Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Drivers and their problems

A new catch-all Tea Shop thread for those miscellaneous new stories that don't quite fit with parking, crashing into buildings or trapped/prisoners in their homes. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3351 comments

David9694 replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like

It's funny how the 1970s plastic 'tech' has survived so long, with the embossed numbering for the imprinter to do its thing from and the signature strip. The manual method was an occasional stand-by for when the dreaded cry "tills are down" goes up. 

David9694 replied to NOtotheEU | 1 year ago
2 likes
Awavey replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
2 likes

I'm old enough to remember such things also,and the carbon paper card imprint machines,and I'm not a pensioner either yet but East Suffolk council car parks have swapped to this cashless system and I've alot of sympathy with these OAPs if their system is as convoluted as ours.

Ive spent longer navigating the phone system,its speech recognition needs more work, than Ive needed time to park. No one can convince me that it's easier than just popping a 50p in a machine & printing a ticket.

mikewood replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like

With all the ANPR cameras there are, surely it should just be automated! One strike with no MOT or VED, the registered owner gets a letter as a polite warning. 2nd strike is 3 points etc. 

The next issue would be the masking of plates like they are apparently suffering with in NY but that should just be a ticket from either a Policeman or Parking Enforcement. Again, letter the first time, points after that.

wtjs replied to ktache | 1 year ago
1 like

it would appear that the head of the IOPC had to resign, and not quickly enough, over serious allegations, sex with a minor

And when he was appointed as the first Director General of the IOPC, during the fanfare about how the police compaints process was to be radically overhauled, the BBC article stated:

Director general of the IOPC Michael Lockwood said: "Public confidence in policing is best served by robust and independent oversight

Of course, people in public life are proved innocent of scurrilous accusations, but that requires diligent impeccable police work, so it was impossible for him to remain in charge of the body overseeing complaints against the police. All this is important to me, of course, in my ceaseless quest to sort out Lancashire Constabulary.

brooksby replied to Awavey | 1 year ago
3 likes

I had assumed it was nothing to do with it being easier. It's cheaper for the council, because they don5 have to pay staff to go around emptying machines, and That Is All That Matters.

David9694 replied to mikewood | 1 year ago
0 likes

But drivers

Hirsute replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
1 like

Not just that, machines get vandalised and the money is stolen too. Gets a bit expensive after just 2 events.

Awavey replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
1 like

Yes it's absolutely about saving the council money, but they always claim its "easier" to use, to sell it to people.

Hirsute replied to Awavey | 1 year ago
0 likes

The apps work well -easy to use.
Apps - you can extent your time with no hassle, you can pay ahead eg station , you can pay from your bed if you have parked overnight and the charges kick in from 8.

Awavey replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
1 like

They do,once you battle through all the registration parts, but you need a good data signal still which is not always guaranteed.

brooksby replied to Awavey | 1 year ago
4 likes

I hate it when you're expected to download an app or register on a website for what's basically a one off transaction (ordering a snack in a cafe, parking a car, etc)

David9694 replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
1 like

Yes, it's often guess the app - why can't there be just one? 

I wonder how much over payment there is /was with cash machines - like £1 goes in for an 80p fee. I stopped carrying coins around 3 years ago.

Cash is required for a passenger ferry I occasionally use, spur of the moment donations like to the village brass band today and our fish & chip shop only takes cash. 

Hirsute replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
0 likes

Eh?

Simon E replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
2 likes

Delivery van drivers finds out that his vehicle is not amphibious after all. Walcot Ford again, water level is not far below the 4' marker.

Here is street view - with low flow.

And "some expensive cars being towed out" of the floods on the B4213 in Gloucestershire:

https://twitter.com/Oskar_Brennan/status/1614355504121380864

Rendel Harris replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

That's weird, this morning it as definitely showing as "Vehicle details could not be found". I withdraw the something fishy allegation, though I still reckon she's trying for replacement rather than repair!

wtjs replied to Simon E | 1 year ago
0 likes

Delivery van drivers finds out that his vehicle is not amphibious after all

It's time to paraphrase Apocalypse Now again:

The Joy! TheJoy!!

David9694 replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

The white car ... how? 

ktache replied to SaveTheWail | 1 year ago
3 likes

Wouldn't filling the void with huge amounts of concrete and aggregate be an effective solution?

And what on earth is wrong with running more freight trains?...

hawkinspeter replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
3 likes

hirsute wrote:

Seasonal one. Not a good ad for armoured personnel carriers though ! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-64082342

I hope that "wedged in a hedge" takes over from elf on a shelf

mattw replied to Simon E | 1 year ago
0 likes

Isn't the idea to park with wheels angled so it does not go onto a road?

Update - hilarious, she was still standing next to it, and seems to have left the parking break off. Hit 3 vehicles.

David9694 replied to peted76 | 1 year ago
3 likes

Here's another way to defeat pavement parking. 

jh2727 replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Which Arndale Centre, you say it like there is only one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arndale_Centre

essexian replied to JustTryingToGetFromAtoB | 1 year ago
0 likes

As someone who had to pay nearly a grand to get my headlights replaced (its a BMW so my bad) after driving through the "puddle" which appears everything it rains on Sandon Road Stafford (its got its own Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/helpforsandonroad/ ) why would you risk it?

More money than sense perhaps?

Karlt replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes
David9694 wrote:

Woman claims Wales and West Utilities won't pay to fix her car smashed by road sign

so your street parked "life", "pride and joy" had two flat tyres when this happened and you've decided not to get the the glass done, even. 

'The 37-year-old said: "My car was undriveable at the time because I had two flat tyres and I had warned them: 'Please don't put your stuff so close to my car, it's a custom car, it's expensive, it's my pride and joy, it's my life because I'm disabled and I have got three kids.

"All I want is exactly what I had prior to the damage, and that's what I'm entitled to. I've not had a car for weeks now, I've got three children and my partner works nights. It is not ideal before Christmas. What am I supposed to do? I've got to run around in taxis now. It's ridiculous.

...I've been fobbed off with them telling me: 'We're not happy with this, we're not happy with that'. I'm not being funny, but it's all there to see.

"I'm not asking for a new gearbox, new mirrors, new wheels, nothing, but the problem is, the car does have to be resprayed so it's matching. The window needs sorting. The inside of the car is pretty waterlogged now because it was left for a whole 24 hours. Because my garage is the only place which has the custom paint, they were not happy with the cost..."'

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/woman-claims-wales-west-ut...

This is easily fixed. Claim through her own insurance and let the insurer battle to cover their costs.

My suspicion is that her insurer won't cover the custom paint job at the price her garage is wanting either - nor the water damage to the interior if that's happened while they're arguing about it, rather than a temporary fix being put in place.

David9694 replied to SaveTheWail | 1 year ago
2 likes

"I'm an advanced driver"..."I actually feel I could have carried on and driven straight through the traffic lights without any problem"laugh

Hirsute replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Shunted back by the 2.5T range rover is my guess

David9694 replied to mattw | 1 year ago
0 likes

Will it affect his no-claims bone-us? 

David9694 replied to jh2727 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Forgot to include a link - glad that someone noticed.

Manchester: the largest of the Arndale Centres Wiki so helpfully states, and I think I counted only 3 others that have kept the original name. 

SaveTheWail replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like

David9694 wrote:

"I'm an advanced driver"..."I actually feel I could have carried on and driven straight through the traffic lights without any problem"laugh

A deluded driver, more like.  A pity they won't revoke his licence based on his comments in that article.  And the licences of all the idiot commenters.

Pages

Latest Comments