Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is it just me or has the racing scene changed?

Okay, so I will probably sound like some bitter has-been or something here, but I thought I'd vent to see if it was just me or if anyone else has a similar opinion.

I started racing in 2014 and managed to get some half decent results in 3/4 road races before a crash in 2015 stalled my season. Other commitments meant I didn't race in 2016 but now I've started again... And kind of wishing I hadn't.

For a start, getting a place in a race seems nigh on impossible and is apparently a matter of who you know and whether you can provide a marshal. If you can't fulfil either of those criteria Your BC racing membership was apparently a total waste of money. Great to see racing so popular, but if it's always the same people racing...

SO, entered a TLI race. No points to pick up but whatever.

My bike is 2014 model. Okay, it has a few knocks and scratches, but the frame is fine and the design hasn't changed for the latest models. Perfect for racing because it isn't the end of the world if you have a touch of wheels. The first thing that someone asked was if that was the bike I was racing on or if I'd brought something better. Could understand if it was a foldable bike, but a TCR Advanced?

Okay, mind games it may be, but looking around it seemed there was no one else there on less than a brand new £5k bike, wearing a state of the art speed suit and a TT helmet.

At the same time I remember rocking up to a race, having a laugh with everyone else and loving how inclusive it was. Now it was just everyone sat about in their 'teams' (I speech marked that because they're still clubs really).

Continuing with inclusivity, I joined a few local racing lads for a week's training in Majorca to kick start my season. Virtually all they talked about was TSS scores and FTPs and other watt-related tedium. The only time they deviated from that was to complain about 'choppers' or 'whoppers' which apparently are people who try racing but haven't been doing it since they were 3 or something.

Maybe I'm bitter, maybe I've just fallen out of love with it all, but it was sad to see in just a couple of years how elitist racing has become.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Jimmy Ray Will | 7 years ago
2 likes

So many points raised in one post. 

First up, I'd say yes, road racing is quite elitist. Not so much in the equipment stakes, but certainly in mental positioning of many road racers. The reason for that is that it has a ridiculously hard point of entry level. 

A 4th cat rider still has to be very fit to be competitive, and alongside that fitness will also need to have developed a core set of riding competences too. 

From that starting point, its no wonder that a lot of road racers may come across as being a bit snobby, a bit aloof around the 'hairy legged chancer'. However, generally speaking, this does not last beyond an initial perception... most racers are fairly modest, and enjoy sharing something extreme with like minded individuals whatever the level. 

As for race popularity, I believe this is an unintended symptom of an initiative implemented by BC a few years back. 

Essentially across the country BC instilled a number of paid officers tasked with increasing participation in sporting competition. These people, by hook or by crook, have inevitably ended up with a significant influence in how regional race calendars look. 

These officers have KPI's around participation levels and grass root engagement. To achieve these, their focus is naturally around 4th and 3rd category events (as these achieve both; high participation levels and bringing new people into the sport) and they work hard to ensure organisers promote relevant 3 /4 cat events to this end. 

Its a win for the organiser as they get fuller fields, and for the riders that get in as they get an experience of riding in a big bunch like the tour de france.

So all good then?  Not quite.

3 and 4 cat events are being organised at the expense of E1 level events, which are being replaced with 234 cat races. This on one level makes total sense, there are loads less E1 cat riders so the calendar can't sustain as many of these events. 

But if you are an Elite or 1st cat rider, there are now very few events to ride, so many 1st cats have deliberately dropped back to 2nd cat. 

The knock on of this is that 234 races are faster than ever, and so now we are seeing 2nd cat riders doing the same, dropping a category down to 3rd cat so they can be competitive. 

Which means three things; 1, the development route for a budding racer is buggered... 2, the entry level to the sport is getting increasingly hard... 3, there are more eligible riders able to ride the events most people are trying to ride, so more people missing out on rides. Organisers have to select fields on something, and choosing riders that are part of a club actively supporting road racing seems fairer than many criteria, however it means that those wanting to try before the buy, are struggling to get rides. 

As for Power talk. Yes its annoying, but its also the biggest step forward in cycling in decades, so understandable. 

peted76 | 7 years ago
1 like

I have nothing to add on the cycling snobbery front, maybe Yorkshire isn't just as Yorkshire as it used to be. Plenty of money spent on bikes round by me, always has been to my mind, no one blinks when someone turns up on a clunker, quite the opposite, most want the clunker to beat the carbon electrics.

