Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Trouble seeing car indicators

Is it just me, or with modern cars is it getting harder and harder to see their indicators, especially during the day? Most cars now have clear lights clusters which incorporate the indicators, which are just a coloured bulb or led. When I see a car on a roundabout or junction I never know exactly where to look to see if it is indicating. On older cars this was pretty easy as the amber lens was easy to pick out but these days it could be any part of the oversized cluster which houses the indicator. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

RMurphy195 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Totally agree with the OP's comments - some manufacturers seem to delight in making the indicators obscure, in the belief that they only need to be seen from ahead and slightly to the left, and can be almost anywhere on the car.

As for the rear ones - they aren't so hot either, those hgh-up and at an angle are particularly bad in sunlight (e.g. Ford Focus)

Oh for the days when there was a big orange lamp on each corner, so you knew what bit to look at!

Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
1 like

Yep, agree. Inboard indicators are not doing anyone any favours, especially during daylight hours with 'always on' lights drowning them out.

700c | 7 years ago
1 like

Yes. Generally those designed with indicators close to, or in the middle of, a cluster with brake lights. The red appears brighter and it's very hard to see the indicator.

kil0ran | 7 years ago
1 like

I think manufacturers are aware of the issue because I've seen newer cars (Volvo particularly) which switch off the eyeball-searing white led DRLs when the indicators are used.

Since DRLs were mandated they've become a design feature, enabled in part by innovation in LED lighting. I recall a lot of resistance from both designers and drivers when DRLs started appearing - people getting fed up with being flashed by other drivers for having their lights on etc. Now they're an important part of the "face" of the car which has an influence on how a prospective owner percieves your vehicle.

Undoubtedly the case that designers have historically done all they can do to avoid having a bit of orange glass on the front of their cars - hence the period where they went with clear lenses and orange-coated incandescent bulbs. Same goes for the side indicators which ended up being moved to the wing mirrors.

I agree though - there's a category of cars which have really poor indicator visibility. I had considered whether it was due to viewing angle (a cyclist eye-level being higher than that of a car driver) but I've certainly had similar issues seeing indicators whilst driving.

Chuck | 7 years ago
1 like

I noticed this more a few years ago, there were some Mercedes models that were particularly bad  and had them in the same big round cluster as the headlights so they just didn't stand out at all.

IMO newer cars are a bit better designed in this regard. I was behind an Audi this morning with LED indictaors that are sort of 'dynamic' and lit up in sequence in the direction of turn - I though they were pretty good. 

As above though the design of indictors is a much smaller problem than the ability or willingness of drivers to use them, even though they literally have to only lift a finger to do it.

The Gavalier replied to Chuck | 7 years ago
0 likes

Chuck wrote:

I noticed this more a few years ago, there were some Mercedes models that were particularly bad  and had them in the same big round cluster as the headlights so they just didn't stand out at all.

IMO newer cars are a bit better designed in this regard. I was behind an Audi this morning with LED indictaors that are sort of 'dynamic' and lit up in sequence in the direction of turn - I though they were pretty good. 

As above though the design of indictors is a much smaller problem than the ability or willingness of drivers to use them, even though they literally have to only lift a finger to do it.

I agree some rear indicators are ok, it's the fronts I struggle with. This adds to the feeling that drivers don't use them - many's the time I've been cursing a driver (under my breath obviously) for not indicating only to realise that they actually were, but the indicators were not easy to see. 

Beatnik69 | 7 years ago
4 likes

As the saying goes, 'If you ever feel depressed about your job just remember that out there whose job is to fit indicators to BMWs'

matthewn5 replied to Beatnik69 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Beatnik69 wrote:

As the saying goes, 'If you ever feel depressed about your job just remember that out there whose job is to fit indicators to BMWs'

Surely you mean Audis??

Mungecrundle | 7 years ago
3 likes

Indicators are useful but observing road position and the way a vehicle is moving should be more of a clue to intent.

Whatever happens in front of you shouldn't be coming as a surprise.

The Gavalier replied to Mungecrundle | 7 years ago
1 like

Mungecrundle wrote:

Indicators are useful but observing road position and the way a vehicle is moving should be more of a clue to intent. Whatever happens in front of you shouldn't be coming as a surprise.

I'm well aware of this, but indicators are there for a reason so I'd like to be able see them easily. 

ClubSmed replied to Mungecrundle | 7 years ago
1 like

Mungecrundle wrote:

Indicators are useful but observing road position and the way a vehicle is moving should be more of a clue to intent. Whatever happens in front of you shouldn't be coming as a surprise.

Totally agree, however that knowledge is developed over time with experience. As there are little or no cycling education pieces done in schools cyclists do not hit the road with this knowledge.

I completely agree that modern indicators are not fit for purpose, they are very hard to spot and/or can't be seen from all angles especially in the day.

brooksby | 7 years ago
8 likes

Totally agree with you: form over function, I think. The car manufacturers design something that looks excitingly cool and modern, and forget that the lights in particular are supposed to be serving a purpose. My favourites are the ones where the indicator bulb is actually in the middle of the other lights.

Redvee | 7 years ago
3 likes

This is assuming the driver actually uses them.

Grahamd replied to Redvee | 7 years ago
0 likes

Redvee wrote:

This is assuming the driver actually uses them.

Audi drivers?

Latest Comments