Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

More style less mushroom tips

Hi folks, hope all is well in la la land.

I'm getting abit obsessed with looking at helmets. I've got a couple but each of them makes me look auberginey/mushroomy etc. I've got quite the long slim slender face so wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a lid that's stylish, won't break the bank (circa £100 or so budget). 
Thanks for your advice folks x

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

mattw | 1 year ago
0 likes

The linked one is wunderbar. A cross between Regency.and aerosol cream.

Personally I have a normal "wearing my brain outside my head" helmet, and a Casque en Ville, which I like but I'm not totally sure whether it is as protective, and attaching a camera is a sod.

Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
2 likes

Very few people look good in helmets, particularly if like you (and me, massive bonce (to make room for all the extra brains, of course)) they have a non-standard shaped head. I really wouldn't worry about it, just buy the one that feels the most comfortable and fits the best. One could argue that the sillier a helmet looks the more likely it is to attract the attention of drivers so the less discreet the better!

BalladOfStruth | 1 year ago
0 likes

I suffer from a similar problem. I went for a POC Ventral last time round because of the rear-of-the-head protection and the fact that I though they looked quite good on others. I look utterly ridiculous in it, but I did in the Giro I had before.

hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

If you feel like raising your budget, you could go for a Hövding inflatable helmet: https://hovding.com/.

It's a collar device that detects a fall/collision and rapidly inflates, which sounds really cool, but they're pricey and need to be recharged after use.

All_the_8gears_... replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like

I'll take that as a trolling reply - those things look absolutely ridiculous, might as well ride around with a couple of pillows sellotaped to the side of my head 😂

chrisonabike replied to All_the_8gears_no_idea | 1 year ago
0 likes

That's not a fair comparison!  Yes they do look a bit odd (like some kind of alien species has attacked you) but they use the compressibility of gas to absorb impact so will be lighter.  What about a more fashionable alternative?

hawkinspeter replied to All_the_8gears_no_idea | 1 year ago
2 likes

All_the_8gears_no_idea wrote:

I'll take that as a trolling reply - those things look absolutely ridiculous, might as well ride around with a couple of pillows sellotaped to the side of my head 😂

I don't think they look too bad, but yeah, it wasn't a helpful reply.

For extra trolling points, have you considered not wearing a helmet? If style is more important to you than the legendary protection provided by bike helmets, then just don't bother with one - they're all a bit ant-head-y.

BalladOfStruth replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like

I've seen these before and I like the concept, but I can't help but think that the bulky collar would be more restrictive/uncomfortable/hot than a normal helmet - especially as I tend to fork out a little extra for helmets that are light/breathable enough that I forget I'm wearing them. It's also more than I'm willing to spend just to try it out.

Rendel Harris replied to BalladOfStruth | 1 year ago
2 likes

Plus they don't protect against what I think is one of the best reasons for wearing a helmet, the danger of being clipped from behind by the mirrors of an HGV or bus/coach as James Cracknell was on his ride across America.

Latest Comments