Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

De-restricted e bikes - bit naughty, or an issue?

Commuting yesterday (Bristol Bath cycle path) doing a respectable 30km/h and (happened twice) suddenly a fairly basic hybrid bike overtook doing at least 35-40km/h.  Spotted the batteries so must have been de-restricted e-bikes which, according to an LBS, is pretty easy to do.  Would knock a massive amount of time off a 1hr5min commute, although with a reduction in the fitness benefit (wouldn't count on Strava  3 ).  An LBS also talked about a type of e-bike on the continent that goes above the limit 15mph but you need a special helmet and insurance; not legal in the UK (I think).

On the face of it, why not; better that than people sitting in cars, but if bike paths have de-restricted e-bikes ripping along you just know something's going to kick-off.  Good on the road and reducing the speed differential.  Perhaps it's all part of 'electric' taking over, but is a de-restricted e-bike just a slow version of an electric motorbike.  At the end of the day, they're illegal, but whose going to stop them and with the drive for more cycle infrastructure/more people cycling, could this be an issue that plays in to the hands of the anti-cycling lobby?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

25 comments

madcarew | 5 years ago
0 likes

But I suspect you'd have little problem with those 'not so fit and strong' piloting a car at 70mph? It doesnt take much fitness or strength to ride an ebike. Those that crash are largely a danger to themselves. I think there are more than enough barriers to people using healthy and low-polluting transport so I think these should be made as easily available as possible. Any potential safety costs will be far outweighed by reduced health system burden. I do think there should be a 10 mph speed limit on shared paths

HairyPete | 5 years ago
3 likes

As an e-bike rider I would like to add my two Peneth!

Most of the negative comments I have read  allude to "Homemade" electric bikes where a donor bike, often with inadequate brakes and tyres, is "Hybridised" using a hub motor and battery pack easily and cheaply available on line, can be tinkered with, and is just about as unsafe as unsafe can be. 

My bikes, like the vast majority, were bought from a bicycle shop, don’t have  throttles so can’t move above a walking pace without input from the pedals, which also give the electric assistance that stops at 25kph (15.5mph,) and have hydraulic disc brakes that are more than adequate to stop them. I also have seen some of the YouTube vids showing mad max and his mates on homemade ebikes, but most of the crazy cycle videos, especially in London, are of conventional  bikes probably propelled by mad max's not so distant analogue cousins, and as for using shared paths the inconsiderate idiots are all out there whatever they are riding, it’s not the bike, it’s the rider!

The idea that these bikes are restricted gives the wrong impression as they can go as fast as you can pedal them, and if I (70 year old) can pedal my e-road bike past this 15.5mph cut off, often up to 20mph for short distances, then a younger fitter person could make it go much faster quite legally!

Out in the real world 99% of roadies are riding at 20mph+ so pass me easily until we come to a hill which is where the e-bike is worth its money and allows an old man to think that maybe he is not so old after all, but I do have to content with derisive, sometimes abusive, comments from the "no pain no gain" brigade who seem to think that if you can’t ride a "proper" bike you shouldn’t be allowed to ride one at all. Another bonus is that I can ride out with my son without him having to stop and wait for me at the top of each rise.

With regards to fitness, the bike won’t move without effort from me and a two hour ride will give me a max HR in the mid 160's and an average approaching 140 so anyone who thinks there is no effort involved or fitness gain is clearly misinformed. 

I started cycling to keep fit when I retired but found the hills I am surrounded by took away all the pleasure, but then I became part of the ebike revolution and I now cycle 2500 miles every year and hope to continue for many years to come!

il sole | 5 years ago
0 likes

Not sure how i feel about them being de-restricted, but they must be a hoot to ride!

Just the other week, i was turing onto a fav strava segment and knew i'd have a good tailwind. it's about 2 miles long, a slight rise, then flat, then gentle 3-4% descent to a T junction on a main road. So my mate and i go for it - complete heads down, stem chewing effort, only for an old guy on an e-mountain bike to come serenly past us... we were doing around 22-25mph on the gentle rise, so i hunkered down even more and got on his wheel. (well, I tried to!). It took the entire length of the segment to catch him and pass him at 37mph - I honestly don't think I could have gone any faster...didn't get the KOM, but was 3rd fastest behind 2 pros, so i was pretty chuffed!

