Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Odd BBC article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45703513

Is that even news? Seriously click-baity SEO-friendly writing style tool, quite out of keeping with Auntie's usual output. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

Yorkshire wallet | 5 years ago
0 likes

I did find this on the website. Utter madness. Kids today eh, may get anxiety from clapping.

Didn't this sort of thing used to be material on The Day Today?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-45717841

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
2 likes

If voting could change anything, they'd make it illegal.

BehindTheBikesheds replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

Most accurate comment you've made here in ages yes

hawkinspeter replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
1 like

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Most accurate comment you've made here in ages yes

Why, thank you.

... oh, hold on a second

0 likes

Come on Davel, the media is horribly SJW at the moment. I can only hope that everyone does start exercising and we can get away from this sort of thing

//i.4pcdn.org/pol/1519684208591.jpg)

Fitness Führers CC. Join now.

hawkinspeter replied to Yorkshire wallet | 5 years ago
2 likes

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

Come on Davel, the media is horribly SJW at the moment. I can only hope that everyone does start exercising and we can get away from this sort of thing

Do you need a beard to join?

Yorkshire wallet replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

No beards allowed. A proper fitness nazi will have strong jawline and no need for a beard to hide a double chin or recessed maxilla. Use of cycling approved growth hormone is allowed  for maximum jaw growth.

This is the aim

//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ec/Corporal_Patrick_Tillman.jpg/220px-Corporal_Patrick_Tillman.jpg)

No beards of note in the peloton.

6 likes

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

No beards allowed. A proper fitness nazi will have strong jawline and no need for a beard to hide a double chin or recessed maxilla. Use of cycling approved growth hormone is allowed  for maximum jaw growth.

This is the aim

//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ec/Corporal_Patrick_Tillman.jpg/220px-Corporal_Patrick_Tillman.jpg)

No beards of note in the peloton.

I tried some of that growth hormone, but it didn't quite work as I expected.

davel replied to Yorkshire wallet | 5 years ago
0 likes

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

To me, virtually everything spouted by Clarkson, Littlejohn et al is more extreme and stupid than even the most SJWey thing Zoe Williams says. Just because it represents the status quo, where fat, entitled white men in big houses call all the shots, doesn't mean it isn't extreme or plain wrong.

But on beards - loads of them look like cyclists to me. Simon Geschke has (had?) a proper beard. I tend to get fed up with my whiskers when they need a bit of maintenance after about 8-10 days, so in my mind they're still 'stubble' when I shave them off. To my wife and kids, it's 'beard', but I just 'haven't shaved'. If I trimmed it or whatever malarkey I'd be maintaining a beard, but I rarely cross that threshold. 

hawkinspeter replied to davel | 5 years ago
0 likes

davel wrote:

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

To me, virtually everything spouted by Clarkson, Littlejohn et al is more extreme and stupid than even the most SJWey thing Zoe Williams says. Just because it represents the status quo, where fat, entitled white men in big houses call all the shots, doesn't mean it isn't extreme or plain wrong.

But on beards - loads of them look like cyclists to me. Simon Geschke has (had?) a proper beard. I tend to get fed up with my whiskers when they need a bit of maintenance after about 8-10 days, so in my mind they're still 'stubble' when I shave them off. To my wife and kids, it's 'beard', but I just 'haven't shaved'. If I trimmed it or whatever malarkey I'd be maintaining a beard, but I rarely cross that threshold. 

I get annoyed with all the obviously partisan rhetoric whether it is left, right or center.

The way I see it is that all the politicians pretend that they have the answer whereas the truth is that the world is far too complicated for politicians to be able to exert control, whereas the population is far too easy to exert control over which is why we're now seeing so much populist rubbish.

What I want is evidence based policies and the bravery to not pretend to have all the answers.

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

davel wrote:

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

I get annoyed with all the obviously partisan rhetoric whether it is left, right or center.

The way I see it is that all the politicians pretend that they have the answer whereas the truth is that the world is far too complicated for politicians to be able to exert control, whereas the population is far too easy to exert control over which is why we're now seeing so much populist rubbish.

What I want is evidence based policies and the bravery to not pretend to have all the answers.

"It doesn't matter who you vote for, man: the government always gets in!" yes 

0 likes

The BBC news website is just a hash of self appointed 'journalist' and blogger rubbish. There's barely any news and it the content seems like most of the women's magazines in the newsagent.

Then again the Guardian is no better. Look at this rubbish you bunch of Strava Nazis

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/27/do-you-boast-about...

0 likes

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

The BBC news website is just a hash of self appointed 'journalist' and blogger rubbish. There's barely any news and it the content seems like most of the women's magazines in the newsagent.

Then again the Guardian is no better. Look at this rubbish you bunch of Strava Nazis

Well, you're not being forced to pay for the BBC, so you can just stop reading it.

Yorkshire wallet replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

Well, you're not being forced to pay for the BBC, so you can just stop reading it.

I hope this is sarcasm.

0 likes

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

I hope this is sarcasm.

Poe's Law?

davel replied to Yorkshire wallet | 5 years ago
0 likes

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

That is shit, but we need way more left-wing bullshit in our columns in the UK, if only to counter the sheer volume of right-wing arsewittery that has seeped into the mainstream.

Boris Johnson was foreign secretary, FFS. He's STILL a politician and is on the front page pretty much daily. Black Mirror took the proceeds of an In The Thick Of It asphyxiwank (Full Tory: orange-in-mouth, wearing sussies, in the cupboard) and made a demonspawn lovechild out of it. That's politics today.

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

I saw that article last night and chalked it up to the BBC pushing the "dangerous" cycling agenda (i.e. make cycling seem more dangerous than the stats would suggest and thus push mandatory helmets etc).

I didn't really twig that the writing was in a different style.

kil0ran replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

I saw that article last night and chalked it up to the BBC pushing the "dangerous" cycling agenda (i.e. make cycling seem more dangerous than the stats would suggest and thus push mandatory helmets etc).

I didn't really twig that the writing was in a different style.

They seem to be moving towards SEO-optimisation of their content, particularly in the "Full Story" section of the homepage - list-based articles, how-tos, sprinkled with a healthy dose of keywords. Plus stock photography - not even from a British road.

simonmb replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

I saw that article last night and chalked it up to the BBC pushing the "dangerous" cycling agenda

I really don't see you can judge the BBC website on one article any more than you could road.cc if you read only 'Near Miss of the Day'. 

It appears the BBC have a number of stories here, a dedicated cycling section - for sports at least, and 'BeSpoke' - a cycling podcast (I haven't listened to it). 

I don't turn to the BBC for cycling coverage, but they seem to be giving it a fair crack.

hawkinspeter replied to simonmb | 5 years ago
0 likes

simonmb wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

I saw that article last night and chalked it up to the BBC pushing the "dangerous" cycling agenda

I really don't see you can judge the BBC website on one article any more than you could road.cc if you read only 'Near Miss of the Day'. 

It appears the BBC have a number of stories here, a dedicated cycling section - for sports at least, and 'BeSpoke' - a cycling podcast (I haven't listened to it). 

I don't turn to the BBC for cycling coverage, but they seem to be giving it a fair crack.

I've built up an opinion of the BBC from more than just one article.

They do have some good coverage, but they also have a lot of dodgy coverage although I haven't really analysed how many of each they do - it's just my opinion.

fukawitribe | 5 years ago
0 likes

Apart from the slightly unusual writing style - what do you think of it ?

ktache | 5 years ago
3 likes

I had noticed that one, you are right, it is a bit odd.

Latest Comments