For my two penneth, my club has a set of routes which hasn't changed much ever, you can clearly see that the average speeds over the past few years have just shot up, and they keep going up seemingly, the whole club has just got faster and faster, the slow sunday group now averages 19/20, the fast group can average 23/24mph... the whippets, have got whippety'er.  It's changed our Sunday rides from being a come along everyone ride to being un-apologectically elitest indeed. (Don't get me wrong, we have rides all through the week for all types of rider, but the Sunday club run was the one which started it all, has now changed it's tone.)

My point being, that the sport is more mainstream, there are more people doing the sport, which means the 'top tier' gets squeezed, spaces in races aren't growing, but the demand for them is, yes I think racing is becoming more elitest.

What's the answer though?  More races - who's gonna run them, it's a thankless task at best. Open up the field to accept more people per race - that's a no go for safety reasons.

mtbtomo | 7 years ago
0 likes

I think it doesn't seem inclusive if you let yourself think that way. It is very easy to think like that, I have done now and again but just get on and race with the kit you've got.

Cycling is quite an equipment driven sport so it will naturally seem like that, and racing even more so, unlike say running where you need some trainers and a pair of shorts plus t-shirt.

Training with power is just a time effective way of training, so people will talk about training and power naturally. Everyone does say CX is more inclusive though, and this is probably also because it's not effectively race over if you get dropped like it would be in road racing.

trohos | 7 years ago
0 likes

More marketing, more problems!

alotronic | 7 years ago
3 likes

I used to race in the 80s (!) and there were proper tnucs round then, even when clubs were small. They had the best bikes and pro kit (benottos, colnagos, campy record) and never said hello. We just ignored them, or beat them. Half the club was like that, the other half really nice people.  Later me and mates moved to MTB when that kicked in because it was a lot more fun.

I don't really do clubs but there are two local clubs, one known for being racy and the other inclusive. I have ridden a couple of times with the latter and they are nice. I suspect the other club are intense. I guess if you want the intensity you can certainly find it, and if you want a more fun approach then you should find a nicer club, go MTBoing, CXing gravel riding. Road racing has always had a large proportion of arses in it - it's  a hard sport and those who take it seriously can get a bit wrapped up  in it.

The other point above is true too though, you are never quite sure what kind of rider someone is until you get to know them a bit and see through the gear. Sometimes it's the unexpected kind wheel at the end of an epic that really counts, not the attitude at the start line....

Kapelmuur replied to alotronic | 7 years ago
0 likes

alotronic wrote:

I used to race in the 80s (!) and there were proper tnucs round then, even when clubs were small. They had the best bikes and pro kit (benottos, colnagos, campy record) and never said hello. We just ignored them, or beat them. Half the club was like that, the other half really nice people.  Later me and mates moved to MTB when that kicked in because it was a lot more fun.

I don't really do clubs but there are two local clubs, one known for being racy and the other inclusive. I have ridden a couple of times with the latter and they are nice. I suspect the other club are intense. I guess if you want the intensity you can certainly find it, and if you want a more fun approach then you should find a nicer club, go MTBoing, CXing gravel riding. Road racing has always had a large proportion of arses in it - it's  a hard sport and those who take it seriously can get a bit wrapped up  in it.

The other point above is true too though, you are never quite sure what kind of rider someone is until you get to know them a bit and see through the gear. Sometimes it's the unexpected kind wheel at the end of an epic that really counts, not the attitude at the start line....

I was interested in the mention of the Benotto brand. An American friend has a Benotto that he bought when working in Nicaragua. I thought that they were exclusively sold in Latin America and have not heard of them in a UK context before.

Nick T | 7 years ago
2 likes

You can't buy results though, so get yourself into cat 2 asap

tritecommentbot replied to Nick T | 7 years ago
2 likes

Nick T wrote:

You can't buy results though, so get yourself into cat 2 asap

Yeah everyone stops buying drugs and expensive kit online after Cat 3 crying

srchar | 7 years ago
2 likes

It's not just bike racing. Every amateur sport is like this now. People spend more money on it, pro-level gear is more accessible, everybody's trying to get some bragging rights for Instagram or the office. Before the internet came along, if you wanted to participate as a high-level amatuer in a given sport, you had to go and compete for a few years, rub along with people, learn from them and buy your gear from a shop who probably had to order it in for you. Now you can just do some cramming on Google, order your gear from Wiggle and turn up on day one ready to look down on people with aluminium frames and Decathlon shorts.

tritecommentbot replied to srchar | 7 years ago
1 like

Think srchar nailed it when he said it was about pro level kit becoming more accessible.

