Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Through traffic to be banned in parts of Bristol for ‘liveable neighbourhood’ scheme

//i.pinimg.com/originals/fb/4b/76/fb4b76fcc102a925a6fb0a726f536948.jpg)

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/through-traffic-banned-parts-bristol-8295492

//i2-prod.bristolpost.co.uk/incoming/article8295503.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_East-Bristol-Liveable-Neighbourhood.jpg)

This should be introduced towards the end of this year as an experimental trial - I wish it could happen sooner as it covers where I live. We had questionnaires about it during lockdown, though I think that was just about making Beaufort Rd (by the cemetery) one way to motorised traffic.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Bmblbzzz | 1 year ago
0 likes

I was quite surprised to see this. What next, RPZs and 20mph limits? But in a way it makes sense that it's in this bit of St George, given that it's a district with lots of through traffic, a fairly easily drawable boundary, and that Rees probably sees it as a way to stave off the eastward march of the Greens.

hawkinspeter replied to Bmblbzzz | 1 year ago
3 likes

Bmblbzzz wrote:

I was quite surprised to see this. What next, RPZs and 20mph limits? But in a way it makes sense that it's in this bit of St George, given that it's a district with lots of through traffic, a fairly easily drawable boundary, and that Rees probably sees it as a way to stave off the eastward march of the Greens.

We've already got the 20mph limits

Bmblbzzz replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

Yes, but they were introduced by Ferguson – and halting their spread was part of Rees's manifesto back in 2016. I was expressing surprise at Rees departing from what seems to be his normal pro-motoring stance.

chrisonabike | 1 year ago
3 likes

The detail is all important of course - because *someone* won't be able to go as directly to somewhere as they once did; that's the point.  When people complain about this sort of thing most seem to be issues about exactly where the border is drawn.  So "but my kid's school used to be 400 metres away but now it's 3 miles' drive!" (Leaving aside the "yes - and you could always walk / cycle...")

However it looks pretty good in outline!

peted76 | 1 year ago
3 likes

What an interesting idea.. I kind of love it, might it be a bit like a 'light' version of a 15min city.. a five minute suburb ?

Oh.. but you do have my advanced sympathies,,, for all of the moaning you are about to bear witness to, the CAVE dwellers, the NIMBYS, the Karens and Kevs will have a field day on this!

hawkinspeter replied to peted76 | 1 year ago
1 like

There's enough complaints about Bristol traffic anyway, so a few more complaints won't matter.

I think they're trying to prevent the traffic trying to by-pass Church Rd (A420) which runs on the very top edge of the area, but isn't included. Would be fun if it was as it's the main route from East Bristol to the centre.

jaymack | 1 year ago
6 likes

And I hope that the scheme proves to be both a success and a role model for the future.

Latest Comments