Anyway, when we then chatted with the guy on the e-bike he said it had 400W...and 100% assistance with no limits...imagine that on a proper road bike?? WOW!!!

kev-s | 5 years ago
0 likes

Im all for e-bikes that have to be pedalled but dont agree with the speed restriction

15.5mph is just too slow when most peoples average speed is around that, a 20mph max would be much better

You get idiots on e-bikes just like you get idiots on normal bikes, motorbikes, cars, mobility scooter users and even on foot (too busy looking at their phone)

I use 2 shared paths that are 3 and 4 miles long and i pass people on e-bikes, kids on bikes, older people on retro bikes, hybrid users and roadies, 9 times out of 10 its the roadies who ride like dicks, not bothering to slow down when passing children, not warning people as they zoom up from behind passing within an inch and shouting at people, weaving in and out and generally just being dicks

I know not all roadies are like that (im one) but the majority i see are

Some intresting facts in the link below

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.dft.gov.uk/consul...

rogermerriman | 5 years ago
0 likes

As some who commutes fairly slowly in, de restricted e-bikes, electric stateboards and the odd roadie all tend, to be going too fast for the bike path, and pass too close, even if there is space to pass wide.

e bikes do tend to have fairly terrible brakes, sometimes disconnected! This said all 3 are a mild annoyance my commute is largely off road so cars aren’t a concern for most part.

HowardR | 5 years ago
1 like

Re: "This smacks of nimbyism to me (Not in my back yard)"......For those of us with a particular type of access to our property could this be amended to: 'nimbPism'.... Not In My Back Passage....(If Ginnel & Snicket are names for side passages what are the name(s) for rear access? - no sniggering at the back)

madcarew | 5 years ago
0 likes

This smacks of nimbyism to me (Not in my back yard)

I don't think there's any need for a restriction on the ebikes. I regularly pass 50 mph on my bicycle under my power and that of gravity  and occasionally 60 mph on the flat. I'm regularly over 30 mph under my own steam. An ebike is simply someone on a bike going at similar speeds as the rest of us attain, but for larger amounts of time. The likely damage to them and others in the event of an off is pretty much the same as for a bike. I certainly don't want registration, licence plates etc on my bike just because I go faster for longer than other people.

I absolutely think that there should be a 10 mph speed limit on shared use paths. I think it is dangerous to mix 2 (or more) modes of traffic which might have a 10x average speed differential.  Pavement for < 10 mph, Road for > 10 mph. 

Applecart replied to madcarew | 5 years ago
2 likes

madcarew wrote:

I don't think there's any need for a restriction on the ebikes. I regularly pass 50 mph on my bicycle under my power and that of gravity  and occasionally 60 mph on the flat. I'm regularly over 30 mph under my own steam. An ebike is simply someone on a bike going at similar speeds as the rest of us attain, but for larger amounts of time.

An elite, world champion sprint cyclist can peak at about 76kph for 5 seconds on the flat, which is 47mph. An elite track sprinter can hit 77kph for 200 metres. But you regularly hit 50mph (80kph) and occasionally 60mph (96kph) on the flat? I am guessing you are either from the planet Krypton or have got your metric and imperial mixed up mate.

madcarew replied to Applecart | 5 years ago
1 like

Applecart wrote:

madcarew wrote:

I don't think there's any need for a restriction on the ebikes. I regularly pass 50 mph on my bicycle under my power and that of gravity  and occasionally 60 mph on the flat. I'm regularly over 30 mph under my own steam. An ebike is simply someone on a bike going at similar speeds as the rest of us attain, but for larger amounts of time.

An elite, world champion sprint cyclist can peak at about 76kph for 5 seconds on the flat, which is 47mph. An elite track sprinter can hit 77kph for 200 metres. But you regularly hit 50mph (80kph) and occasionally 60mph (96kph) on the flat? I am guessing you are either from the planet Krypton or have got your metric and imperial mixed up mate.

