Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

20mph speed limits in Wales

I may have missed it but I've not seen this discussed here.

A (non cycling) message board I belong to has been in meltdown, 'long delays to my journey', 'more accidents caused by drivers staring at their speedometers',  'increased pollution caused by slower traffic and car engines being inefficient at 20mph'.

Also many of them signing a protest petition despite non of them being Welsh or living in Wales!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

150 comments

Drinfinity | 6 months ago
3 likes

I was delayed by 90 minutes on my way back from Antur Stiniog*

*89'50" of that was on the M56, but imagine how much quicker I would have been if I could swerve through Llanrwst at 30. 

Simon E replied to Drinfinity | 6 months ago
4 likes

Drinfinity wrote:

I was delayed by 90 minutes on my way back from Antur Stiniog*

*89'50" of that was on the M56, but imagine how much quicker I would have been if I could swerve through Llanrwst at 30. 

Yeah but then you get to the A55 and chances are that you join a long queue somewhere, there seem to be multiple incidents that cause tailbacks every week.

The 'grace period' that lets drivers doing 25 mph (20% + 2mph instead of the usual 10% + 2,mph) off the hook after the introduction of the new 20 mph speed limit ends on 17 December. Not a moment too soon.

Some great comments about the bloke from Leamington Spa who won't be visiting Wales again (already mentioned in this thread):

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/hilarious-responses-man-wh...

I'll be back in Bangor at the weekend. I'm already looking forward to negotiating the relatively calm 20 mph traffic when I run a few errands and, weather permitting, get out for a proper bike ride.

David9694 replied to Simon E | 6 months ago
5 likes

Starting to think that we on here should all commit to taking a cycling holiday in Wales next year.

Simon E replied to David9694 | 6 months ago
2 likes

I can't promise that vehicles driven outside urban areas will be as considerate (and certainly won't be doing 20 mph). But there are parts of Wales where a cycling can be great... provided you aren't expecting the terrain to be flat!

andystow replied to David9694 | 6 months ago
3 likes

David9694 wrote:

Starting to think that we on here should all commit to taking a cycling holiday in Wales next year.

I'm planning a LEJOG next year, but unfortunately the sensible routes don't go through Wales. I will try to work in a visit before I get to my start at Land's End.

Simon E replied to andystow | 6 months ago
1 like

andystow wrote:

I'm planning a LEJOG next year, but unfortunately the sensible routes don't go through Wales. I will try to work in a visit before I get to my start at Land's End.

Lots of great places to ride so I hope it isn't a fleeting visit. Keep us informed of your plans, it would be good to know when you're doing it. One of the nicer LEJOG routes passes through Shrewsbury and the LBS is visited frequently by those en route in need of assistance.

quiff replied to andystow | 5 months ago
2 likes

On the whole you're right - though the Ride Across Britain (supported LEJOG) dips into Wales on Day 3 and wends up the Wye valley - and a lovely route it is too. 

neilmck | 6 months ago
7 likes

Many towns here in France are limited to 20mph and we don't have the big motorist panic that there is in the UK. My town is limited to 20mph. I drive everywhere in 2nd gear and do not need to look at my speedometer. People do sometimes go over 20 but only in the same way that people used to go over 30. However a few very main roads have been kept to 30mph to give a strong incentive against rat running.

David9694 | 6 months ago
2 likes

Englishman says he will 'stop coming' to Wales on holiday because it is 'too risky' with 20mph speed limit

'It looks as if Wales' loss will be Devon's gain'

"Sadly we have deiced to call a stop to our Welsh breaks as we are not prepared to risk a large fine and three penalty points for accidently doing 22mph in a built up area. It looks as if Wales' loss will be Devon's gain. I might add that several of our acquaintances all feel the same. We will really miss Wales."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/englishman-says-stop-comin...

Cugel replied to David9694 | 6 months ago
7 likes

David9694 wrote:

Englishman says he will 'stop coming' to Wales on holiday because it is 'too risky' with 20mph speed limit

"Sadly we have deiced to call a stop to our Welsh breaks as we are not prepared to risk a large fine and three penalty points for accidently doing 22mph in a built up area. It looks as if Wales' loss will be Devon's gain. I might add that several of our acquaintances all feel the same. We will really miss Wales."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/englishman-says-stop-comin...

It's a little realised fact (I read it on a website once) that the Welsh 20mph limits in the villages and towns is to make it easier for those in The Welsh Hinterlands to capture English tourist, for rendering into pie-meat and also the stuff sold for kebabs. 

Not that any Welsh person would eat such things.  They sell them to the English tourists who manage to get through to Little England Beyond Wales. (I imagine that The Scot will enjoy them too, mind).

