Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro d'Italia

I've opened comp. There will no doubt be rider changes. Suter will appear after Romandie (team change required).

Pretty mouldy field really. Some of the week long races has been way better represented.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

114 comments

Aragonite | 2 years ago
0 likes

A lot of the Belgian riders seem to have speaking voices a couple of octaves lower than the rest of the population. Potential for a great bass male voice choir.  1

:

Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

Route change for Stage 19 to avoid the area around the cable car crash. 

11waterloo | 2 years ago
1 like

I notice that Tim Merlier won the Ronde van Limburg yesterday a week after leaving the Giro because of 'stomach problems and fatigue'. I thought that you couldn't compete in other races until the one you abandoned had finished but clearly I am wrong. It does strike me as a bit disrespectful to the Giro though. Caleb Ewan got a lot of flak when he abandoned with a supposedly dodgy knee and yet this is a lot more blatant. 

Aragonite | 2 years ago
0 likes

Dan Martin still a gun when ascending. But seems to now need a tricycle when conditions get dodgy. Time for the Irishman to retire?

11waterloo replied to Aragonite | 2 years ago
1 like

He could set up a downhill mountain biking business with Ilnur Zakarin!

Aragonite replied to 11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

Suppose Israel Start Up is already something of a retirement home.

0 likes

Israel Feet Up 

0 likes

Does Dan have the wife's permission to go all in on the  downhill section?  1

0 likes

He's had the last laugh on me..... was torn between him or Pedrero today & just thought Dan could easily mess it up! 

Daniel Norton replied to 11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

I left Dan in after he failed to get in the break last time.  He was the most likely breakaway rider to be able to hold off the GC men on the climbs.  Looks like I was right for once.  1

0 likes

11waterloo wrote:

He's had the last laugh on me..... was torn between him or Pedrero today & just thought Dan could easily mess it up! 

Dont get me wtong I've always loved the guy, but it's hard not to think after his recent comments that he has become a 'fair weather' cyclist.

0 likes

I agree, always livens a race up.

Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

Damn...route change. 

Loaded up for a KOM race....that won't happen now. 

triccky100 replied to Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

wonderful, I loaded up as well for KOM and break going all the way...

0 likes

yep so my selection of an extra breakaway rider instead of Ciccone was a masterstroke ...i guess the shortened stage did not help...

Dr Winston replied to triccky100 | 2 years ago
0 likes

So, three breakaway riders?....I never go beyond two...

0 likes

keeps it interesting, no fun if we all have the same riders!!

11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

This Giro keeps kicking me. Lost Nizzolo before deadline but now Buchmann at start of stage. Both of them in purist team as well!

Dr Winston replied to 11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

Unlucky. I went with Ciccone over Buchmann in the purist to afford Landa. Losing Landa so early has left a big hole in my team....got to think he'd have done well in this field for both pts and standings. 

In general a very hard to predict race. As discussed earlier I think this set of riders are much friendlier to the break than a race with Pogacar and/or Roglic in it. 

11waterloo replied to Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

I agree, you just need to look at stage winners so far to see what a random race it has been and with Bernal so dominant I can't see the pattern changing. If anyone attacks from the GC group Bernal just shreds them, so breakaways are the only realistic chance of a stage win. 

0 likes

Sean Kelly just talking about it now. 

11waterloo replied to Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

Sean is always pestering me for advice! LOL

0 likes

my purist looking very thin, Landa, Buchmann and Nizzolo all gone!

Dr Winston replied to triccky100 | 2 years ago
0 likes

I couldn't see past a podium of Bernal, Yates and Landa (Bernal's back not withstanding). I still think Landa was the right call. He's far more attacking than he's given credit for, so he's a big loss for the actual race as well. 

Daniel Norton replied to 11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

Yep, our Purist picks were lined up to rise into top 10.  Really unlucky.

11waterloo replied to Daniel Norton | 2 years ago
0 likes

Buchmann was definitely on the up. 

0 likes

Definitely. I was surprised to see him attack the other day, he usually just grinds his way to a decent finish even on his best form. May have had a big surprise for us. 

Dr Winston replied to Daniel Norton | 2 years ago
0 likes

Aye. If the race started all over again I wouldn't pick any different. Riders crashing out is just what it is...bad luck. To be fair I managed to dodge most of those last season when I won the purist, and the Covid withdrawals.....that helps enormously. 

Daniel Norton replied to Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, I'd have picked the same but wouldn't have gone for Nizzolo had I known he had no intention of finishing the race!  Definitely caught out there.

Aragonite | 2 years ago
0 likes

Intended bringing Tratnik in for tomorrow. Guess I'll give it a miss now.  1

Bernal looking imperious.

#

Pages

Latest Comments