No. 50 mph down hill (myp ower and gravity) and I have a little hobby of slipstreaming trucks (60mph on the flat)

Applecart replied to madcarew | 5 years ago
0 likes

Oh right so on downhills and slipstreaming on a single carriageway - wow that's pretty extreme! I've never been over 65kph (40mph) even on fairly steep downhills  as it doesn't feel safe.

I reckon e-bikes could be safely derestricted to 30-35kph (~20mph) for on-road use. Beyond that level I wouldn't want people who aren't properly fit and strong in control of a bike going any faster. On the other hand, one has to account for the 1% of people who are clutzes and then build in a further 25% error margin - hence the current legislation (I am guessing). It would only take a few accidents to bugger it up for everyone else at a higher limit.

madcarew wrote:

Applecart wrote:

madcarew wrote:

No. 50 mph down hill (myp ower and gravity) and I have a little hobby of slipstreaming trucks (60mph on the flat)

LastBoyScout | 5 years ago
0 likes

Out today in the car and passed someone on a country road - no pavements - on an electric scooter.

Where I passed them, there aren't any pavements for at least a couple of miles in any direction, so doing pretty well on a single charge.

srchar | 5 years ago
2 likes

The only problem I see with derestrited eBikes is that, in my neck of the woods, they are ridden by complete bellends, with no regard for their own safety, nor that of other road users. As has been said above, they seem to be for people who want to go motorbike-fast, but don’t want to bother with all that pesky and costly training, licensing and insurance.

There’s a bloke who rides one along Bishopsgate who I’ve seen quite a few times while nipping out for lunch. He’s doing 60km/h in total silence, slap bang in the middle of a zombie-ped zone. Not pedalling, not stopping at red lights, not slowing down for hazards. I only hope that when he has his Big One, he doesn’t hurt someone else.

cdamian | 5 years ago
0 likes

I recently saw someone in a bikelane here in Barcelona doing 35km/h on one of these e-unicycles.

I am not sure how I feel about it, except that was slipsteaming him.

Personally I wouldn't ride that fast on one myself.

StuInNorway | 5 years ago
1 like

Perfectly legal in Norway, as soon as you've had it inspected and registered by the roads authority, fitted the supplied licence plate, paid your compulsory insurance, put on your moped/motorcycle helmet, and stay off the shared use, and cycle lanes. 
It's a electric moped you see, so needs registered as one.
We had one of these "illegal" e-bikes a few months ago, spotted by traffic on the road alongside which was doing 60-70km/h being passed by the bike. He hit another cyclist and they other party ended up with a broken neck. He was given a (short) jail term, huge fine and points on his driving licence. The e-bike on testing was found to be capable of over 100km/h without pedalling. Around a 4KW motor if I recall correctly.

jollygoodvelo | 5 years ago
2 likes

On the continent there are faster pedelecs ("S-Pedelecs") - as reviewed on the Road sister site a while back: http://ebiketips.road.cc/content/advice/advice/buying-and-riding-an-s-pe...

So there are various questions.  At the moment a legal pedelec must a) only provide assistance when the rider is pedalling (assisted walking modes excepted), b) only provide assistance up to 25kph, c) only provide a maximum of 250W assistance at any time.

In my view a) is the most important part.  If you're not pedalling, it's not an e-bike it's an electric motorbike and you shouldn't be on a 'human-powered' path.  I personally think that the 25kph is a little restrictive and 30 or 35 kph might still be OK, but given almost all cycle paths are shared space in this country it's not that critical.  Likewise I don't see any reason not to have a 350W or 500W 'assistance' while still keeping conditions a) and b) in place - yes, you'll get to the limit faster, you might buzz up big hills without effort, but isn't it the point that e-bikes help people choose not to use their cars and the better they do that, the better?

Fundamentally - common sense applies and enforcement should follow the harm.  You cause the accident, you are liable for the damages caused, whatever you're riding.  I was nearly wiped out a couple of weeks back on that path by a mother coming the other swinging out without warning as she looked behind her at her kids; there are incompetents everywhere on foot, on bikes and in cars.

