Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Video Ads with blaring sound

I remember when I was a subscriber, Road.cc decided to add the auto play feature for their videos with ads on all articles which was annoying at the time. Did they remove them for subs in the end? 

Only asking as the silent videos that start advertising their videos silently stop being silent between 30 secs and a 1minute into browsing with a 30 second long Olivia Rodrygo (whoever she is) advert. Obviously a pain when doing a quick browse on a works laptop with built in speakers. Shame I can't install Ad-blockers so less vists to road.cc is on the horizon. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

23 comments

andystow | 4 months ago
0 likes

I had a full screen ad on my phone today right after logging back in.

Eton Rifle | 7 months ago
3 likes

Currently logged in as a subscriber. Why am I bothering to pay a subscription when I STILL have to put up with annoying adverts?

Sriracha | 7 months ago
5 likes

I get the feeling the whole edifice is creaking under the strain. The underpinnings of the site need a full overhaul:

Comments section doesn't thread the posts in some long threads,

No proper integration with sister sites, can't even copy across the comment count,

No search facility, near impossible to find older pages, no way to find one's own previous comments (maybe not a bad thing!)

Whole site has now near-as ground to a halt, massive page load times, 502 bad gateway errors etc,

Double posts have returned, so has AJAX 504 etc, edits don't stick, takes forever to post a comment, even to like a comment!

I'm sure there's more.

I don't suppose it's easy working under the bonnet, but somebody's go to know how.

chrisonabike replied to Sriracha | 7 months ago
2 likes

I think it's been gnawed away from within, possibly sapped by too many (not very well hidden) nuts.

hawkinspeter replied to chrisonabike | 7 months ago
2 likes

chrisonatrike wrote:

I think it's been gnawed away from within, possibly sapped by too many (not very well hidden) nuts.

andystow | 7 months ago
4 likes

No sound, but I'm currently seeing a pop-over Go-Daddy ad about every 20 seconds despite being logged in as a subscriber. I'm going to try logging off and back on again.

andystow replied to andystow | 7 months ago
1 like

Didn't help.

HoldingOn replied to andystow | 7 months ago
1 like

I really hope the site issues they have been having over the last few days isn't down to a code change to push adverts to subscribers!

hawkinspeter replied to HoldingOn | 7 months ago
1 like

HoldingOn wrote:

I really hope the site issues they have been having over the last few days isn't down to a code change to push adverts to subscribers!

I doubt it as I've got my browser to ignore as many ads as possible, so that wouldn't be slowing me down (haven't noticed new ads appearing either).

peted76 | 7 months ago
0 likes

Subscriber here, I haven't seen this issue. 

Rendel Harris replied to peted76 | 7 months ago
0 likes

peted76 wrote:

Subscriber here, I haven't seen this issue. 

Seems to have been fixed now, not happened since Sunday.

Rendel Harris | 7 months ago
4 likes

Subscriber and had this several times in the last few days, vastly annoying music, was not popular at seven this morning when I opened the site on the computer then went to make pre-ride coffee only for it to suddenly start blasting out!

HoldingOn | 7 months ago
0 likes

I subscribe - I don't see any adverts at all and none of the embedded videos in news stories autoplay (the X/YouTube/Instagram videos)

AlsoSomniloquism replied to HoldingOn | 7 months ago
0 likes

Check out if you can see the Road.cc youtube video halfway down any article (also check to see if you already have an adblocker on and working as it does block this as well.). 

The adverts are normally muted at the start, the the Road.cc video will play a couple of minutes of one, then auto change to another road.cc one. On each change a couple of adverts play and for some reason, the Olivia Rodrygo is / was unmuted and blared out her music loudly. It is not the first time this has happened, but is definitely the most annoying and loud one to have happened. 

However It might have either been removed from rotation by Road.cc or just no longer needed as time sensitive as it isn't appearing this evening. 

HoldingOn replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 7 months ago
0 likes

screenshot logged in, looking at a random article

HoldingOn replied to HoldingOn | 7 months ago
0 likes

same article, not logged in

AlsoSomniloquism replied to HoldingOn | 7 months ago
1 like

It is that video box in the centre which was the culprit, especially with the one shitty advert which didn't auto mute. So it seems they have now removed them from subscribers. If they were faster at getting rid of known PBU's I might resubscribe at some point.

David9694 replied to HoldingOn | 4 months ago
2 likes

I don't subscribe, I run Adblocker on my main device, but not on my 'phone from which the site, like so many others, is all but unusable. 

Paul J replied to David9694 | 4 months ago
1 like

Holy crap at that shirt! My eyeballs are bleeding AND I'm going to have nightmares!

andystow replied to Paul J | 4 months ago
0 likes

Hey David, do you have a link for that amazing shirt?

quiff replied to andystow | 4 months ago
0 likes

It would be like being draped in a Tiffany lamp.

HoldingOn replied to quiff | 4 months ago
0 likes

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

hawkinspeter replied to quiff | 4 months ago
2 likes

quiff wrote:

It would be like being draped in a Tiffany lamp.

//preview.redd.it/a6tsvulao3m41.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=a6805b4ea06e5e4a289788fac7e3031e61aa56ae)

Latest Comments