However opposed to his angle, I actually think that's a good thing. Exclusivity breeds elitism, not the other way around. Democratising posh kit like carbon wheels for example is one of the last hurdles. Carbon frame, great ones are cheap now. Just waiting for wheels. Discs will help that happen.

Have a question though. How do you know someone's actually looking down on you? It can't be from the way they're dressed, or their kit - that would make 'you' the judgemental idiot with a chip on his shoulder, surely?

I see lots of guys out in all sorts of kit, and people generally are very civil. Only cyclists I ever look down on are the ones spitting angstly when another rider is coming up behind them, and there's plenty of folk around. Just looks scummy and sad. Or the guys throwing banana skins on the road. Just silly. 

But they don't know I'm looking down on them. So I do wonder, is this all a matter of feeling looked down upon? 

For the record, I'm not saying that there are people who do look down on you. Of course there are, loads of people like that. But I think it's more naunced than, 'that guy has a Colnago, he must look down on me!'.

Nick T | 7 years ago
8 likes

Well obviously; you have to take it more seriously than anyone else does, otherwise what's the point? What if a photographer from Rapha happens to show up to document the epic suffering you're dishing out, those black and white photos of you cresting the 3% mountain finish behind the industrial estate aren't going to make the cut if you're on some Fred bike with mismatched gear. It's a race mate, ether treat it with the respect it deserves or don't bother turning up. Next time, I want to know about your fasted training the day before, what your current blood sugar levels are, how many shades darker your tan lines are from the Mallorcan Training Camp, and wear your Isotropic HRM Sunglasses with HUD ffs, you look like you only just started cycling last week

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
1 like

What area was this? Yorkshire like the name suggests?

Simontuck | 7 years ago
2 likes

I tried a bit of crit racing last year and although the winners were generally from the bigger clubs and 'teams' there were still plenty there who were on 'reasonably priced' bikes and just there to test themselves. Unfortunately though, racing has got very serious due to its greater popularity and people are prepared to spend their hard earned on it and/ or spend lots of time training really hard to earn equipment sponsorships. Give it a few years and maybe the buzz from being a great cycling nation might die down a bit, the money will dry up and we can go back to how it was.

On the flip side though, club runs and even more casual groups are on the up too. There's often a load of different rides with different average speeds because there are more people getting into the scene. Is there a need to race any more if you aren't super serious about actually winning? I've found since I moved to where I am and keep slightly more regular hours that I'm overwhelmed with opportunities to have fast rides, or slow rides and if I really want to experience that racing buzz I'll go and do a closed-road sportive feel like Wiggo as I speed past all the choppers.

You could always try CX, I hear thats quite friendly.....

davel replied to Simontuck | 7 years ago
0 likes
Simontuck wrote:

You could always try CX, I hear thats quite friendly.....

This.

I haven't done crits for a few years, and didnt do many, so can't really comment on how they've changed, but my local CX league (North West) is well-run, friendly, and you sign up for the season and do as many as you can - or sign up and pay for each race on the day. Last couple of seasons I've only done a couple of CX races, and haven't had a problem turning up on the day. It's probably got a bit more serious in terms of numbers of decent riders and competition - edit: - come to think of it, bikes as well. I hadn't really thought about it til replying here, but there were plenty of MTBs when I first did CX 6 or 7 years ago I think - I used to do it on a MTB myself. You still see MTBs but probably not as high a proportion, I'd guess due to the proliferation of dedicated CX/adventure/gravel/whatever bikes. Anyway, there are enough people doing it to keep fit and have a slide in the mud to keep it fun. Clubs also do CX events so you can give those a go if you don't fancy a league.

Local TTs have definitely got more serious over the past few years: there probably needs to be more events to cater for the numbers. Definitely helps to be a member of a club, there: I know a few people in the local TT scene, but I'm 'between clubs' at the moment and haven't earmarked any TTs this year.

I'm just a tourist at bike races, though: I only really 'race' triathlons, and they're invariably a mix of serious, chopper and first-timer, and friendly for it. Probably also helps that they've exploded in popularity over the past few years, too - and there isn't any doubt that the great choice of events is due to the £££ that the newbies have brought to the party, so there's very little outward snobbery.

Latest Comments