Bmblbzzz replied to jollygoodvelo | 5 years ago
0 likes

jollygoodvelo wrote:

On the continent there are faster pedelecs ("S-Pedelecs") - as reviewed on the Road sister site a while back: http://ebiketips.road.cc/content/advice/advice/buying-and-riding-an-s-pe...

So there are various questions.  At the moment a legal pedelec must a) only provide assistance when the rider is pedalling (assisted walking modes excepted), b) only provide assistance up to 25kph, c) only provide a maximum of 250W assistance at any time.

In my view a) is the most important part.  If you're not pedalling, it's not an e-bike it's an electric motorbike and you shouldn't be on a 'human-powered' path.  I personally think that the 25kph is a little restrictive and 30 or 35 kph might still be OK, but given almost all cycle paths are shared space in this country it's not that critical.  Likewise I don't see any reason not to have a 350W or 500W 'assistance' while still keeping conditions a) and b) in place - yes, you'll get to the limit faster, you might buzz up big hills without effort, but isn't it the point that e-bikes help people choose not to use their cars and the better they do that, the better?

Fundamentally - common sense applies and enforcement should follow the harm.  You cause the accident, you are liable for the damages caused, whatever you're riding.  I was nearly wiped out a couple of weeks back on that path by a mother coming the other swinging out without warning as she looked behind her at her kids; there are incompetents everywhere on foot, on bikes and in cars.

This makes sense but the trouble is, the people who genuinely benefit from ebikes – the disabled, elderly, or plain injured, who would otherwise be unable to cycle – often need some form of power when not pedalling in order to overcome those disabilities. For instance, some people have joint problems which mean they can pedal but not continuously. I know two riders of electric recumbent trikes who both have some form of throttle switch (it's not a twist grip like a motorcycle throttle, it's some sort of pressure-sensitive switch) without which neither would be able to cycle. They know it's technically illegal and use it responsibly (neither has derestricted their machines and doubt if throttle power alone would take it far anyway). It can also be a safety factor on roads, allowing them to accelerate at normal-person cycling speed across junctions. Finally, it allows them to maneouvre an otherwise unwieldy recumbent trike (very difficult to push even for someone with no walking disabilities) through doors and so on. 

Yorkshire wallet | 5 years ago
1 like

One of those guys on youtube with a hopped up ebike is a bellend. He's got the reactions of a slug and will die fairly soon if he carries on wanging about as if he's on a motorbike. Seriously, on one vid he posted his braking reaction would be slow doing 10-15mph. Doing more than twice that it was almost accident time.

Sadly ebikes don't seem to be attracting the most skilled of bike handlers (probably because the attraction is being a lazy bastard, not actually being good at anything) though I have seen some dude who could wheelie till his battery died.

oceandweller | 5 years ago
3 likes

Couple of extra points - derestricted e-bikes are really, super dangerous. If one of them hits you at 30mph you're gonna get badly hurt. Car bodies are smooth & designed to crumple in a collision but even so your chance of surviving being hit by one aren't great. Bikes don't crumple (I know, I've crashed all of mine at one time or another) & have sharp bits sticking out. Go figure.

Also, the kinetic energy of a collision - in effect, the power that goes into you if you're hit by something - increases in proportion to the square of the speed. A bike travelling at 30mph will do 4 times the damage of a bike doing 15mph, & 16 times the damage of one doing 7.5mph.

In the event of a collision there's not even any comeback. The riders aren't insured (even if they think they are, they're breaking the law riding a derestricted bike & the insurance won't pay up) & I'm betting they wouldn't be able to stump up a few hundred thou for an accident victim who's suffered a broken neck as a result of their stupidity.

Sadly, the police won't do anything about them until someone's been killed or very seriously injured. Which is likely to happen soon IMO.

EddyBerckx | 5 years ago
3 likes

Most of the e-bikes I seem to see are ridden by people who'd rather ride motorbikes but dont want the hassle of a test or being held to account. All the worst examples of bad cycling - red light jumping, not stopping at ped crossing, weaving about the lane, not looking and so on...at a much higher speed (do any of them stay restricted?)

