Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Anyone ever done the Marmotte?

Is it the ultimate in continental sportive challenges? I need to start thinkking about something to aim for next year. I didn't get into the London ballot so have just had nothing to target this year. I might be the Manchester 100 in September, but hilly it ain't. How early do you start thinking about next summer?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

drosco | 6 years ago
0 likes

Bedfordshire clanger sums it up perfectly.

mtbtomo | 6 years ago
0 likes

We did the marmotte route last year except it ended up about 10miles longer somehow (I think because we wanted to stop at a specific artisan bakery in saint sorlin!). It's "only" four big climbs. We rode it sensibly, stops for water after every climb cos we were using two large bottles every climb except the telegraphe due the heat. Stopped for lunch in Valloire. We were out for about 12 hours in total - that was holiday pace, not smashing it silly.

It's a fantastic route! I imagine the sportive would be amazing!

Bedfordshire Clanger | 6 years ago
4 likes

I've done it twice, once over the Galibier route and once on the Croix de Fer route when the Galibier was closed. It is a brilliant event and the scenery is just stunning. After riding it the first time I promised myself I'd go back to ride in the Alps every summer. I wholeheartedly recommended it.

BUT it is  very, very hard work. Don't underestimate the challenge. If you want to do it, start planning now. You won't have done anything like it so work out a decent plan to get yourself as fit and light as possible and get on it. The earlier you get started the better chance you have of making it happen.

Highlights for me are the top of the Glandon and the beautiful winding descent down into the Maurienne valley. Incredibly beautiful and really good fun on a bike. The top of the Galibier where it really feels like you're on top of the world. The cameraderie between riders, everyone knows that they're doing something special.

A few things to watch out for:

Make sure you are well rested and well fed the previous day, you don't want to start knackered from travelling or hungover.

If you stay in Alpe d'Huez bring a gilet for the descent to the start or you'll spend half an hour shivering from wind chill when you get to the bottom. You might want to stay in Bourg d'Oisains as this gives you the option of bailing out if you are shattered by the time you get to the foot of the Alpe d'Huez climb.

Be careful not to go too fast up the Glandon or Telegraphe, you will need to save your legs.

The Galibier is really, really long. It is not very steep at the bottom and so feels deceptively easy until you get to the top of the valley and are confronted by a series of very steep ramps. You might think you've got to the top at the end of the ramps but then you see that there are miles more of steep road to follow. Just take it steady and make sure you get to the top and don't overdo it on the gentle slopes.

The descent of the Galibier is very long and very hot. There's no need to put the hammer down, you'll need everything you've got for the final climb. Remember to drink plenty and eat something on the way down.

Getting up the Alpe d'Huez after nearly 160km in the saddle and 4000m of climbing requires not just fitness but a load of determination. The first time I did it I felt like giving up twice and had to stop, rest and give myself a good talking to before starting again. It's likely to be baking hot on the ascent of the Alpe so keep cool by pouring water over your head.

I hope that you do it and really enjoy it. If you prepare well you'll be able to throw yourself in at the deep end and succeed. If you fancy doing a tester event next year rather than go straight for the Marmotte, I'd recommend the Time Megeve Mont Blanc which is just over 130km and under 4000m of climbing. It's a lovely route without the madness of the 21 bends at the end.

pablo | 6 years ago
2 likes

Ah we nearly did the Marmotte route it's stunning round their nothing in the UK compares really.
Our plan was to do d'huez in the morning , lunch and then an easy ride in the afternoon.
What happened was we all smashed it up d'huez like we were racing for yellow. At the top Someone said we might as well do the rest of the Marmotte route (out of order though) Zero planning, zero idea of distances, zero in the tank.
Got to the top of Galibier and bailed back down my body didn't break but my mind did. We had no idea how far the top was and it just destroyed me. Was it 5k or 10k left to the top? was it 50k to the end? Stupid.
Planned to go back this year but probably will be next year now.

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
3 likes

Mmmm Marmite!

Daveyraveygravey | 6 years ago
1 like

The two brothers who run the Broleur site did it this weekend, waiting for the write up. It will be here when they publish -  http://www.broleur.com/tag/european-granfondos/

I'm thinking about doing it next year, dependent on the Mrs being happy to sit around for a day...

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Ive done more miles in wales with half the climbing,  but 23Kft climbing 

https://www.strava.com/routes/3813094?hl=en-GB

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
4 likes

I  try doing 'a' marmot once but I got forcibly ejected from the zoo

part_robot replied to StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

guyrwood wrote:

I  try doing 'a' marmot once but I got forcibly ejected from the zoo

Like this? http://i.imgur.com/8Lp9G7O.gifv

Bigtwin | 6 years ago
5 likes

I thnk I may have done at a wedding once.  But I was exceedingly drunk....

peted76 | 6 years ago
1 like

Yep, it's a big day out that's for sure. Quite unlike anything I've ever done before or since. We went as a three and spent the whole day enjoying it, stopping at every feed or drink stop, taking pics and laughing at the sights, I think I would like to go and test myself on it proper, one day now I have an clue what's it's all about, however it's just a bit special, just when you think you've seen the most amazing scenery something new comes along.. speeding down a mountain for mile after mile overtaking, thinking you're doing on the limit only to get overtaken like you're standing still by Italian after Italian all laughing and chatting as they do it.

We stayed at the top of Alpe d'huez and went up and down a couple of times, it's just pretty awesome, I'm sure there are harder longer, bigger badder gran fondo's out there but I think for me climbing both Alpe d'huez and Galibier (being recognisable from TV) was a big tick in the box. 

Chris Hayes | 6 years ago
0 likes

A Belgian mate of mine did it this past weekend:  Glandon, Telegraph, Galibier, and Alp d'Huez.   Very well organised.  Lots of riders.   

Not for the faint hearted....but with a compact and a dinner plate sized casette anything is possible these days  1 

drosco | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've done the Marmotte. Stunning event, amazing scenery, brilliant organisation. More convenient than the etape as it starts and finishes the same place. Very hard though, or at least it was for me.

This year did the lesser known L'Ariegeoise. Similar to the Marmotte, but Pyrenees. Dead easy to get into, more French, less macho I think.

Leviathan | 6 years ago
5 likes

Does it look like this?

http://i.imgur.com/8Lp9G7O.gifv

Latest Comments