Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Update. S-Works 'Nighthawk' now finito,,,,,, No more fettling.

Hi All,
Finito..... Thankfully,,has been fun though.

This is my S-Works 'nighthawk'  26 Tarmac SL, bit dirty as she is piling in the miles of late. Just treated her to new GP4000s, 7900 mechs (kept the brakes Ultegra of course) a chain, new cables and some new Fizik bar tape.

Oh' she is a sweetie and this is the last fettling she will get this year - honestly.

Regards

Trikeman.  3

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ha, ha,
Thankfully it's not me but it is the result of an 'over the front' moment - not directly attributed to the brakes,,,,, we have been told, but of course we don't believe that - we just accept it.
He's OK now though.

Regards

Trikeman.  3

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think that's fright makeup ^^

I've got 7800 brakes and yeah, they feel a bit weak. Putitng Swiss Stop pads on them has improved matters, but I must say the Centaur brakes on the other bike feel better.

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes, tell all.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps a caption competition would be adequate in providing all means of explanation

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Holy mother. We need more of a back story with that.

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

The face of an ex 7900 owner after trying out Ultegra with 7900 blocks.

russyparkin replied to trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes
trikeman wrote:

woah! explain further please!

russ

notfastenough replied to trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes
trikeman wrote:

Woah sh*t!

1. Is that you?

2. Caption serious?!

0 likes

Cool. Thanks for taking time out to explain.
I guess running full ultegra myself made me curious. I must say mine stop fantastically.

I am not sure you'd want more from a road bike brake tbh.

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi SD
have 7900 brakes (groupo) on one of the Colnago's and also on a bike I sold recently and I don't rate them as good, strong, controllable or as powerful as Ultegra. Although the 7900 brakes are a few grams lighter and actually look better (and cost bucketfulls) they just don't cut it with me, and not just me either. For some reason they just don't seem 'man enough' and flex at pivots within a short period, much shorter than Ultegra - Ultegra seem more workman-like (brutal) and I just prefer them, especially for longevity and holding toe in.
If I have the choice between mega expensive (one way to try to substantiate thier performance) 7900's and Ultegra's there is only one I would dive for, though I do use the 7900 brake blocks in all.
I undesrstand they are on most of TDF bikes, but daily maintenance and they don't get chance to wear before they are changed/binned. Some may say all that's rubbish - they cost more! - but that's just my experience and personal choice.
Hope it helps.

Regards

Trikeman.  3

0 likes

Nice one Mr. T.

Can I ask, why the comment on the brakes? As in they are good enough? Or that you prefer them?

No problem, just interested.

Latest Comments