Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Drivers and their problems

A new catch-all Tea Shop thread for those miscellaneous new stories that don't quite fit with parking, crashing into buildings or trapped/prisoners in their homes. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3351 comments

brooksby replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
3 likes

Quote:

We would ask parents/guardians to remind their children that use this route home to use the pavements where possible please so that we can hopefully prevent someone getting hurt.”

I wonder what bets to lay on them not being able to walk on the pavements due to parked cars...?

Hirsute replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like

If he didn't park in a car park, how did he get a parking charge?
Who parks in the pavement "because some random said it was ok" ?

ktache replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

Wow!

2 likes

I wonder how many people would drive to a pub for the evening?

Firstly: because Clevedon really isn't huge; and secondly: because none of them would drive home again after spending an evening in the pub, surely...?

1 like

I can't see the point of covering the number plate on cars which have been parked so badly...

wtjs replied to Simon E | 1 year ago
2 likes

This morning a fuckwit crashed into the back of a parked van and the car flipped onto its roof
Fortunately, the police will have rapidly concluded that this was an accident, so no driver was to blame

0 likes

Bit of local knowledge on that one is that St Philips Causeway is a dual carriageway / practically an inner city motorway.

https://goo.gl/maps/mijoX4i4fdCDX58s7

Not sure what a young pug was doing out there on its own...

mark1a replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
4 likes

The news article refers to the establishment as a "restaurant" in the first paragraph. Fake news. 

chrisonabike replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Well the headline should have been the quote "Able-bodied people have been prioritised over disabled residents." Plus "... since forever - not news. So nothing much has changed except Bath just reshuffled a street and a work-around one person had found now doesn't work as well"

Hard on them. Aside from the "uneven pavement" everywhere though (still the issue) if cycle infra is done properly (if...) it also enables more independent mobility for many disabled people, can reduce car traffic (also makes it easier for folks) etc. If the issue is "I can't drive to and park in the area I need" surely the solution has to involve making it convenient for *all the other drivers* not to drive (and less convenient *to* drive)?

Secret_squirrel replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

David9694 wrote:

Game changer! 

Over 2,000 drivers caught by new AI police cameras in Devon and Cornwall

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/over-2000-drivers-caught...

Crack on, despite some of the commenters. 

The stats are all over the place in that article so its hard to tell what the point is.   Though from my admittedly bitter experience the DevCorn plod are more concerned with speeding on the A30 than actually addressing driving on the higher risk more local A roads.

mattw replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Meaningless comments.

There's nothing to stop the Council spending Council tax on improvements (subject to national limits etc) if the residents insist on it, but they are NIMBYs wanting somebody else to pay.

NOtotheEU replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
1 like

"He has previous convictions for careless driving and speeding."

Which he will go back to doing after serving whatever ban/prison sentence he gets. I'm obviously assuming he doesn't have a great lawer or incompetent judge.

1 like

Yeah... it doesn't read right, once you've worked out where all the space goes.  Obvs. most people can't see the four-wheeled elephants though!

David9694 replied to Awavey | 1 year ago
1 like

I thought it all came from cyclists. 

David9694 replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

Is it stuipidity or arrogance on the part of these dodgy drivers that brings them to the police's attention? 

chrisonabike replied to JustTryingToGetFromAtoB | 1 year ago
1 like

While vigorous use of the stick on offenders *does* satisfy one human motivation (punish cheaters) to change behaviour most effectively normally needs more carrot than stick. Or you need to convince *everyone* that pavement parkers are the enemy. Interesting example of some people getting to the second point here. Maybe that was *someone else's* pavement parking space?

I don't see either condition achieved in most places yet though.

Don't have a specific answer here * but finding a way to reduce the demand for car journeys then reduce the number of cars will be it.

* Aside from issuing everyone with a mobility disorder / baby / elderly relative and removing one motor vehicle from the household...

David9694 replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
0 likes

Drivers: "he hit me from behind"

also drivers "this traffic's terrible"

David9694 replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

I took the Google car for a spin along Isca Place - it's a private road - that explains some of it. Nice that their staff encourage the practice of pavement parking, even if the rather overgrown signage doesn't. 

JustTryingToGet... replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
3 likes
brooksby wrote:

I wonder how many people would drive to a pub for the evening?

Firstly: because Clevedon really isn't huge; and secondly: because none of them would drive home again after spending an evening in the pub, surely...?

I would. Especially if the food is good and the pub is a way out. Though I would stare sadly at the drinks I am not consuming.

That said, I wouldn't do it often and by the looks of it not in Clifton. If a pub business model is based on wet sales to consumers that drive, the model is fooked.

2 likes

It seems so bizarre that the police / media still do this even when a driver is clearly in the wrong. 

