Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cannondale Supersix Evo HI Mod headset

Hi. I'm aware that there have been many discussions on how good / bad the Evo headsets are, but bearing in mind the success of this frame over many years am inclined to believe I just might be unlucky. Anyway, I'm not getting an answer from Cannondale at the moment so wondered if any of you could shed some light on the question I sent them below particularly if you can see the differences between the headsets.

"In 2016 I had my 2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo HI Mod frame built up with top spec components only to suffer various headset problems. Recently, local shop replaced headset with K35028 headset. I’ve now got to the point I won’t use it due to very strange vibrations descending on rough surfaces but not really 'full wobble'. During this time this has happened with 3 different wheelsets. I notice from your Cannondale Spares Headset Finder that this might not be the right headset and it should have been replaced with K35068. So, could you tell me whether this might be the problem? What are the differences between the 2 headsets? I’m more than happy to buy a new one from you but just want some confidence it’ll fix the problem as my dream bike has turned into a nightmare."

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Boombang | 4 years ago
0 likes

If you hold on front brake and put a hand on top and bottom of headtube can you feel any movement?

You may well need a microshim to two underneath the first spacer to take the play out of the bearings and compress the reducer inside the top bearing - yoou do have a reducer in there don't you?

Alternatively the bung could be sliding, try coating the contact points in carbon grit before reftting, (make sure it is in the right position) and lift the front wheel when tightening top cap.

MikeS-345 replied to Boombang | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice. I'm wondering about the compatability of the headset as there is absolutely no play holding on front brake. I'm assuming the shop fitted it correctly.

Latest Comments