Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Got knocked off by car - no injury - but what happens?

Hello all, just looking for a little feedback.

I'll try not to make this too long. I was knocked off my bike on Sunday by a car. Thankfully, I wasn't injured. Aside from some scuffing to my handlebars, the main damage was a cracked phone screen - which had been securely mounted to the handlebars, for navigation purposes.

I was cycling in London in a bike lane, alongside a queue of traffic that was stopped due to roadworks ahead. One impatient driver took a swift left turn into a side street, without looking/indicating. I consider myself a safe cyclist - following rules and watching out for idiot drivers. At the same time, I don't cycle at a snail's pace. I braked as much as possible, but didn't have enough time/space, so collided with the passenger side of the car and fell to the ground. I picked myself up pretty quickly. The car slowed, but I suppose once they saw me standing again, they just drove away. I didn't see the driver at all. I'm not sure if I dented the side of the car. I memorised the registration number.

I wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to do. I called the police about 30 minutes later, and the guy I spoke to said that I should "definitely, definitely" report it on the police website, which I did. I said I wasn't injured, just a little shocked, and he said that shock is itself an injury. I've since received some formulaic confirmation that an investigation has been opened.

Most of all I'm annoyed about the cracked phone screen and the fact that the driver didn't even get out of their car. But of course, it could have been a lot worse.

While there were witnesses (someone in another car shouted something), I didn't take anyone's details. I don't video my cycles - though I've since bought a GoPro mount, so will start to do it.

Basically what I'm wondering is if anyone knows what will happen in this case. I'm not expecting a prosecution - there was no serious damage/injury, and not a whole lot of evidence. But I wonder will that driver even get a knock on their door from a police officer? Will they even know that it's being looked into?

Sorry for the rant.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments