Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ultrasonic cleaner recommendation

Any recommendations for a GOOD ultrasonic cleaner?  For 3 years I was blessed with the use of a 6-liter unit that was discarded and auctioned off by a lab, I got it for a song.  Used it to clean chains, cassettes and the likes.  Terrific results, everything came out looking like new and spotless.  Then the heating element died and in doing so it fried 2 of the transducers.  Can't be repaired and just yesterday I found out that the same model new costs over 1500 Euro (!).

On amazon I see plenty of Chinese models costing about 100 Euro but surely there must be a performance difference....  Am willing to spend about 250 Euro/200 GBP on it.  Should be 6 liter, stainless steel chamber, basket and have heating capacity for the detergent.  

Any recommendations?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

31 comments

jaysa | 4 years ago
1 like

For the last few years, I've used a 3.2L ultrasonic cleaner marked Vevor PS-20A, whch looks like this - not sure which ebay UK seller though. It's all stainless. 3.2L is big enough for a chain or cassette.

If anyone else is thinking of ultrasonics, we use Screwfix no-nonsense heavy duty degreaser which is water-based so less polluting than white spirit or petroleum-based liquids. 50/50 with water at 50C.

Bit of a faff getting everything set up, so I clean all our bikes at the same time. Start with the cleanest chain in the basket and a minute or two on each side.

Between chains, trawl the chamber with these magnets on a piece of string to pull any ferrous bits out of the solution. That gives an indication of chain wear and preserves the solution longer.

Finish off in the sink with an old toothbrush, hot water and washing up liquid if chains are very encrusted.

Finally dry  the chains in a low oven on a baking tray.

Lovely sparkly chains smiley ...

Pages

Latest Comments