Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

200 miles on Christmas Day

Morning all,

Hope it's OK to post this here: finding ourselves in Tier 4, Mrs.H and I have been deprived of seeing family or mates Christmas Day, even for the bike-based present-delivering garden-only fly by we were planning. Mrs H having vetoed my perfectly reasonable plan that we should get stuck into the grog as soon as we awake, we thought we might be able to do a bit of good, so we're going to try and ride 200 miles between us on Zwift on Christmas Day in aid of Toilet Twinning, a charity that builds latrines in developing countries.

25% of the world's population doesn't have access to latrine facilities, with consequences for human health and dignity, particularly for girls and women, that we in the west can only imagine. I know it's been a hard year for everyone and I wouldn't want to pressure anyone into donating if they can't afford to, but if you happen to have a spare charity quid looking for a home - saved from Christmas dinner expenses, maybe? - we'd love it if you'd consider sponsoring us.We're already up to four latrines, anything you can spare would be very gratefully accepted.

Thanks for reading and happy Christmas!

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/200milesonchristmasday

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

44 comments

Rendel Harris | 3 years ago
2 likes

FINAL UPDATE

Dear All,

Thanks to you amazing people, the final total raised by the Christmas Day 200-miler was £1451, 24 toilets' worth. We're absolutely thrilled as are the charity, who just sent us this great poster to share with you showing the facilities with which your funds have been twinned. Thank you so much again, all of you!

R&S xxx

Hirsute replied to Rendel Harris | 3 years ago
1 like

That one top right looks very similar to the one my Nan had when I were a lad !

Rendel Harris replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

hirsute wrote:

That one top right looks very similar to the one my Nan had when I were a lad !

I love the variety - TT provide the hardware, expertise and maintenance education but encourage the use of whatever indigenous materials and building techniques are available, which is one of the reasons they're able to build a new facility for just £60.

7 likes

Just a quick update for all those who so kindly sponsored us, total today with GiftAid £1326, representing 22 desperately-needed facilities in the developing world. Once again, thank you so much for your generosity, in a world gone mad you've really restored my faith in humanity and more importantly done so much good for those who need it. A very, very happy New Year to you all, may the sun always be on your face, the wind at your back, and may someone be waiting with a glass of something sensible at the end of your ride throughout the coming year. Rendel & Susan xxx

Hirsute replied to Rendel Harris | 3 years ago
2 likes

What are you doing for Easter ?!

1 like

hirsute wrote:

What are you doing for Easter ?!

Drinking.

hawkinspeter replied to Rendel Harris | 3 years ago
2 likes

Thanks for putting in all the effort.

(Just found out that the poop deck isn't what I thought it was, so had better go and get a mop.)

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
1 like

Missed this on Xmas day.  Hope you aren't too sore!  Have a small donation from me!

Rendel Harris replied to Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
1 like

Secret_squirrel wrote:

Missed this on Xmas day.  Hope you aren't too sore!  Have a small donation from me!

Thank you so much! You've taken us to over nineteen toilets, and I always promised to round up to the nearest multiple of £60, so that will make a nice round twenty. So very much appreciated.

Think I'm more sore from the celebratory beverages than the ride itself!

Enjoy the rest of the holidays, and peace, love and happiness for 2021 xxx

Hirsute | 3 years ago
3 likes

Great stuff guys

Bogbrush

2 likes

hirsute wrote:

Great stuff guys Bogbrush

Ah, a fellow PE fan! Thanks so much for your support, we're now on over £1K in donations and Mrs H is just over three miles of taking us through the 200 miles! It's been absolutely amazing and it's all down to you wonderful kind people, it's made a Christmas we were expecting always to remember for all the wrong reasons into one we'll always remember for the right reasons! xxx

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Rendel Harris | 3 years ago
0 likes

I sent a ride on and a comment via Zwift but well done. 

Rendel Harris replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 3 years ago
0 likes

AlsoSomniloquism wrote:

I sent a ride on and a comment via Zwift but well done. 

Ah thanks very much, to be honest it's been such a pain blank Imust have missed it! Thank you so much for your support, we really appreciate it, £110+ raised, you guys are amazing!

0 likes

wouldn't be under my name on here, and the comment was on completion and I expect you are sick of seeing the zwift screen within 1 second of completion.

TheBillder replied to Rendel Harris | 3 years ago
0 likes

Rendel, I've been refreshing this page for ages hoping you have finished the challenge & survived it, so I could raise 3 cheers to you both.

But I guess you've more important recovery and general flop tasks to do than update the page, so I'll just say "hooray, hooray, hooray" now. You've done an amazing thing and lots of arses will be more comfortable now because of the pain you and your wife have put your own through. Not to mention the impact on disease control etc.

So a huge "well done"!

Rendel Harris replied to TheBillder | 3 years ago
2 likes

TheBillder wrote:

Rendel, I've been refreshing this page for ages hoping you have finished the challenge & survived it, so I could raise 3 cheers to you both. But I guess you've more important recovery and general flop tasks to do than update the page, so I'll just say "hooray, hooray, hooray" now. You've done an amazing thing and lots of arses will be more comfortable now because of the pain you and your wife have put your own through. Not to mention the impact on disease control etc. So a huge "well done"!

Thank you so much friend, cannot overstate how wonderful the support has been. As you correctly assumed, we finished and hit the beer and then got into the round of calls with mates and family we'd ignored all day! It's probably inadvisable to share this but sod it, if you or someone you know has a Facebook account you can see us closing it out here:

https://www.facebook.com/rendel.harris/videos/10224608317659510

Thank you again for your support and hope you had a wonderful day! A very happy Christmas to you and yours xxxx

1 like
hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
1 like

Happy Xmas to both of you and don't forget about maintaining an aero position - it's like free speed.

Rendel Harris replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Happy Xmas to both of you and don't forget about maintaining an aero position - it's like free speed.

Same to you! I've been trying to draft but the whole of Zwift seems to be people on a cheeky 20k going for maximum burn! However I've just unlocked the Pinarello F8 Dogma so clearly it's going to be a breeze from here...

1 like
Compact Corned Beef | 3 years ago
1 like

Well done you slightly mental pair of heroes! Donated.

Rendel Harris replied to Compact Corned Beef | 3 years ago
0 likes

Compact Corned Beef wrote:

Well done you slightly mental pair of heroes! Donated.

Heroes no, mental indupitably! Thank you so much for your  generous donation, have a wonderful day xxx

1 like
1 like
0 likes

"Pain cave" all set for tomorrow, not my usual Christmas Eve prep...well, it'll be different! Happy Christmas all! xxx

Recoveryride | 3 years ago
1 like

Donation made. Good luck.

Rendel Harris replied to Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

Recoveryride wrote:

Donation made. Good luck.

Thank you so much, you guys are truly wonderful! Through the £800 mark now! So very much appreciated. Have a great Chrsitmas, will post updates here as well as on FB and Twitter. xx

AlsoSomniloquism | 3 years ago
1 like

All the best with it. Make sure the pain cave is setup well to ensure a comfortable attempt is made. 

Rendel Harris replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 3 years ago
0 likes

AlsoSomniloquism wrote:

All the best with it. Make sure the pain cave is setup well to ensure a comfortable attempt is made. 

Thank you and many thanks for your generous donation! Three pairs of headphones are charged, tablet holder on bike, huge amount of energy bars and coffee stocked up! Happy Christmas!

1 like

Fan, preferably of the turbo variety? Sweat catching towels?

If you don't mind, post your Zwift handle so I can give Ride On during it.

Edit: Although you are tag teaming, I think you are only 111 miles off the rapha 500 by that point.

Pages

Latest Comments