Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Need help on thru axle trainer adapter

Hi, 

I just purchased tacx satori smart wheel trainer for my winter stay-in-shape trainings  1

While waiting for delivery i realized that the trainer comes with quick-release and i have the Bianchi Aria 105 Disc, more precisely this one: https://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road/extreme-racing/aria-disc-105/ which has thru axle on the rear with Bianchi noting it 12x142mm.

I bought the Tacx T1707 E-Thru trainer axle M12x1, with metric fine thread (noted to be suitable for hubs with axle skewer attachment 142×12 mm: various DT Swiss and Shimano types).

When I compare both needles they look identical with the Tacx being longer - which it should be sticking out so you can put the other end and put it on the trainer, BUT this is where the fun starts. I can put the Tacx from the one side but when it comes to the other side I can do a turn or two, and then use spanner to continue. However i need to use ALL my force and it still does not move and stops at a point which is too early ( still needs 2-5cm in). This is where i stopped in order to prevent possible damage to the bike. Is there anyone with the similar issue or tip? The tacx website LITERALLY says nothing about the axles and so on, and I am really pissed doing this for 2-3 hours with failiure.

heres a link to a picture of the original and the adapter sizes

https://imgur.com/a/ndmFUBk

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Can66230 | 1 year ago
0 likes

I bought the Tacx T1707 E-Thru trainer axle M12x1, with metric fine thread (noted to be suitable for hubs with axle skewer attachment 142×12 mm: various DT Swiss and Shimano types). When I started screwing it into my dropout I met slight resistance. Reluctant to force it I am wondering if anyone has had a similar issue. My dropout thread is also 1.0mm, but I'm wondering if the "metric fine thread" causes a slight difference in thread pitch? 

SculturaD | 4 years ago
0 likes
Mybike | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yes the threads are different   if you cross theaded the drop out, maybe you can fix it by screwing the original axle from the other side of the drop out.

ed-m | 4 years ago
1 like

Looking at the photos you've bought the wrong adapter - the thread pitches don't match. Looks like your Bianchi axle is 12 x 1.5mm or 1.75mm not 12 x 1mm. You've buggered the tacx axle already trying to force it in, hopefully you haven't also buggered your dropout! Never force a thread, ever.

viktorapo replied to ed-m | 4 years ago
1 like

ed-m wrote:

Looking at the photos you've bought the wrong adapter - the thread pitches don't match. Looks like your Bianchi axle is 12 x 1.5mm or 1.75mm not 12 x 1mm. You've buggered the tacx axle already trying to force it in, hopefully you haven't also buggered your dropout! Never force a thread, ever.

yeah, the tacx axle is already damaged however my original went in just fine, therefore i think the dropout (i guess you refer to the rim) is fine. never ever will force a thread in my life again, it was just too similar to be different to me, never knew that different threading options exist  2 

and yes, i bought a new 1.5mm threaded one which my bianchi has

Latest Comments