Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The annualRide London kick in the face.

So February is coming and so is the Commiserations kick in the face from Ride London I've found out that I'm not in and so can you, albeit on a smart phone. Follow the link and sign in, click view and then receipt and if it says cancelled just sit back and wait for the kick in the face from the Postie. Good luck with it though.

https://regonline.activeeurope.com/register/login.aspx?eventid=1589802&m...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

86 comments

glynr36 replied to pruaga | 9 years ago
0 likes
pruaga wrote:

Just thinking out loud here, but...

As I understand it, the whole course is on public roads that are closed for the day. There would be nothing to stop a large enough group just turning up to the 'start' on any old Sunday morning to do it themselves? I know a lot of the roads are not usually nice cycling routes, but if there were enough people a critical mass could form giving safety in numbers.

This.

I know a number of people who have turned up and just rode sportive routes on the same day.

Judge dreadful replied to Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes
Daveyraveygravey wrote:
Leodis wrote:

Oh well thats another ride full of MAMIL's who have no idea of group riding I will miss.. Not bitter at all

...or condescending...

The lady doth protest too much methinks  21

jollygoodvelo replied to glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes
glynr36 wrote:
pruaga wrote:

As I understand it, the whole course is on public roads that are closed for the day. There would be nothing to stop a large enough group just turning up to the 'start' on any old Sunday morning to do it themselves? I know a lot of the roads are not usually nice cycling routes, but if there were enough people a critical mass could form giving safety in numbers.

This.

I know a number of people who have turned up and just rode sportive routes on the same day.

I wish you all the very best of luck riding down the A12 (A102M) and later out along the A4 when the road isn't closed.

Riding on 'open' roads when there's an event on by coincidence is fine by me; riding on closed roads where people have paid for the organisation etc is very bad form IMO.

pruaga replied to jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I wasn't suggesting riding the closed roads, that would end up as chaos if everyone just turned up, and I haven't studied the route in detail. Like I said, just thinking out loud.

I accidentally ended up on the course of a BHF ride last year. Rode for a while, chatted to a few people and then confused the marshalls at a junction when I turned to head home and everyone else kept going!

I don't think I'd go out of my way to turn up to sportive start intentionally to tag along though, seems a bit rude.

parksey replied to chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes
chokofingrz wrote:

Kick in face received and graciously accepted but I do not recall asking them to send me a shit-filled glossy magazine which has gone straight into the recycling box.

+1

I'd rather they just sent me a simple letter and then donated the printing cost of the magazine to some of the charities the event supports.

Half the content was about preparing for the "big day" too, so a little ill-judged in my view.

Al__S replied to Leodis | 9 years ago
0 likes
Leodis wrote:

Oh well thats another ride full of MAMIL's who have no idea of group riding I will miss.. Not bitter at all

why did you apply?

Iamnot Wiggins replied to pruaga | 9 years ago
0 likes
pruaga wrote:

Whilst I can't argue with your point, I did ride part of the route from Surrey into London before last years event and the difference was night & day, especially in Kingston!

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Commiserations magazine was waiting for me when I got home. Yay.

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Geordie Simon | 9 years ago
0 likes

3rd time lucky on getting in, looking forward to a flat ride for a change

davann | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm in 2 out of 3 via the ballot the other time for charity.

foot_loose | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just got my pack in the post today. Accepted at first try. Hotel for night before booked. Just need to get fit for it now.

Dropped | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not from round your way so just wondered if you can just ride the course? would the Police stop you if you just turned up and rode?

crazy-legs replied to Dropped | 9 years ago
0 likes
Dropped wrote:

Not from round your way so just wondered if you can just ride the course? would the Police stop you if you just turned up and rode?

You mean on the day of the event itself or some other random time?
Some other time it'd be a rubbish ride and a lot of it simply wouldn't be doable due to one way systems, dual carriageway etc.

On the day of the event...
They were pretty damn strict last year about checking; loads of marshals, lots of barriers. And besides, it's really not the done thing, its very poor form even in an open road sportive, I imagine you'd get no end of grief even from other riders.

richcrocker79 | 9 years ago
0 likes

pah, website has crashed! no matter, the commiserations magazine was on the doorstep when i got home - i'm going for third time lucky with next years application!

DeeJayJay | 9 years ago
0 likes

Big fat no for me again... Oh well, there's always next year...  20

turboprannet | 9 years ago
0 likes

I got in, which I am chuffed about. Website is still not working for me to pay though!

allezrider | 9 years ago
0 likes

No place for me this year - I was hoping they'd take pity on me following last year's debacle.

gb901 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Got lucky in both the London Marathon and RideLondon ballots this year!

cidermart | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm sorry but no way am I going to try and gadge money out of my friends for something I love doing.

Iamnot Wiggins replied to cidermart | 9 years ago
0 likes
cidermart wrote:

I'm sorry but no way am I going to try and gadge money out of my friends for something I love doing.

Why not? I did that last year & raised £1,000 for DiabetesUK and had a good time doing it! I did put a time that I was aiming to beat on my justgiving page so it didn't come across as a pootle around London.

snappyandrew replied to cidermart | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1

PhillBrown | 9 years ago
0 likes

My acceptance was in the post this morning!

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Mine is showing as cancelled too.  2

Fair play to those that have got in, hopefully it'll be vastly better weather this year!

I'll take a look at the charity spots, as a few tend to become available through my employer, but the minimum sponsorships levels are usually way too high. I'm never going to realistically raise £700 by myself, I'd be lucky to do half that, which then makes it a very expensive day out.

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Got my acceptance letter today. That's three from three for me, all via the ballot. I'm a Londoner too, so I'm fairly sure there's no bias for other parts of the country.

I've got one theory about the ballot - that your estimated entry time has something to do with it. I imagine the average time is around 5-6 hours to do the route, so there'll be a lot of people putting that down as their time. There's a lot of start times to fill up, and presumably each start wave has an estimated finishing time. So, perhaps you've more chance of getting through the ballot by being a faster rider? I imagine there are fewer riders who estimate a time around 4-4.30, and they (we) are the ones going in the early waves.

TwoWheelPhil | 9 years ago
0 likes

"Cancelled" for me too  20

joemmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just checked and it's been cancelled. Mixture of disappointment and relief as it would have been a pricy weekend. Might just do a C2C2C with some friends instead.

Pages

Latest Comments