David9694 replied to wtjs | 1 year ago
0 likes

Insurance job, innit. 

0 likes

Abandoned? 

3 likes

I do get a bit tetchy when I see discarded inner tubes.  Really?  Single tubes aren't coming from folks passing in cars or trucks... Either you carried a spare there, so taking the bust one back with you doesn't even represent a weight gain OR you've cadged one from someone else and are now littering to boot!  For those - I hope snakebite hits later!

Clearly some people do think they're in one of the Monuments and it's fine to act like a pro - but without the support to clean up after you.

1 like

It's because (parts of) society don't have any taboo about crap driving but all of society is very pro-driving.  Or has it as aspiration "gonna get a new car!" or requirement "you don't have a car?!"

And it's also because you can drive a defective car, or with no licence / insurance, or do any number of dangerous things for time and your odds of getting stopped are very low.

So by the time it happens the problems are likely multiple and (now) pretty obvious.

wtjs replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
2 likes

It seems so bizarre that the police / media still do this even when a driver is clearly in the wrong

Fear not! wtjs will not be silenced even by Lancashire Constabulary's de facto policy that MOT, insurance, VED (and probably driving licence as well, but I can't check that) etc. are now purely optional for hard-working, hard-pressed, law-abiding, salt-of-the-earth, staunch Defenders of the Right motorists like this one of three this morning, MA14 TKC

Steve K replied to chrisonabike | 1 year ago
1 like

chrisonatrike wrote:

I do get a bit tetchy when I see discarded inner tubes.  Really?  Single tubes aren't coming from folks passing in cars or trucks... Either you carried a spare there, so taking the bust one back with you doesn't even represent a weight gain OR you've cadged one from someone else and are now littering to boot!  For those - I hope snakebite hits later!

Clearly some people do think they're in one of the Monuments and it's fine to act like a pro - but without the support to clean up after you.

Given I absolutely agree with you that litttering with disgarded tubes is unacceptable, my following point is a bit irrelevant.  However, there is a difference between carrying a spare and carrying a bust one - the spare will have been neatly rolled up (perhaps never unrolled) and nicely packed.  The bust tube will be more cumbersome and, for example, probably not easily fit back in a saddle bag.

But as I say, that doesn't excuse littering in any way at all.

andystow replied to chrisonabike | 1 year ago
2 likes

chrisonatrike wrote:

It's because (parts of) society don't have any taboo about crap driving but all of society is very pro-driving.  Or has it as aspiration "gonna get a new car!" or requirement "you don't have a car?!"

The first of those struck me the other night at the pub. The kitchen had closed and the cook was at the bar having a beer. She was talking about buying a new "K5" (which I had to look up, turns out it's a Kia, starting about $25k US.) She was excited about replacing her six year old car, she's single and I'm pretty sure she earns somewhere between 1/5 and 1/4 what I make, and I've never bought a new car in my life! My current car is 18 years old and cost less than half that used! My car, plus my wife's car, plus all of my bicycles probably add up to about $25k.

chrisonabike replied to Steve K | 1 year ago
1 like

Steve K wrote:

However, there is a difference between carrying a spare and carrying a bust one - the spare will have been neatly rolled up (perhaps never unrolled) and nicely packed.  The bust tube will be more cumbersome and, for example, probably not easily fit back in a saddle bag.

Indeed but that's begging the question isn't it?  Of course it's more effort and takes precious seconds to do something rather than just leave it lying on the floor (thereby making you lighter - win!)  As to "how on earth can I carry this very flexible and stretchy ring-shaped thing with me...?"  As noted if you'd drop it in the first place you're probably the kind to decide you couldn't possibly wrap it round yourself or your bike as that would ruin the aerodynamics...

Steve K replied to chrisonabike | 1 year ago
2 likes

chrisonatrike wrote:

Steve K wrote:

However, there is a difference between carrying a spare and carrying a bust one - the spare will have been neatly rolled up (perhaps never unrolled) and nicely packed.  The bust tube will be more cumbersome and, for example, probably not easily fit back in a saddle bag.

Indeed but that's begging the question isn't it?  Of course it's more effort and takes precious seconds to do something rather than just leave it lying on the floor (thereby making you lighter - win!)  As to "how on earth can I carry this very flexible and stretchy ring-shaped thing with me...?"  As noted if you'd drop it in the first place you're probably the kind to decide you couldn't possibly wrap it round yourself or your bike as that would ruin the aerodynamics...

Yeah, absolutely.  I was just reflecting on my own reaction after replacing a punctured tube; but I would never even think of just dropping it by the road side. 

David9694 replied to Steve K | 1 year ago
2 likes

Apart from anything else, it's pretty obvious that it's from a cyclist.  Anyway, you'll want to get it home and see if you can fix it in slow time - right?

Pages

Latest Comments