Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best rim brake wheelset

I'm looking for a good looking Black carbon rim brake wheelset for my steel bike for riding in the alps. I'm in particular looking at the Parcours grimpeur and the hunt 36 carbon wide aero. The parcours is a bit lighter and a bit more expensive. Anybody tried both wheelset or any other thoughts?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

matthewn5 | 1 month ago
0 likes

And another recommendation for DCR - or indeed, for a Danish wheelbuilder. You'll get something that's probably cheaper and lighter than any commercial product and it will be rebuildable in future if you damage or wear out a component. You can pick exactly the rims and hubs you want and know that there's a person to turn to in the event of problems.

theslowcyclistxx replied to matthewn5 | 1 month ago
0 likes

I am not even sure if there are any danish wheelbuilders left. I think I talked with the last one a couple of years ago, and he was only part time.

Matthew Acton-Varian | 2 months ago
1 like

I've heard that a lot of mechanics are not fans of Hunt wheels due to poor manufacturing quality. There are good Chinese brand options out there but it is a minefield if you don't want to do the market research.

The Parcours or even the Scribes in 38mm as mentioned are a good bet. Their logos aren't in your face either.

theslowcyclistxx replied to Matthew Acton-Varian | 1 month ago
0 likes

I actually ended up buying a hunt Wheelset. I have heard that they have bettered their quality the last couple of years, but now time will tell if that's correct!

andystow replied to Matthew Acton-Varian | 1 month ago
1 like

Matthew Acton-Varian wrote:

I've heard that a lot of mechanics are not fans of Hunt wheels due to poor manufacturing quality. There are good Chinese brand options out there but it is a minefield if you don't want to do the market research.

The Parcours or even the Scribes in 38mm as mentioned are a good bet. Their logos aren't in your face either.

I bought the Hunt Adventure Disc wheelset for a build in early 2020. I'm at just shy of 15000 miles, over 24000 km, with lots of chunky gravel rides, and haven't even had to true them.

HLaB | 2 months ago
0 likes

I picked up some SCRIBE wheels last summer which seemed good value for money. I am happy with them anyway.

Mr Grumpy | 2 months ago
1 like

Have had a set of Parcours Grimpeur wheels for a few years now and have found them light, robust and fairly painless to fit tubless tyres on. Being relatively shallow, they are not affected too much by crosswinds either. I think they are definitely worth consideration.

jaymack | 2 months ago
1 like

Strada build terrific wheels, I recommend them highly -https://www.stradawheels.co.uk/

Richbeck | 2 months ago
3 likes

Try hand-built wheels instead - David at DCR Wheels will spec you something special! https://dcrwheels.co.uk/

jaysa replied to Richbeck | 2 months ago
2 likes

Second that - Dave built me some alloy rim brake climbing wheels for the Alps some years ago - they've seen a lot of miles and still run very true with no play in the hub bearings  ...

theslowcyclistxx replied to Richbeck | 2 months ago
0 likes

Thanks for your reply. However, I am located in Denmark and I am also looking for something with some profile on them. They are also going to be used for racing.

OnYerBike replied to theslowcyclistxx | 2 months ago
0 likes

theslowcyclistxx wrote:

Thanks for your reply. However, I am located in Denmark 

DCR's website says they can ship to Europe, or else I'm sure there are wheel builders in Denmark.

theslowcyclistxx wrote:

and I am also looking for something with some profile on them. They are also going to be used for racing.

I'm not quite sure what you mean - the whole point of a custom wheel builder is that they will build something that meets your need, whether that be racing or touring or anything else. 

Richbeck replied to theslowcyclistxx | 2 months ago
1 like

DCR will ship to you and work with Venn and Enve for carbon rims - so plenty of profile there - pick your hubs! I would go Tune but many others to choose from!

Latest Comments