Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Thru axle winding itself loose

I recently took delivery of a new Trek Domane SL5, and the kit wheels on it were terrible. I've since bought some relatively cheap Fulcrum Racing 4 DB wheels, and they have transformed the bike! However ... after a few rides on our relatively crappy roads around Manchester, I've found that the front thrux axle starts to unwind and loosen. I only really notice once I've got off the bike and hear the wheel rattling - pretty alarming really!

When tightened, there is no movement in the wheel, and it all feels nice and snug, so I don't _think_ there is a fitment issue. The rear wheel doesn't get loose - just the front.

Is there any normal conditions where this happens, or does this sound like a defective axle / lever mechanism? Does this warrant a trip back to the Trek shop?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Fish_n_Chips | 5 years ago
0 likes

Check for play in the bearings.  

Thru-axels shouldn’t need too much force to nip it up.

Contact the shop you bought it from for help/exchange.

barongreenback | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have a Domane with two different wheelsets - hasn't happened in 2 years and several thousand miles.  I don't have to tighten it that tightly.  Is there the chance that you've accidentally crossed threaded at some point and borked the threads?

The Gavalier | 5 years ago
0 likes

I had this due to the bearings being shot on my Fulcrum Racing Sport DB wheels after only a matter of months. 

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

That shouldn't happen if the thru-axle is tightened up properly as the lever side should be gripping the fork very strongly.

Could it be possible that the wheel isn't the correct width for the fork? Maybe test it with the original front wheel and see if that works itself loose in the same manner.

Some thru-axles have a torque adjustment which will depend on the make of TA. I think Shimano can be adjusted from the opposite end to the lever with a hex key.

ktache | 5 years ago
0 likes

Are the bearings running smooth?

Latest Comments