Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Gilet vs Jacket for spring riding

I am new to road cycling, having just purchased my first road specific bike and the essential i.e. jersey, bib shorts/tights, base layer, helmet etc.

I've noticed on a few rides, particularly in the evenings, I am in need of an extra layer for warmth and protection from the wind and elements.

As a complete novice, however, I am struggling to determine whether I'd be better with a wind proof jacket or a gilet. On weekends I ride mostly during the day time, but I do also ride at night during the week, which understandably is a lot cooler.

What are the pros and cons of each option? And what do the more experienced riders in this forum prefer to use?

Would a gilet provide sufficient protection from the elements, and particularly the cold?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

leipreachan | 4 years ago
1 like

Gilet: when you're considering taking it off later or not sure if you need it at all

Jaket: when jersey's not enough. And yeah, merino baselayer is a thing. You can wear it between -5 up to +15.

OnTheRopes | 4 years ago
1 like

This time of the year it can be quite a quandary deciding what to wear, particularly if setting off earlyish in the morning when things may warm up.

What I tend to do is go get the bike out of the garage and try and judge it stood ouitside then make my decision on clothing based on that.

I always take a gilet, a very light weight one such as the Castelli Squadra which at 66g packs in a back pocket and you don't know it's there.

If its cool I will probably wear a long sleeved Roubaix type top with a short sleeve vest underneath. Shorts with leg warmers or longs. If I think it's going to warm up then a short sleeve top with arm warmers.

The gilet goes on to warm up and then slips in the back pocket, it is always there so if you puncture or have a mechanical you can slip it on to keep warm.

Yesterday I wore all this, the gilet came off after the first half hour, the fingers in  mits were cold, too cold but after an hour I was glad that I went with mits.

It's always a quandary at this time of the year.

kil0ran | 4 years ago
1 like

When I went out at 8am this morning it was zero and that was enough to bring out the full length "super roubaix" brushed lycra bibs and a long sleeve jersey over a thick long sleeve merino base layer. Combined this with spring gloves and found that to be enough, I was warm enough for my whole ride and as it warmed up I just needed to unzip the jersey and take my gloves off. 

One thing to bear in mind is that just because you're exercising your extremities won't get warm unless they're insulated, no matter how hard you're riding. If you're riding for pleasure primarily - i.e. it's an optional activity - I'd go with a windproof jacket or a winter jersey with windproof front panel. That should see you through and provide a degree of shower protection. 

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
2 likes

For colder rides, I go for a long sleeve merino base layer under a jersey and maybe a jacket on top too if it's really cold. I've never used a gilet as like Ktache, I don't like getting cold arms. I don't really understand gilets as my body generates loads of heat when pedalling hard, but my arms aren't really doing much work and have greater surface area so they can get cold quickly.

I'd go for a good cycling rain proof jacket first.

ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

It's my arms that tend to need the extra warmth/wind protection.

Always a baselayer or short sleeved top, then depending on the heat/cold/breeze at the moment, a long sleeve jersey, a delightful Rapha merino windcheater (gift) or if proper chilly the incredible Castelli Perfecto (formerly the legendary long sleeved Gabba).

Some people swear by the gilet.  Me I'd rather a Bolero.

I did once have a pertex jacket that could be converted into a gilet by removing the arms, didn't do it once.

Latest Comments