I'd rather they be in cars rather than on the cycle path with me. Sorry, but thats the truth. In reality we're talking about london here - there've probably come from public transport rather than a car so I'd rather they go back to that.

And with the exception of one guy I saw a few years back it's not elderly people who are buying them...it's men in the mid 20's to 30's.

EDIT: I'm generalising...which is a bad thing. Not all are ridden like that...but honestly, it's rare to see one ridden at 15mph or below. If they're willing to break the law by derestricting them...then they are also probably willing to break the highway code too.

Make them hard to derestrict and they'll have my full support.

Stef Marazzi | 5 years ago
1 like

Think I've seen the guy you mean, I think he's an Airbus Engineer. Yes I'm pretty sure his bike can do 35mph+. He sometimes goes along with a mate who has a similar one. They dont even have to pedal.

I was on my road bike a year or so ago, head down, doing 26mph on the ring road stretch going up to Sainsburys (empty at 6:30am) and he absolutely blew me into the weeds, and vanished into the distance. It is crazy fast.

Shades replied to Stef Marazzi | 5 years ago
0 likes

cyclesteffer wrote:

Think I've seen the guy you mean, I think he's an Airbus Engineer. Yes I'm pretty sure his bike can do 35mph+. He sometimes goes along with a mate who has a similar one. They dont even have to pedal.

I was on my road bike a year or so ago, head down, doing 26mph on the ring road stretch going up to Sainsburys (empty at 6:30am) and he absolutely blew me into the weeds, and vanished into the distance. It is crazy fast.

Come to think of it, in the brief view I had of one, it did seem like he wasn't pedalling; looked like the motor was in the rear hub.  It was on a slight uphill bit and was going like stink.

As the Bath-Bristol run is virtually all bike path, speed is the game changer; lighter bike, get fitter etc.  A de-restricted e bike blows even the hardiest roadies to bits, so could well become more common.

Mind you, who polices this; I'd rather the police did more important things than chasing e-bikes on a bike path.  Sounds like a modern version of Whacky Races; perhaps I'll name them Dick Dastardly and Mutley!

kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

The continental ones are called e-pedelecs - you can make them legal in the UK but you need a motorcycle license, mot, insurance, numberplates, etc.

Dead simple to de-restrict them, and also remove the 3mph limit when you're not pedalling.

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
4 likes

I'm less bothered about their legality and more concerned with how many collisions they are responsible for. After all, plenty of cars are legal and yet can cause devastating injuries/death, so I'd go with a harm reduction philosophy.

My concerns with them on shared use paths is that (in my mind) e-bike riders are likely to be less experienced than a typical fast cyclist and may be going quicker than they can react/control and thus cause incidents. However, collisions are going to be bad for the e-bike rider and they are unlikely to continue taking risks when they've left a lot of skin on the tarmac, so I reckon the riders will end up being more careful.

In short, I'd much rather see people on e-bikes than in cars, so I'm quite happy to turn a blind eye to whether they are going too fast (sounds like a challenge to keep up with them - maybe hang off their rear wheel and double up on the injury risks).

Anti-cycling lobby? They don't seem to use much logic, so I couldn't care less about what new thing they're bleating about.

PRSboy | 5 years ago
8 likes

I don't personally care, as long as they are on the road.

In my simple view, as you say, a derestricted e bike is an electric motorbike, and has no place on a cycle path.

RMurphy195 replied to PRSboy | 5 years ago
1 like

PRSboy wrote:

I don't personally care, as long as they are on the road.

In my simple view, as you say, a derestricted e bike is an electric motorbike, and has no place on a cycle path.

I would add -as such, they should be sunject to motor vegicle taxation, driver licensing etc. and particulalrly insurance. And they have no place on cycle paths, pavements etc.

I even saw readily-convertble ones, including scrambles versions, on a stand at the bike show ("All you need to do is enter a code to improve the performance" was the advertising slogan) - they definitely had no place there, something about which  I made my opinions clear to anyone who would listen at the time. But then,I'm just an old fogey ...

Latest Comments