Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycling Cleats?

Hey guys, new to the forum/community. I recently started cycling again and stumbled across these 2-Step Cleats on Kickstarter. Something I noticed was how sore and strained my muscles feel after cycling for even just a little bit, I think it has to do with how strenuously I’m pedaling against uphill courses. The cleats supposedly help with this? I’ve been looking around for something to help ease my way back into it and these seem promising but i’m still not sure, should I go for it, or do you guys recommend something else?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dnja/2-step-cleats-a-cyclists-favor...

Thanks!

Brandon

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

don simon fbpe | 1 year ago
0 likes

A change of gearing will be more beneficial than pushing kickstarter.

brooksby | 1 year ago
1 like

Its a bit OT but can anyone recommend stretching exercises for cyclists?

(I went to the physio the other day, and he poked a muscle in my leg and when I yelped he said that wasn't supposed to hurt and that my legs were too tense...).

Hirsute replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
3 likes

Your physio should be giving you the exercises !

Hamstring stretches, it band are the basic ones.

I currently have 5 stretching and strengthening ones to do but the exact ones depends on your issue.

brooksby replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
2 likes

He did, I was just hoping for a bit more detailed information than the badly photocopied A4 sheet I was given (flashbacks to school in the eighties)  4

Hirsute replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
1 like

If it has the name of the exercise then YouTube will have a good version.
I have moved to level 2 and was given a resistance band !

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
4 likes

brooksby wrote:

Its a bit OT but can anyone recommend stretching exercises for cyclists?

(I went to the physio the other day, and he poked a muscle in my leg and when I yelped he said that wasn't supposed to hurt and that my legs were too tense...).

I keep meaning to do some regular stretching/Yoga exercises, but never seem to get round to it.

Here's the Road.cc series: https://road.cc/show/tags/yoga-cyclists/106814

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like

Thanks for that link, peter (not for the photo, which is unfortunately burned into my eyes...).

Secret_squirrel replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
0 likes

My general post ride warm down ones are (google these names)

Wall Calf Stretch

Heel to butt stretch

Seated or lying Piriformis Stretch (I find this actually helps IT band though its not usually mentioned for that - but Im probably doing it wrong!)

Knee and Twist stretch.

IanMSpencer replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
2 likes

I'm not convinced by stretching as a thing, more into flexibility. Bike riding does tend to work you in more or less one position, so having yoga-like exercises to improve mobility makes more sense to me and tackles the whole body.

As an aside, I took up ballroom dancing and,as with skiing, the leg strength you get from cycling is useful, but cycling is rubbish for posture. Dancing forces me to think about posture when cycling, avoiding the humpy back in the main, trying to keep tone.

ChrisB200SX replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

IanMSpencer wrote:

I'm not convinced by stretching as a thing, more into flexibility. Bike riding does tend to work you in more or less one position, so having yoga-like exercises to improve mobility makes more sense to me and tackles the whole body. As an aside, I took up ballroom dancing and,as with skiing, the leg strength you get from cycling is useful, but cycling is rubbish for posture. Dancing forces me to think about posture when cycling, avoiding the humpy back in the main, trying to keep tone.

(Static) stretching is one of the most effective exercises the human body can do, it massively improves flexibility and strength.

Yoga is basically stretching.

IanMSpencer replied to ChrisB200SX | 1 year ago
1 like

Straying into pedantic definitions, but I'd say to most people, stretching is a narrow set of exercises means a sequence of stances, usually some calf stretches and pulling arms etc. specifically only thinking about stretching muscles. Yoga and similar exercises have stretches as an element, but includes other things like balance and breathing, and mental health through relaxation. It makes it more interesting for a start, and you get a nap thrown in.

brooksby replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

IanMSpencer wrote:

I'm not convinced by stretching as a thing, more into flexibility. Bike riding does tend to work you in more or less one position, so having yoga-like exercises to improve mobility makes more sense to me and tackles the whole body.

I'd been referred to the physio because it turns out I have (yay!) moderate osteoarthritis in the joint from my big toe onto the rest of my foot, and he reckoned that my lack of flexibility across the muscles in my lower body was aggravating it when I was walking (because the muscles weren't gently moving, but kind of 'giving way').

andystow | 1 year ago
4 likes

Unnecessary complication. Try some flat pedals and you can move your foot around as much as you want. If you're spinning up a hill, you're unlikely to pull up effectively.

OnYerBike | 1 year ago
5 likes

I would run a mile. The idea that changing the cleat position slightly leads to 20% more efficient cycling is frankly ludicrous. Obviously you want your cleat position to be correct, and as I understand it the current evidence does suggest a slightly more rearward cleat position than has traditionally been recommended is preferrable, but the impact is marginal. On top of that, you're putting money up front for a product that might never materialise, that will be of an unknown quality and will no doubt add complexity and weight. 

When you say "how strenuously I’m pedaling against uphill courses" do you mean you're running out of gears and having to grind away rather than spinning comfortably? If so, then one thing that might help is adjusting your gear ratios - a cassette with a bigger big cog is the easiest way to do this. A smaller small chainring also helps but is a bigger/more expensive job to replace. Note that if you put on a larger cassette you may need a new chain and to check your rear derailleur is compatible. 

Beyond that, I would say the solution is to keep training and working on your fitness, rather than to look for miracles from minor component changes. 

Secret_squirrel replied to OnYerBike | 1 year ago
0 likes

OnYerBike wrote:

Beyond that, I would say the solution is to keep training and working on your fitness, rather than to look for miracles from minor component changes. 

This - but also work on your intensity.  Sounds like you are pushing a bit too hard.  Pain is not necessarily gain.

You might be better off spending that money on a training peaks subscription - get some tructured training plans in.   If you already have a garmin or similar have an explore on what they can do for you....

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
5 likes

Not really knowing what your background is, this is a very general observation.

My starting point would be cadence. If you are grinding up hills, you are straining, by learning to cycle with a high cadence up hills you will avoid straining. What gears are you riding?

It sounds basically like you are trying too hard, and you need to strengthen, which comes naturally with time, and check basic technique.

Gadgetry is not the starting point.

Hirsute | 1 year ago
2 likes

20% more effective and double blind tested !

rookybiker | 1 year ago
8 likes

Don't. Some reputable bikefitters say that a more rearward cleat placement reduces the stress on the calves and benefits endurance. It also loses a bit of the ability to sprint/accelerate. If you do not race this proably doesn't matter.
All you need to do is move the cleats you already have further back. After habituation, you will not feel any need to permutate between this and the "ball of the foot over the pedal axis" position. So the kickstarter seems a bit pointless to me. All it brings to the table is an unwelcome increase in pedal stack and, inevitably, creaking.

Latest Comments