Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Trek 2.3 Domane V Giant Defy 0

Simple really which one is better? It will be my first road bike, I want to get fitter, do some decent miles then Sportives. The Trek has 105 whereas the Giant has Ultegra both within £50 of each other. Answers on a postcard please!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Stu172 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm on the outskirts of Birmingham and i reluctantly found myself ordering another bike through the ride to work scheme, in an effort to try to up my pace in general....
On hols at the mo, but Defy 0 ready to pick up....hoping it's quicker than my Sirrus Comp...which, by the way has a 36 ring on the back...so im hoping i'll be able to cope with the really steep stuff etc

Poptart242 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Jumping on here - I've had my Defy 0 for a few months now. Upgraded from a Trek 1.1

Good points:

- So comfy it feels like you're cheating, the geometry is amazing
- 34/32 gearing will help if you need it. Could climb a wall.
- Ultegra rear mech and shifters are great
- Wheels are bombproof
- Handling at speed is smooth and predictable
- Bottom bracket gives nothing away

Bad points:

- Brakes are non-series Shimano. On the list to upgrade
- Wheels, while bomb proof, are a little heavy - have upgraded (but I'm more than happy to have the originals as spares)
- Chainset and front mech are not Ultegra - mech is 105, chainset non-series
- Handling at low speeds is really quite slow
- I don't like the stock saddle, it's quite squishy (personal opinion)
- For a non-aero bike, it does move in the wind a fair bit

Overall - great do all bike. I love it really - coped well on the chain gang, commute, short and long rides so far.

Cheekyjohn replied to Poptart242 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Great comments lots of good detailed info. I haven't got the experience yet to give such a detailed analysis. Which wheels did you upgrade too and have you done the brakes yet?

Poptart242 replied to Cheekyjohn | 9 years ago
0 likes
Cheekyjohn wrote:

Great comments lots of good detailed info. I haven't got the experience yet to give such a detailed analysis. Which wheels did you upgrade too and have you done the brakes yet?

Only fitted the wheels about 20 minutes ago at the LBS (I don't have a chain whip) so I've only rode about a mile back up the hill to the office in my shoes. They seem pretty stiff and relatively light, which was the aim - will update properly after tonight's hilly TT. They are Cero AR24s - they're fairly cheap (£175 + free 25mm Contis, amazing) but stiff, light-ish and the hub sounds  8

There's a thread here where I was asking advice on wheels a couple of days ago:
http://road.cc/content/forum/148182-another-wheel-thread-advice-please-i...

I should have said I've come from MTB where I was used to Hydraulic disc brakes, so my opinion is a little skewed. I haven't upgraded yet but the idea is to go full Ultegra over time so that's what I'll do. Once the pads wear out I'll pick up some swiss-stops.

Jeroen0110 | 9 years ago
0 likes

op: done the test ride yet?

Cheekyjohn replied to Jeroen0110 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Jeroen0110 wrote:

op: done the test ride yet?

Yes I've done my comparisons and have decided to go for the 2015 Giant Defy 0. It's just I will have to wait till possibly week 7 of the new year to pick my bike up!  102 Obviously it's a popular model. Comfort was the same but it's got a mainly Ultegra group set on rather than mainly 105. Can't bloody wait! Will just have keep trail running and using my Trek MTB for now!  36  36  36

Stu172 replied to Cheekyjohn | 9 years ago
0 likes

How's the Defy 0?
I've just ordered one

Cheekyjohn replied to Stu172 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Magic! Simple answer really. First ride out did around 25 miles with no complaints. Since then done upto 45 miles. Still no complaints only time restricts my mileage but feel I could go on and on. Really have no negatives to say. Hope you enjoy it too. Whereabouts are you?

thomas27 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi, have been reading comments on the Trek Domane 2.3 vs Giant Defy 0.

Just to say there is an almost new Trek Domane 2.3 for sale in the Road CC Classifieds.

shuffc | 9 years ago
0 likes

Domane 2.3 is great frame but the kit level is 105 & below

http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/bikes-c97/road-c110/trek-domane-2-3-co...

Defy 0 is £999 and ultegra and below spec

http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/bikes-c97/road-c110/defy-0-ltd-guk-roa...

if you want the extra comfort go for the domane otherwise a good all rounder with the ability to take guards comfortably go for the giant

Jeroen0110 | 9 years ago
0 likes

What price are you looking at these at!? Curious about the Domane myself, let us know your thoughts.

Cheekyjohn replied to Jeroen0110 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Jeroen0110 wrote:

What price are you looking at these at!? Curious about the Domane myself, let us know your thoughts.

Hi yes the Domane was at Evans priced at £950 whereas the Giant was from their store at Liverpool for £999. Am tempted by the Giant as the all rounder plus the Liverpool store do a Watt bike fitting service for £60 if you purchase with them. As I'm very susceptible to all things gadgety then Liverpool is a strong bet!  16

Cheekyjohn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes good answer! I've ridden the Trek which felt very nice. Hopefully trying out the Giant this week  1

Stratman | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ride them both and see which you like best! Both will be very good.

Latest Comments