Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

BBC Radio 4 - Net Zero, road transport

Did anyone else hear this? Not a bad overall look at some of the issues, although only covered private transport not goods etc.
Plenty about active travel and public transport, and finished with the idea that as well as making those easier you have to make driving harder. At last!
Also mentioned the stat that people inside cars in queued traffic are sucking up more pollution than pedestrians and cyclists outside. I've known this for over 20 years and can't understand why it's not pushed more to persuade people out of their vehicles.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001c6wp

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
2 likes

I can't recall seeing any mainstream press covering the issue of pollution inside vehicles, but there's been plenty of messaging about cyclists needing to wear hi-viz and helmets. It's almost as if there's an agenda being followed. When you consider that the number of drivers/passengers is far greater than the number of cyclists, it would seem to me to be a public health issue that needs public information films and the like.

jaymack | 1 year ago
3 likes

Why's the fact that those inside a 'car inhale 140% more pollution than pedestrians not persuaded people out of thier tin can? Simples, the tin can's just too convenient, too asperational and too embedded in our way of life. Around my little part of East Sussex the countryside's been ripped up for housing with a vanishing minority placed within easy walking distance of shops, railway stations or bus stops (and when they are the bus services are cut and cut and cut again). In many cases there's not even a pavement once you come out of the estate. The only option seems to be to drive, 'living' locally as one of contributors said in the linked Radio 4 program is not a criteria for securing planning permission. So, the battle is on many fronts from increasing the density of our urban areas to encouraging active travel and designing out easy access for the motorcar.

Latest Comments