not star trek but it does cover the same sort of ground

https://twitter.com/Mike_Hixenbaugh/status/1566443150654296072

"Is there a word to describe when people believe something is ruined simply because Black people exist in it?"

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
1 like

I did get recommended a youtube channel of a known right wing content creator whose title for a video was along the lines that the new series has now changed Aragorn into a black man. This is set around about 1000 years before Aragorn was born so skin colour of his Great x 1000 mother doesn't matter*. The person who is making the video probably has some African dna in his genetic makeup. 

TBH, most people I know are more pissed off with the actual story beats then casting as the actual lore for that era is not owned by them so they are just making it up however they see fit. 

*Not that skin colour matters in this show as actors are cast for their talent and no references are made in show to the skin colour being a thing. 

ktache | 1 year ago
0 likes

In more TV news, and to those who may be interested Stewart Lee's Snowflake will be on BBC2 tonight at 22:30.

And the Tour of Britain was in ITV4 all day, highlights at 8, and the weather in Scotland was very wet, at the start anyway.

ktache replied to ktache | 1 year ago
0 likes

And if you enjoyed Stewart Lee's Snowflake, and I know I did, then his Tornado is on in the same slot next week.

AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
1 like

As this seems to be morphing into a TV show thread. I recommend Smiling Friends from Adult Swim....

ktache replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
2 likes

Me, I'm looking forward to the new series of Rick and Morty, though the repeats on a respectable time on a Sunday.

I'm very glad quizzy Monday is back on bbc2, though they need Mastermind to join for the full quizzyness.

Oh and Bake Off.

Feeling Autumnal. There's that September chill, and the darkness is both later and earlier. Anyone else noticed that the leaves seem to be falling earlier this year, presumably because of the heat and dry?

hawkinspeter replied to ktache | 1 year ago
1 like

I'm a big fan of Rick'n'Morty too.

All the leaves on the ground are due to a 'false autumn' from the unusual heat.

1 like

I'm surprised as he managed to escape your clutches elsewhere. 

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
3 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

I'm a big fan of Rick'n'Morty too. All the leaves on the ground are due to a 'false autumn' from the unusual heat.

I liked the episode where Morty could hear the squirrels plotting...

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

I'm a big fan of Rick'n'Morty too. All the leaves on the ground are due to a 'false autumn' from the unusual heat.

I liked the episode where Morty could hear the squirrels plotting...

I like the way that Rick instantly knows that there's no point in trying to fight them and immediately ditches that entire universe.

I'm also enjoying Andor - the plot really picks up after the first few episodes.

0 likes

AlsoSomniloquism wrote:

As this seems to be morphing into a TV show thread. I recommend Smiling Friends from Adult Swim....

Never heard of that, but looks intriguing - downloading it now.

hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

I'm going to go way off-piste here and give a shout out to Arcane. It's a 2d/3d animated series based on characters from League of Legends though there's no need to have prior knowledge of that (I didn't). Each episode is incredibly packed full with layered visual story-telling and character development - there's barely a wasted minute in the entire series.

1 like
0 likes
AlsoSomniloquism wrote:

And a cracking theme tune. 

Their (Imagine Dragons) animated cameo was a nice touch too.

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

Spoke too soon. They've taken authenticity to TOS(and TNG) too far.

They had to have the fancy dress, sword fighting, medieval comedy episode.

Pages

Latest Comments