Cugel, adopted by The Welsh because too bitter for the pies.

wycombewheeler replied to David9694 | 6 months ago
5 likes

David9694 wrote:

I think you have your gain and loss mixed up

Jogle | 6 months ago
2 likes

Wrexham magistrate quits rather than enforce 20mph law

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-67208537

wtjs replied to Jogle | 6 months ago
10 likes

Good news- it is to be hoped that many police officers will also do the decent thing and accept the consequences of their refusal to enforce pretty much any traffic law ever

Cugel replied to wtjs | 6 months ago
4 likes

wtjs wrote:

Good news- it is to be hoped that many police officers will also do the decent thing and accept the consequences of their refusal to enforce pretty much any traffic law ever

In this day and age, would anyone notice the absence of the  polis? For millions and millions, such an absence is already evident, unless you want to protest that "the authorities" are in cahoots with world-burning, war-mongering loons.

Mind, the avid polis of Derbyshire, was it, did all that policing of dog walkers in remote hill areas during Covid. If it wasn't for droning after those dangerous terrorists with their dripping conks and evil hounds, we'd all be dead now!

And don't forget their very important work stopping and lecturing grandads and little girls & boys daring to ride their bicycles without a polystyrene hat! If that sort of behaviour is allowed to spread, civilisation will soon crumble.

Then there's all the hard work ignoring loons looning in cars ..... . It's exhausting having to turn so many blind eyes!

David9694 | 6 months ago
7 likes

Multiple 'go-slow' protests planned over Wales' 20mph speed limit

The protests are taking place as part of 'National Convoy Day' organised to oppose the Ultra Low Emission Zone in London

Boredtaxidriver62, you're a genius: "Won't happen, but a better protest, would be for all motorists in Wales, to use car for essential journeys only for a month. 'They' will immediately notice the difference in fuel tax."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/multiple-go-slow-protests-...

chrisonabike replied to David9694 | 6 months ago
8 likes

David9694 wrote:

Multiple 'go-slow' protests planned over Wales' 20mph speed limit

The protests are taking place as part of 'National Convoy Day' organised to oppose the Ultra Low Emission Zone in London

So - lemme get this right - this is "malicious compliance"?  Drivers are trying to make a point by pedantically following the law and driving extra carefully*?

Please can this be something that takes off and then becomes a regular thing, like drum and bass on a bike!

(* I'm assuming that they're not invoking the Critical Mass rule of keeping going if traffic lights change when the group is passing through - though I'm not sure drivers of motor vehicles have the same excuse of "safety".)

David9694 replied to chrisonabike | 6 months ago
1 like

Can't see anything in the news today (the day after) about any of this. 

David9694 | 6 months ago
10 likes
so despite the pro car PM, Dorset and Southampton councils have got some 20 mph plans on the go.  The desperation from drivers to avoid this is, well, interesting.  I guess on this one, lies and bluster is all that drivers have.  
But best of all, drivers actually think this is about them!
Here's a round up. 

it's not necessary 

this usually has it that the traffic is so bad all the time so it won't make any difference. 

great, so you've no objection 

drivers won't obey it / the police won't enforce it 

sometimes admissions around driver behaviour are bundlesd into the attempted objection. I remind them of the speed cameras and vans - you know, the ones that are only there to rip drivers off. 

it will make pollution worse

Again an admission of an existing problem is implicit here.  Driver myth from pre-catalyser days. 

it will increase road danger

this is the constantly watching the Speedo argument  and another admission that cars are dangerous (don't forget that we normally have to maintain the fiction that the 4-5 daily road deaths are all individual tragedies, etc)

cars can't go at 20 mph without incurring damage to clutch and gears

straight up driver myth - possibly from days of double de-clutching etc 

I can understand it outside schools 

if you were that keen, you'd be doing it now and we might not be having this conversation 

David9694 | 6 months ago
2 likes

Ah, nuts the snowflake BE has removed comments by midday - too many drivers shitting the bed, I guess. 

The Tory opposition leader: "Our position is simple: there are much more important things to be focusing on than new measures to restrict car users even further, " and the sheer brass neck "which inevitably negatively impacts the most vulnerable."

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/23845995.council-early-stages-bri...

chrisonabike replied to David9694 | 6 months ago
0 likes

David9694 wrote:

The Tory opposition leader: "Our position is simple: there are much more important things to be focusing on than new measures to restrict car users even further, " and the sheer brass neck "which inevitably negatively impacts the most vulnerable."

Presumably they're feeling vulnerable themselves - to the effects of angry drivers voters...

bikeman01 | 6 months ago
1 like

My mother lives in Swansea, Wales. Here is her take on 20mph.

- 20mph through villages, housing estates, schools etc is sensible.

- Swansea has lots of main roads, some dual carriageways. All are now 20mph. It's very difficult to keep to 20 on these roads without looking constantly at your speedo.

- Plenty of aggression from frustrated drivers and overtaking in inappropriate places

- Some people are driving at 15mph.

- Lots of rat running down side streets.

- Very difficult to pull out of side roads when theres a constant stream of 20mph cars bumper to bumper.

- It's pretty hilly so its 2nd gear everywhere now.

Sounds like the expected shit show to me.

