Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Driver assistance - a better approach to road safety than PPE?

Apparently, this is "The most significant development since the safety belt".

From the  BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43752226

However, the article is mainly interested in car occupant safety and there has been one particularly notable incident involving an XC90 and a pedestrian although Uber had disabled Volvo's system (probably not fair to count it as a problem with the Volvo).

Personally, I can't wait until we have robots taking over from inattentive hoomans.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

35 comments

hawkinspeter replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
1 like

don simon wrote:

hughw wrote:

don simon wrote:

brooksby wrote:

Duncann wrote:

brooksby wrote:

I've never understood those small commercial vehicles you see around which have a sticker on the back explaining that they are speed limited to 70 mph... I mean: of course they are limited to 70 mph, that's the national speed limit!

You must be a very law-abiding citizen!

(smug=ON)

I haven't driven a car for over a year now but I think, yes, pretty much

Pretty sure I've never broken the speed limit in my years driving.

Have no points on my licence.

(smug=OFF)

I don't see the relationship between never breaking the speed limit and no points. For the record I drive like a twat and had a clean licence for over 30 years, that's a high mileage driver too.

In response to lower speed limits, I don't see how that wouldn't work. The A9 up through that there Scotland is limited and uses average-speed cameras, the drive is none the worse and if anything more relaxing.

I recently drove down the A9 behind a gentleman driving a Nissan Qashqai, who would drive at 60 - 65 in the single carriageway sections, then at the average speed camera brake hard and slow down to 40-50, before accelerating back to 60 (or 70 for the dual carriageway).

This was extremely un-relaxing, as I had cruise control set to 60, and trying to drive greenly.

I'll let you work out what you were doing wrong, shall I?

Is it driving in Scotland?

zero_trooper | 6 years ago
3 likes

Reading the article, it is almost too good to be true. I was aware of AEB, but not how successful it has been. Presumably with improving technology effective pedestrian/cyclist/animal AEB could become a reality. Can't believe that insurance companies, or DoT for that matter, aren't pushing harder for it.

hawkinspeter replied to zero_trooper | 6 years ago
1 like
zero_trooper wrote:

Reading the article, it is almost too good to be true. I was aware of AEB, but not how successful it has been. Presumably with improving technology effective pedestrian/cyclist/animal AEB could become a reality. Can't believe that insurance companies, or DoT for that matter, aren't pushing harder for it.

It's probably too early for the insurance companies to be convinced as they'd be betting a lot of money on the outcome and it's still a new technology. Give them 5 years or so and someone might make a special machine assisted policy.

Rich_cb | 6 years ago
4 likes

I think that if AEB really does prevent about 10% of all collisions then it should be mandatory on all new vehicles.

If the system can be improved to recognise pedestrians and cyclists then it could hugely reduce casualty rates.

don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
2 likes

Bastard Volvo drivers!

Pages

Latest Comments