Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Dry sprockets in oven ?

Had to do a deep clean on the drivechain at the w/e but what is the best way to get it dry?
Would sprockets in the oven be ok ?

Not sure about the chain though or would that be ok ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

25 comments

TheBillder | 1 year ago
6 likes

It's 2023. Use an air fryer, obvs, or risk missing out.

Dnnnnnn replied to TheBillder | 1 year ago
2 likes

Cycling-specific fryers will soon launch, with options for 10, 11 or 12 speed cassettes, for £299.99.

Mybike | 1 year ago
0 likes

How do you even think of this just leave it for a bit or use a towel. You should never use a oven you use to cook with to dry bike parts or anything else beside food

Hirsute replied to Mybike | 1 year ago
0 likes

It would be rather clean (possibly using an ultra sound bath). How is that any different from a baking tray, roasting tin, cake tin, springform tin?

Xenophon2 replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

I once used an oven at low temp to dry a chain that was first stripped with naphta, rinsed with isopropanol, then ultrasonically cleaned, then rinsed with water.  It smells a bit  even at low temperature.  Since all smells are particulate, something comes off and I'm not too sure that that something is safe to breathe in.

wtjs replied to Xenophon2 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Since all smells are particulate

I can't let you get away with that! - except in the sense that all gases consist of atoms and relatively small molecules and could therefore be described in a philosophical sense as 'particulate'

hawkinspeter replied to Xenophon2 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Xenophon2 wrote:

I once used an oven at low temp to dry a chain that was first stripped with naphta, rinsed with isopropanol, then ultrasonically cleaned, then rinsed with water.  It smells a bit  even at low temperature.  Since all smells are particulate, something comes off and I'm not too sure that that something is safe to breathe in.

I doubt that any lingering smell will impact your health, though it's worth avoiding fumes from petroleum products and isopropanol alcohol.

wtjs replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

it's worth avoiding fumes from petroleum products and isopropanol alcohol

I am suffering from an infection with staphylococcus pedantreus, so you can't have 'isopropanol alcohol'

hawkinspeter replied to wtjs | 1 year ago
0 likes

wtjs wrote:

it's worth avoiding fumes from petroleum products and isopropanol alcohol

I am suffering from an infection with staphylococcus pedantreus, so you can't have 'isopropanol alcohol'

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

Quote:

Isopropyl alcohol (IUPAC name propan-2-ol and also called isopropanol or 2-propanol)

chrisonabike replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like

I think wtjs is referring to a "The La Brea Tar pits" thing there - "-ol" suffix is already specifying you've an alcohol (in chemistry parlance) already so I think wtjs is saying the "alcohol" is redundant.

Although it could be a case of "whiskey, whiskey - so good they named it twice"?

chrisonabike | 1 year ago
2 likes

If it's a fan oven reduce the temperature by 10 degrees.
Baste with wax before cooling on a rack.
Serves 1 (except for tandem recipies)

check12 | 1 year ago
1 like

just dry it with an old towel or some kitchen roll / bog roll 

wtjs replied to check12 | 1 year ago
3 likes

just dry it with an old towel or some kitchen roll 

I too have been glancing at this topic with amazement. The technology 'solutions' to a problem which hardly exists. Shake off the water and it dries, you apply the wax or whatever and anyway it's going to be soaked again soon.

Dnnnnnn replied to wtjs | 1 year ago
1 like

wtjs wrote:

I too have been glancing at this topic with amazement

Likewise. I can understand not wanting to lube a chain while it's still wet - but sprockets in the oven...?

jaysa | 1 year ago
0 likes

No problem. Convection oven at 80C or so. 

My chains are cleaned ultrasonically and finished in the oven before relube.

Sprockets will be fine, remove any plastic though ...

David9694 | 1 year ago
4 likes

these guys that are allowed bike bits in the house!!

mattw | 1 year ago
1 like

If you are a bouffant type, use a hair dryer.

Or just put it on a floor with under-floor heating if you have one.

fenix replied to mattw | 1 year ago
0 likes

Aaaah. That's WHY the Romans had under floor heating.

Dnnnnnn replied to fenix | 1 year ago
2 likes

What did the Romans ever dry for us....?

ChasP | 1 year ago
0 likes

I wouldn't worry about a chain but be wary of a cassette which may have plastic spaces.

Grahamd | 1 year ago
0 likes

Would appear fine If done with care

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLiBIKfrjfU

Xenophon2 | 1 year ago
2 likes

An oven works fine but don't overdo it with the heat, 60 centigrade, forced convection is fine.  Word of warning:  it smells a bit and spouses generally don't like to see their appliances abused, especially not if you can't be bothered to cook actual food in them.

Hirsute replied to Xenophon2 | 1 year ago
2 likes

Hmm, in my household I do the cooking!

Stebbo | 1 year ago
0 likes

If you have a pet dryer that would be fine or indoors by the heating system. 

ktache | 1 year ago
5 likes

Slow and low.

If I want to speed up drying I rest the metalware on a bit kitchen towel on top of a radiator.

Latest Comments