Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chain too small or cog too big?

Hi all, long time reader first time posting.

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a Genesis Flyer that I bought in Dec 2018. It came with a flipflop rear hub, set up for single speed & with a spare cog to go on the other side for riding fixed. I finally decided to give fixed a try, put the cog on, put the wheel back on the bike only to discover the teeth on that cog are too big for the chain! The chain was new in November 2019, but my lbs did it for me & I honestly don't know what brand of chain they used, but surely if it fits the one side of my wheel it should fit the other?
So before I go & moan/ask in the bike shop I was wondering what you all think. Have genesis sold me a cog that's not right? Or is it the chain the lbs put on?

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Prosper0 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Did your flyer really come with a fixed cog?

mine didn't.  

bechdan | 4 years ago
0 likes

it will say on the chain what it is if you look closely, that should help as a starting point, if youre not sure post a clear close up on here
The Genesis website say it comes with a KMC X1 chain, which is a standard track cog 3/32" width, a single speed sprocket is a different width which are normally 1/8". Doesnt make much sense that youd have to change chain when you want to flip the wheel though, if you had a 1/8" chain then it would work for both fine.

So if the bike shop replaced like for like i.e 3/32" then theyre not at fault, just seems odd that it comes with a chain too narrow in the first place. Ive not had a flip flop hub but know the basics, maybe someone else can chime in.

LukasT replied to bechdan | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hey,

I went through something similar when I got my Flyer the other year. Basically Genesis supply a 3/32 chain and freewheel, but a 1/8 fixed cog. From what I understand, it's better to have a 1/8 chain for the fixed gear. I'd also recommend getting a narrow-wide chainring (I got mine from RaceFace).

ktache replied to LukasT | 4 years ago
0 likes

I don't think you need a narrow wide chainring, I understand they help keep the chain on a 1x with rear derailier, no front shifter to get the chain back on.  With a single speed there should not be too much slack in the system to allow the chain to come off.

My middleburn Rohloff specific chainset didn't come with their thick thin chainring.  I have never thrown a chain,but then it's been slightly less than a year, and I have internal hub gears and a ratchet.

I run an X1, good chain, but I think that the 1/8 might be a bit stronger, both cog and chain, as the braking force sometimes needs to be transferred as well a drive too.

Just my ponderings, I could be completely wrong.

Mr Blue replied to bechdan | 4 years ago
0 likes

So I've looked at the chain & it says PC830, which Google tells me is a SRAM 7spd chain. I think I'll have to go have a word at the bike shop.

Thanks for the help.

Latest Comments