Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

First road bike

Hi all. As a fairly recent convert to cycling, I am now in the happy position of being able to buy my first road bike. My needs are fairly modest and I'm looking at a new entry level model with a budget of £600-£700.
I have settled on either a Giant Defy 3 or 4. Am I better off getting a 2013 Defy 4, a 2012(or older but still new) Defy 4 or a 2012 (or older but still new) Giant Defy 3?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

shm98 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi all. Am now the proud owner of a 2013 Defy #2 and am waiting for the snow to go before I get out on it. I have most of the equipment including a floor pump. I bought a Zefal HPX as a frame pump but it doesn't fit my frame. Can I attach a mini pump to the frame using the holes forone of the bottle cages and can someone suggest a decent and reasonably cheap model? Thanks

shm98 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi all. Just thought I'd let you know the outcome. I settled on a 2012 Giant Defy 2 as it just came into my budget but when I phoned up they didn't have my size anymore. It worked out OK in the end as they sold me a 2013 model for the same price as the 2012 one!  1
Thanks for al the advice :

Simon E replied to shm98 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Excellent! Hope you enjoy riding it.

big shug | 11 years ago
0 likes

If you get the bug (heaven help you) then think of your first purchase as likely to become your future training/winter/commuter bike. Something like a Ribble audax, tiagra specc'd, would last ages and you won't feel precious about taking it out in the rain. Sure enough if you want to get into club events or sportives you may want to upgrade to something finer.
Completely agree with the advice on buying a 2012 model and look into cycle to work scheme. Budget for a decent set of shorts; helmet, pedals and shoes as well!

shm98 replied to big shug | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice.Very possible that I have the bug already and that this the thin end if the wedge! I will definitely be looking at 2012 models. I have the decent shorts and the helmet but still need to get the shoes and pedals.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

There is very little difference between them, all share the same frame, fork and wheels.

Defy 4 is 8 speed while the Defy 3 is 9 speed. I don't believe that "more gears is better", and the 8 speed setup works perfectly well. In the end it's more important that you like it, so choose the one you like the look of. Seriously.

Bedfordshire Clanger wrote:

If you really catch the road cycling bug then you'll be wanting to upgrade an entry level bike within a year. You won't need to do that with the Canyon.

People upgrade their components because they like the idea, not because they need to. Having 18 or 20 gears doesn't make you faster than with 16 - they cover the same range - you just buy more expensive chains. Clothing that fits and decent padded shorts are more important IMO.

Bedfordshire Clanger replied to Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

People upgrade their components because they like the idea, not because they need to. Having 18 or 20 gears doesn't make you faster than with 16 - they cover the same range - you just buy more expensive chains. Clothing that fits and decent padded shorts are more important IMO.

I take your point about the range of gears and the importance of having good clothing but I would also look at the quality of the controls and shifting. In my opinion the 105 shifters on the Canyon are easier to use and perform better than the lower end Shimano models. They may last a bit longer too. Add that to the quality of wheels, tyres and bottom bracket and the Canyon is a much better value proposition in my opinion.

Simon E replied to Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

the Canyon is a much better value proposition in my opinion.

Maybe, but perhaps he doesn't want a Canyon.

shm98 replied to Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. I do honestly think at the moment that a decent pair of shorts is probably more important to me than 16, 18 or 20 gears although this may change in the future.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

Can you get more for your money by getting your bike on the Cycle to Work scheme? Would you be able to stretch to £879 for a Canyon Roadlite? It's a class leading bike that would cost well over £1200 from other manufacturers. If you really catch the road cycling bug then you'll be wanting to upgrade an entry level bike within a year. You won't need to do that with the Canyon.

shm98 replied to Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the post. Ufortunately my employer pulled out of the cycle to work scheme a couple of years ago.
Thanks for the advice about the canyon but I think I'm going to stick with a Giant Defy. I've been researching for quite a while ( while I've been saving up) and I've realised how easy it is to find something for just a little bit more and the next thing you know you're looking at 1.5 - 2k bikes!
I've also had a chance to try a couple of the Defy range. I will keep your suggestion in mind if my budget does increase any.

londonplayer replied to Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

Can you get more for your money by getting your bike on the Cycle to Work scheme? Would you be able to stretch to £879 for a Canyon Roadlite? It's a class leading bike that would cost well over £1200 from other manufacturers. If you really catch the road cycling bug then you'll be wanting to upgrade an entry level bike within a year. You won't need to do that with the Canyon.

+1

Stratman | 11 years ago
0 likes

As far as I know, same frame, different bits. I bought a 2012 model (advanced 2) last autumn as it was cheaper, and I got nicer kit. Did the same with my anthem x the year before too so I'd go for the older model.

shm98 replied to Stratman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks for the advice

shm98 replied to Stratman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks, it's all a bit confusing when you're starting out.

Latest Comments