I think every villiage in Oxfordshire is already 20mph and it's not caused an uproar because most accept that it is being used appropriately. But this blanket change from 30 to 20 in Wales is madness.

hawkinspeter replied to bikeman01 | 6 months ago
1 like

bikeman01 wrote:

My mother lives in Swansea, Wales. Here is her take on 20mph.

- 20mph through villages, housing estates, schools etc is sensible.

- Swansea has lots of main roads, some dual carriageways. All are now 20mph. It's very difficult to keep to 20 on these roads without looking consistently at your speedo.

- Plenty of aggression from frustrated drivers and overtaking in inappropriate places

- Some people are driving at 15mph.

- Lots of rat running down side streets.

- Very difficult to pull out of side roads when theres a constant stream of 20mph cars bumper to bumper.

Sounds like the expected shit show to me.

I think every villiage in Oxfordshire is already 20mph and it's not caused an uproar because most accept that it is being used appropriately. But this blanket change from 30 to 20 in Wales is madness.

That doesn't seem to match up with the data. From https://datamap.gov.wales/maps/roads-affected-by-changes-to-the-speed-limit-on-re/

Quote:

When the Senedd voted in favour in July 2022, Wales became the first UK nation to pass legislation to lower the default national speed limit on residential roads and busy pedestrian streets from 30mph to 20mph. The new speed limit came into force on Sunday 17 September 2023.

The new legislation is not a blanket speed limit on all roads, it simply changes the default speed limit on restricted roads from 30mph to 20mph. Highway authorities, who know their area best, engaged with their local communities to decide which roads should remain at 30mph.

Exceptions to 20mph default speed limits

This map shows:

a. roads remaining at 30mph speed limit (‘exceptions’)

Some highway authorities have also shown:  

b. roads that are currently 30mph by Order and will stay at 30mph

c. roads that are 20mph by virtue of legislation (restricted roads)

d. roads that are 20mph by Order

bikeman01 replied to hawkinspeter | 6 months ago
2 likes

I dont go there myself often but I can assure you there are a lot more roads in and around Swansea than the few exceptions that that map shows. 

Anyway she is 85. I expect she thinks everywhere is now 20. 

hawkinspeter replied to bikeman01 | 6 months ago
2 likes

bikeman01 wrote:

I dont go there myself often but I can assure you there are a lot more roads in and around Swansea than the few exceptions that that map shows. 

Anyway she is 85. I expect she thinks everywhere is now 20. 

I can't add any local knowledge to that, but it sounds peculiar that the map specifically for that purpose would be incorrect.

quiff replied to hawkinspeter | 6 months ago
4 likes

I think bikeman's point is that the excepted roads shown in the Swansea area are a very small proportion of the roads - so many others are 20mph. Unfortunately (but perhaps unsurprisingly) it seems the map is not complete - only some highways authorities have marked various categories of road. 

However, I still don't get the speedo obsession. Ok, there might be a small adjustment period as you acclimatise to what the reduced speed looks/feels/sounds like. But if you weren't previously glued to your speedo to ensure you were doing 30, you won't need to be glued to it now to do 20.  

hawkinspeter replied to quiff | 6 months ago
0 likes

quiff wrote:

I think bikeman's point is that the excepted roads shown in the Swansea area are a very small proportion of the roads - so many others are 20mph. Unfortunately (but perhaps unsurprisingly) it seems the map is not complete - only some highways authorities have marked various categories of road. 

However, I still don't get the speedo obsession. Ok, there might be a small adjustment period as you acclimatise to what the reduced speed looks/feels/sounds like. But if you weren't previously glued to your speedo to ensure you were doing 30, you won't need to be glued to it now to do 20.  

It just seems to me that some of the complaints aren't relevant as a dual carriageway is hardly a residential road. Is she misinformed about the scheme (likely) or is it that the Senedd had been overzealous and not entirely truthful?

2 likes

There are definitely some questionable examples. E.g. in my neck of the woods, this stretch of road recently dropped to 20mph. I don't particularly mind, but it's not residential, and until a couple of years ago the speed limit was 40 (then dropped to 30 when surrounding roads became subject to one of the pilot 20 zones), so I can see why some might think it's unnecessarily low.    

hawkinspeter replied to quiff | 6 months ago
3 likes

quiff wrote:

There are definitely some questionable examples. E.g. in my neck of the woods, this stretch of road recently dropped to 20mph. I don't particularly mind, but it's not residential, and until a couple of years ago the speed limit was 40 (then dropped to 30 when surrounding roads became subject to one of the pilot 20 zones), so I can see why some might think it's unnecessarily low.    

With that amount of traffic on it, 20mph might be an aspiration

2 likes

Absolutely - I suspect the 20 limit may be partly to improve flow.   

andystow replied to quiff | 6 months ago
5 likes

quiff wrote:

I see plenty of pedestrians on a pavement directly adjacent to the roadway with no protection, so yeah, 20 MPH seems appropriate.

Maybe the Welsh government could promise drivers they'll raise it to 25 MPH if drivers can go two years without killing anyone.

Pages

Latest Comments