Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road bike tyres any recommendation

I am after a set of tyres preferably 25mm which could handle weekend rides a couple of sportives and one ride London to Paris.

I did my own research and basically came up this:
Schwalbe durano s,
Schwalbe one
Michelin pro 4
Conti GP4000s2

Any suggestions guys ?

Ta

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

27 comments

bmxboyx01 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Bit late, but I've had some real issues with my 28mm GP 4 Seasons - split around the rim and explosive when the tube is pushed out between tyre and rim. Back to Pro Race 4 for me...

hsiaolc | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have tired all four you've mentioned.

Currently I have the Schwalbe One 28 on F an R. I really like them and I am awaiting a pair of them on the Mason Hunt wheels tubless Schwalbe One.

They all great but I think Schwalbe One grip and rolling wins my vote. Durano S is mostly for winter wheels and I either use that or the Conti 4 season.

Jaynana | 8 years ago
0 likes

i ride on Michelin Pro4 Endurance currently,

having used contis, vittorias before, they certainly have lasted longer!

haven't used Schwalbe yet, perhaps will try that next.

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've had Michelin Pro4 SC's on since November and have been pleased with them. I got a nasty cut in the sidewall a few days ago and have had to switch the rear to my standby Conti Ultra Sport I can't wait to get my new tyres, for the last 2 days it's been like cycling in molasses! I never thought that tyre choice could make such a difference but it has definitely been harder since downgrading my tyre.

I have some Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX II's on order (got a pair for £38 from CRC), I was hoping they'd turn up today but no joy. From reading around they are about on par with the pro4's, I sincerely hope so, all you who have recommended them better be right! (or else  3 )

leveller | 9 years ago
0 likes

My vote goes to Schwalbe Ultremo ZX. Tried Pro 4's for a while but just preferred the Ultremo. Not the longest lasting tyre I've used but man, it rolls well...

Comrade | 9 years ago
0 likes

A tight conti, who'd have thought?

edster99 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Contis are great but they can be a bit tight, the only drawback for me. I'd go for the Vittoria Paves if your rims don't play nicely with the Contis.

Pret | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thank you folks for all the feedback ! Conti 4000s2 has pretty good feedback so will give them a try.

allanj | 9 years ago
0 likes

A vote here for Schwalbe Ones, tougher and gripper than Ultremos, roll just as well.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

GP 4000s last a very long time, so I suspect that the turbos will suffer a much earlier demise.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

GP 4000s last a very long time, so I suspect that the turbos will suffer a much earlier demise.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

...and a general rule for tyre buying; the most expensive race tyre in any manufacturers range will ride the best in terms of feel and grip, but won't last long. All a compromise, as always.
Conti GP4000s are the best trade off between longevity and function, but are a wee bit ...dull... when compared to top-of-the-range race tyres.

Bit like condoms; the thinner the better until they break.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

In fifty years of reading reviews....

And now Mr Cholmondley-Warner will deliver a verdict regarding the most efficacious pneumatic tyre available for mounting to your velocipede....  3

I've just switched from Schwalbe Ultremos to the latest Specialized Turbo tyres; very, very good IMO.

Pret replied to crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:
Quote:

And now Mr Cholmondley-Warner will deliver a verdict regarding the most efficacious pneumatic tyre available for mounting to your velocipede....  3

I've just switched from Schwalbe Ultremos to the latest Specialized Turbo tyres; very, very good IMO.

How does the Specialized turbo stand compare to Conti on mileage wise ?

mike the bike replied to crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:
Quote:

You may mock elderly folk, and you may have youth on your side but I have er, um, aah. I'll let you know when I remember what I have .....

mike the bike | 9 years ago
0 likes

Over the last three or four years the road tyre that has won almost every comparative test is Schwalbe's Ultremo. In fifty years of reading reviews of equipment I have seldom seen such concerted agreement.

rnarito | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have tried the Michelin's, Schwalbe Durano but I always go back to the Conti's. They roll about the same as the other two, but they last longer for me. Another tire to consider that I think is as good as the Continental but have better cornering grip is the Vredestein Fortezza Senso.  1

Tim1.9 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Unfortunately I haven't used any of the others you suggested, but I have found my 25mm GP4000S to be fantastic. Grippy, comfortable and puncture resistant. I'd previously used Conti SportContacts and then Gatorskins in 23mm, and can't believe I didn't switch sooner. I can't imagine putting anything else but GP4000 on a sportive bike now, but given my history maybe I ought to be a bit more open minded!

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

The new Specialized Turbo tyres. 24s and super smooth ride, but will last about 4 weeks...

Must be Mad | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've been a big fan of the GP4000s since I fitted them a couple of years ago. So much faster than other tyres I have tried (although I have no experience of the other tyres on your list ), they grip very well in the dry, and OK in the wet.
They are also amazingly puncture proof - 2 punctures in 6000 miles, and I ride in some ropy old lanes in all kinds of conditions.

the only trouble you may have is getting hold of 25mm versions of them

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Veloflex's....light, 320 tpi and seriously nice ride...also gets you kudos from connoisseur's  3

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Vittoria Diamante Pro IV
Lovely supple 320tpi tyre available in 23, 24 and 25. Seems to be only available from the US or Italy for some reason.

OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes

GP4000 S2 25mm

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

My preferred tyre is Vittoria Open Corsa.
Tried all the ones you mentioned (apart from duranos) and none compare to the Open Corsas.

MrPrice | 9 years ago
0 likes

Continetal GP 4 seasons for me. Had them at 90psi until today and they are great. I'm using the 25mm version.

dunnoh | 9 years ago
0 likes

I ride Vittoria Paves. I tried the Duranos for 3 months this winter and I was very impressed although they were a tad wobbly in the crud and wet. Paves puncture a bit and are a pig to go on, but I can bomb along on them and feel safe and comfortable in rubbish weather.

fukawitribe replied to dunnoh | 9 years ago
0 likes
dunnoh wrote:

I ride Vittoria Paves. I tried the Duranos for 3 months this winter and I was very impressed although they were a tad wobbly in the crud and wet. Paves puncture a bit and are a pig to go on, but I can bomb along on them and feel safe and comfortable in rubbish weather.

I'd second the Pavés, I have the 25mm and like them a lot - bags of grip in the dry or wet, seem pretty robust, comfy ride but lots of feedback and I personally found them very easy to put on the rims (Bontrager Race TLR). Not cheap and they obviously don't feel as silky as some high TPI, lighter tyres but I they've done alright for me, I trust them and would use again.

Latest Comments