Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod (2016) - What to upgrade?

I would like your recommendations for upgrading my Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod 2016 model as in the below link:

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cannondale/Synapse-Hi-Mod-Disc-Black-In...

I am elegible for my company's Bike to work scheme so can get a decent discount on components and considering what to to upgrade.

The disc brakes got a bit of hydrolic fluid on them that leaked and are slightly corroded so was considering upgrading these and the shifters to Dura Ace 9170.

Would you bother with this? Anything else i should upgrade first?

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

25 comments

Gizzard | 4 years ago
1 like

The frame...

Spangly Shiny replied to Gizzard | 4 years ago
0 likes

Beat me to it.

RMcM replied to Spangly Shiny | 4 years ago
0 likes

Curious why you suggest the frame? It is basically still the same carbon they're using today no? Are you just suggesting something a bit more aero? 

Spangly Shiny replied to RMcM | 3 years ago
0 likes

Watch Hambini.

check12 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Buy a shimano tl-cn42 chain wear checker

and probably shortly after a new chain! I like Kmc ones, your mileage may vary! (Quick link open and close pliars are good and a chain holder or use a metal coat hanger)

buy some vittoria latex tubes and conti 5000 (or 5000 tubeless and don't buy the latex tubes if your wheels are tubeless, I think they are but check) 

buy a power meter if you're in to that sort of thing, don't if you aren't.

buy some rock and roll gold chain lube

RMcM replied to check12 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hah - Thank you! 

Chris Hayes | 4 years ago
0 likes

....curious as to why you guys haven't taken a hacksaw to those forks protruding through the headtube? That'd be my first upgrade.

fukawitribe replied to Chris Hayes | 4 years ago
0 likes

Chris Hayes wrote:

....curious as to why you guys haven't taken a hacksaw to those forks protruding through the headtube? That'd be my first upgrade.

?

phil1505 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hi. I have a 2014 Synapse hi mod and its a really fun bike and I really enjoy riding it. I run Enve AR 4.5 wheels but they are a pretty expensive upgrade and they run tubeless. The wheels that came with your bike are pretty high quality. Yours was a pretty hi spec model when you brought it, so it shouldn't need much upgrading. Good quality tubeless tyres might be one way to go but even good quality clinchers. I would repair brakes and any other issues and ensure its serviced.
Hope thats been helpful.

bobbinogs | 4 years ago
0 likes

As above, decent tyres first and replacement chainring (like for like, no real benefits from anything else). The bike needs little besides so don't waste your money. If you have a desperate need/desire to burn money then spend a grand on a gravel bike that doubles up as a winter trainer, complete with decent mudguards and approp tyres fitted.
Ref the top stack slicing...have another look at the setup before you do. It looks to me like the classic mistake of trying to go low but finding it uncomfortable. The bars have been rotated up to compensate for an over dropped stack. Try moving one of the 10 mm spacers from above the stem to below it, and rotate the bars so that the shifters are flat. This will also help your reach to the drops.

RMcM replied to bobbinogs | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advise - i will look into the headset question!

Dangerous Dan | 4 years ago
0 likes

Do the brakes squeal or pulse?  Are the pads badly worn? Do you find yourself wanting more stopping power? Is it still leaking fluid? Do the brakes.

Does the bottom bracket creak?  If yes, I would replace it after determining the root cause of the creaking.

Are the wheels true?  Are the wheel bearings smooth?  Are the derailleur pulleys worn?  All those nasty little maintenance items we all like to forget about...

Otherwise, as has been said, nice bike: ride, enjoy, repeat.

Joe Totale | 4 years ago
2 likes

Ditching the Marathons for something like GP5000's would make it feel like a new, exciting bike. 

Also replace the outer chainring and slice that steerer, everything else is fine. 

Rich_cb replied to Joe Totale | 4 years ago
1 like

Did not notice those first time I looked.

Don't worry about spending hundreds of pounds saving 100g on your shifters when you're lugging around just shy of 2kg worth of tyres!

RMcM replied to Rich_cb | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ha you're quite right i should have mentioned i just put them on for a gravel ride! 

RMcM replied to Joe Totale | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks! Would you replace with same model (i.e. because it's worn) or because there's an upgrade you would recommend. 

Joe Totale replied to RMcM | 4 years ago
0 likes

As a Cannondale owner myself I'm a big fan of the Spiderings, they're as light as Dura Ace and look so damn cool.
I'd replace like for like instead of buying a whole new crank.

Then you also don't have to contend with issues like the BB30a bottom bracket.

ibr17xvii | 4 years ago
0 likes

If it was my money I wouldn't bother with the calipers personally.

Personal preference obviously but I'd go for Di2 or better wheels but TBH it's a nice bike so I'd be quite happy as it is.

RMcM replied to ibr17xvii | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks - the set up is di2 already but do you mean upgraded shifters? 

ibr17xvii replied to RMcM | 4 years ago
0 likes

RMcM wrote:

Thanks - the set up is di2 already but do you mean upgraded shifters? 

Ah so it is, didn't look that closely!

In that case unless something "needs" replacing like the chainring or bearings etc I would save your money. It's a nice bike.

Butty replied to RMcM | 3 years ago
0 likes

If money was really burning a hole in your pockets then perhaps upgrade the Di2 to the newer bluetooth version. Needs a BT battery and line connector. Change the shifters to newer Dura Ace version with shift buttons on top?

The chainiring does need changing. Your options are to swap the existing all in one 8 arm double chain ring (£100), 10 arm version (£180) or downgrade to separate rings (£100).

The fork riser could do with cutting once you are sure that you've got a comfortable postion as its no going back once the cut is made.

The Black Inc model is still a fantastic  bike, combining low weight but smooth ride. I've got a std Synapse Di2 and can't fault it or really justify any serious upgrade spend. 

RMcM | 4 years ago
0 likes

Overall bike

RMcM | 4 years ago
0 likes

Chainring

AlsoSomniloquism replied to RMcM | 4 years ago
0 likes

Might be just the light, but some of those teeth are starting to look worn. Top one looks very shark like. So probably a new front chainring for the big ring definitely if can be bought seperately. 

And I know it won't be covered but if you are planning to keep the bike and not changing the height of the stem anytime soon, maybe think about getting the steering tube cut down if you are slamming it that much. 

RMcM | 4 years ago
0 likes

Attached image of disc brake

Latest Comments