Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Seven years for Death by Careless - can anyone explain?

Can anyone help me understand the sentence in this case - driver hit ped on A52 near Grantham at speed in excess of 60mph - Somerby Hill. And drove away.

"When he hadn’t returned home by the next morning, his family and friends began searching for him.

An iPhone tracking app showed his phone was stationary at a spot near Somerby Hill along the A52."

Guilty plea. I thought Death by Careless was 5 years max. Not sure how the other elements feed in.

Sounds like the driver was pissed out of his brain - refused to give a sample the following day.

Judge sounds a touch strange:

"Judge Catarina Sjolin Knight said it had been reasonable not to expect a pedestrian on that stretch of road."

(As far as I can see from Streetview that whole section has a footway.)

https://metro.co.uk/2023/03/26/mum-finds-missing-son-dead-in-a-ditch-aft...

Judge has some strange previous. 16 week suspended sentence for man who killed a pensioner with his car on Christmas Day because he was fiddling with his child.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40242488.html

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

ChrisB200SX | 1 year ago
4 likes

Judge Catarina Sjolin Knight wrote:

it had been reasonable not to expect a pedestrian on that stretch of road.

That's obviously incorrect, it's a highway (not a motorway), you should expect pedestrians, vehicles, wildlife and even trees to be there. That false expectation has nothing to do with not looking where you are going and not running people over and leaving them to die.

Awavey | 1 year ago
12 likes

Causing death by careless driving, but with a failure to provide a specimen, bumped it up to a potential 14 years maximum under the rules at the time, driving whilst disqualified would absolutely have been an aggravating factor taken into consideration,and leaving the scene and not reporting it, is usually automatic jail time of up to 2 years,  so 7 years is probably in the right area.

fwiw it would now have a maximum of life imprisonment available.

Latest Comments