Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Turbo time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am loading my I-pod for the Turbo Training season..

...but what should I have.

So far..

My Chemical Romance
Jonny Eats World
Angels & Airwaves
5 Live "Fighting Talk" Podcast

... do I need some dance music?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

I've always found New Forms by Roni Size/Reprazent to be good for some steady pace work, you get about 20mins of constant BPM from the first three tracks...

Also, have you ever used Mixmeister? it's PC only, i think, but it'll take your music library and tell you what the BPM is for every track. Hey, you can even export a spreadsheet of 'em. So you can cue up a wicked set of intervals...

Tony Farrelly replied to dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

I'd rather go out in the rain. Actually even without the perverse spreadsheet action riding in the rain, cold, wind etc.,  holds more attraction than the turbo… 

dave atkinson replied to Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

...that fluid 2 has been in the same place under your desk ever since i've known you then?

Tony Farrelly replied to dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

Yup!

James Warrener replied to Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

have you got a real wheel sensor computer with cadence?

That staves the tedium off for a little longer

I have invested in some lights for the winter though so might do some outdoor miles to compliment the turbo.

Tony Farrelly replied to James Warrener | 15 years ago
0 likes

Fluid 2. Old, but in mint condition  1

I would be tempted by a Tacx i-Magic (the idea of riding up the Ventoux in your front room is pretty cool, but I wouldn't want to risk the outlay for something that I 'might' use regularly. Plus it would have to be really quiet.

the-daily-ripper replied to Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

is what you need - bosh a bit of that and some guns n roses on, and you'll keep going. Works for me anyway.

andyfla replied to Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

I bought the Tacx Fortius a couple of years ago, only use it once/twice a week, but I can do a couple of hours on it. I love the mountains in the real life videos, and have Milan to St Remo for when I want something a bit flatter.

I hate standard trainers, but being able to link it up to the PC is great.

Again, thorough recommend, it is an obscene amount of money for a cycle trainer, but less that the years gym membership which I gave up.

DaSy replied to andyfla | 15 years ago
0 likes

I too have a Fortius, and love it. I have it permanently rigged up to a dedicated PC and 32" TFT which gives great realism in the RLV and VR applications.

I've traded a few RLV's with others and have a good selection,I particularly like the Alpine Classic and Ventoux vid's, and the Tour of Majorca is great for an easier mixed ride.

Last week I rode the full Ventoux vid, 4 hours of climbing and descending, no way I could tolerate that length of time on a standad turbo.

dave atkinson replied to DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

DaSy wrote:

Last week I rode the full Ventoux vid, 4 hours of climbing and descending, no way I could tolerate that length of time on a standad turbo.

<joke>That doesn't count as a metric century, you know.</joke>

I've tested the fortius (twice) and it's a pretty astonishing piece of kit, i agree. not sure i could do 4 hours on it though...

DaSy replied to dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

not sure i could do 4 hours on it though...

My wife was pretty puzzled by it too, it was only after 2.5 hrs that I thought that I should maybe eat something, I'd only had a bowl of soup all day up 'til that evening! I staggered upstairs sweating and moaning, raided the cupboards and disappeared back down for another 1.5 hours!

Total distance was only about 60km, 2 climbs and one descent of Ventoux was enough for any mid week turbo session!

the-daily-ripper replied to DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

do you just lean forward and freewheel for a bit? And do you have to make the whooshy wind sounds yourself?

The first bit is a genuine question - I can't quite see how it works...

thebikeboy replied to the-daily-ripper | 15 years ago
0 likes

They're a right bugger going in to corners

DaSy replied to the-daily-ripper | 15 years ago
0 likes

The Fortius has a motor unit that provides the resistance braking, but this also allows it to drive the back wheel. It can therefore actually simulate downhill, although for safety reasons it only does it for about 20 seconds before it pauses, so as not to leave it spinning the back wheel at 30mph and decapitating the cat if you passed out or something.

In reality, it is a trainer, so freewheeling for the descent is a tad pointless, so you do as you would in the real world and pedal as fast as you can to go down hill. The Fortius only really simulates around 20-25mph on a steep downhill without pedalling, so you can easily still push about 200watts on the descent. In that respect it's harder than the real thing, as you can't rest on the downhills too much.

ourmaninthenorth replied to DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

Having just, er, made the error or paying for my entry to the Étape, I feel one of these beauties may be just the ticket. Best place to get one?

James Warrener replied to ourmaninthenorth | 15 years ago
0 likes

probikekit.com was where I got mine from.

I took the plunge and went out on the mountain bike with my lights on Weds night. It was much better than the turbo.

Latest Comments