Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Phones on Bikes

I really want to post this on my clubs Facebook page, but I know that I'll get lambasted as over reacting and being a killjoy. So I'm putting it here in the hope that a discussion can take place with me remaining anonymous.

Can you please put your phone's away whilst riding your bike?

I keep seeing videos and stills of every club ride nowadays, why do you think it's okay to whip out your phone and start taking images of the group riding? If I see someone in a car doing it, I'm filled with righteous anger, yet it seems it's fine to wobble along next to me holding your phone up, turn around to film the rider behind you or film the stats on your Garmin.

It's not safe, it looks bad to other road users and the resulting images are not worth the effort. If you want footage of your ride, buy a GoPro.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

joe9090 | 1 year ago
0 likes

This is why I ride alone. The ppl in the cycling clubs near me look a bit cultified. 

check12 | 1 year ago
2 likes

get on the front and string them out, that'll learn em

Rich_cb | 1 year ago
6 likes

I'd bring it up as a safety concern with the club. Now that someone has actually fallen off whilst doing it I think it's entirely reasonable to question what would happen if someone who was filming fell whilst riding in a group.

It's not ok to compromise other people's safety for a few likes on the 'gram.

Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

Are you sure they are phone videos and images?

Not sure if you are experiencing this first hand or deducing it.

nappe replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

Video and images are up on club ride reports, I see them in front of me, riding one/none handed whilst pointing a phone around them, grinning & gurning, talking to other riders. Basically, moving selfies.

This isn't the occasional one off, it's every ride, several times a ride. More than one person.

I'm just wondering if it's something that happens on other group rides or is it just my club.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to nappe | 1 year ago
0 likes

From seeing local club riders on strava and the pics posted, I suspect it is more common then not. Obviously I don't know speeds, or locations though. 

Hirsute replied to nappe | 1 year ago
2 likes

I don't do club rides (not fit enough !) but I that were me, I'd be telling them direct !

nappe replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
1 like

That's my plan on the next club ride, if someone next to me takes out their phone, I'm going to simply ask them not to, maybe not go full 'cyclingmikey' on them, but just tell them how I feel.

wtjs | 1 year ago
0 likes

If you want footage of your ride, buy a GoPro

Don't, if you want PC software that's maintained and is not a nightmare and which doesn't keep failing. No GPS after Hero 7 Black, either

hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like

I agree - why not just wait until the cafe stop to take a decent pic of the rest of the group. Bike cams are great for getting ride footage, but I can't see much use for it outside of close-pass submissions - it's goddamn boring to watch.

AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
0 likes

I'm never a fan of this, but then I also can't ride for any distance no handed or other controlling options more accomplished riders can. I can just about get a gel, or peel a banana or drink one handed. Did you see the post on elsewhere about this by someone and it made you also feel the same?

nappe replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
1 like

One of the serial phone cammers fell off his bike the other week whilst trying to film himself going up a hill, good job he was going slowly. I've been slowly simmering since!

AlsoSomniloquism replied to nappe | 1 year ago
2 likes

Is he one of the main  guys in the club hiearchy? Any chance you can have a quiet word with the President and raise this as a concern, especially if the fall disrupted the ride (even if was to gather around and jibe him). 

I don't do clubs as just ride for the hell of it and not for social means. Probably why I only do 7000km a year rather then 11k as some do but means I don't need to worry about other peoples foibles. 

nappe replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks, that's a good idea.

Latest Comments