Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tour of the Basque Country

Just had first look at line up for this and there are fewer sprinters than Catalunya, which is saying something! Not studied the route yet but I'm guessing 'lumpy' might cover it! 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

48 comments

11waterloo | 3 years ago
0 likes

What a week of racing that was! Arguably better than some of the Grand Tours, though the sprinters would not agree! Special mention must go to Patrick Bevin - only added to start list at last minute and ended up 20th on GC (and 20th today) in a climbers race.

Dr Winston replied to 11waterloo | 3 years ago
0 likes

A few came good.

Pleased for Valverde. I thought he might fall way due to the age thing but looks as good as ever....also Izagirre proving he may be a sustained presence on the more vertical climbs.

Nice touch today by Roglic handing the win to Gaudu, he'll be glad of that one day when he needs some more help in a race, that's the way to do it.

11waterloo replied to Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

It is nice when a bit of respect is shown and it was totally different to Pari-Nice where Roglic essentially hoovered up the last of the break (Mader). Here they had both worked hard for each other on the climb and they both got a reward. Felt sorry for McNulty with such a severe working over, but it is pro cycling and the big boys were in the mood today.

0 likes

Agonised over Yates and Vensevenant or Valverde and Izagirre. I made the right decision by one point. Outstanding. 

0 likes

With my one transfer worth 14.5 mill it was Honore out for Gaudu or Buchmann....... so relieved I went Gaudu! Surprised that Buchmann missed out though, he is normally a solid top 5 on mountain stages but never wins. Gaudu on the other hand is either first or twenty first! 

0 likes

Yeah, Buchmann's consistency has fallen through the floor. He and Kruiswijk used to be great for a reliable fifth/sixth place as regular as clockwork. 

0 likes

Feels like Kämna might be moving up the pecking order at Bora with Kelderman as a dark horse. Kämna tends to win stages as well which is always handy in the game! 

0 likes

He's a great rider. Sadly for us he's got a bit of the Hirschi about him, as many of them do, in that it's very hard to pin down when they deliver. Kelderman is a good pick, seldom, if ever, wins but just keeps plodding home in eighth position. 

In real world cycling the likes of Kamna and Hirschi are just brilliant...

0 likes

We should just enjoy it with so much talent around currently. Paris-Roubaix would have been today as well - would almost have been overkill after the excitement of the Pays Basque! 

check12 replied to 11waterloo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Paris roubaix overkill? Go wash your mouth out 😉

11waterloo replied to check12 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yes, I overstepped the mark there! 

triccky100 replied to Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

My faith in Fraile only just came good, taking out Vansevenant was looking like a terrible decision. But Fraile's four points was just enough, I will take equal first place! 

Dr Winston replied to triccky100 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Well done tricky... you played a blinder. Fraile looked good all along...a real road racer.

Really impressed with Vansevenant, he was fighting to stay in touch over and over again but never gave up. 

0 likes

agree, felt bad I was willing him out of the top 10 but he fought hard, another QST rider with a big future.. 

11waterloo replied to triccky100 | 3 years ago
1 like

Well done! Fraile has disappointed me so often but he looked a million dollars this week. If they had a super combative award for the week he would have been up there. I'm sure he would settle for getting you the win! I still can't believe I got 275 points and dropped from 5th to 6th! 

Rendel Harris replied to 11waterloo | 3 years ago
0 likes

11waterloo wrote:

It is nice when a bit of respect is shown and it was totally different to Pari-Nice where Roglic essentially hoovered up the last of the break (Mader).

It's ridiculous to accuse Roglic of a lack of respect for Paris-Nice stage 7. Mader couldn't stay with him and lost by two seconds, plus Roglic got a ten-second bonus for winning the stage. His rivals were at that time within a minute of him with a hilly finale to come, if he'd slowed down to let Mader win and then lost the overall next day by three or four seconds he would have looked pretty stupid (yes he lost anyway but...). Yesterday he didn't need the win to take the title so he could afford to give it away, totally different situation.

11waterloo replied to Rendel Harris | 3 years ago
1 like

I wasn't accusing Roglic of a lack of respect! I was making same point as you, that Paris-Nice was a different situation, and he had every right to take the stage win there!

Condor Andy | 3 years ago
1 like

Once again they've changed their website and they're trying to embed the results tables on their classifications page and it's not working. Yesterday they were downloadable and viewable in browser, the day before they just displayed them like the Tour website does. Love the consistency.

Back to maths again from the results page on UCI.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 3 years ago
1 like

You're a star Andy. All your efforts appreciated. 

0 likes

yep cheers Andy!

Condor Andy replied to Condor Andy | 3 years ago
1 like

Oh thank christ. They're all cat 3 climbs so it's a straight stage classification for the scoring, nice.

11waterloo replied to Condor Andy | 3 years ago
1 like

It must be so frustrating for you, the official website is very difficult to make sense of. Thank you again for your efforts in getting the results out so promptly.

Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

Boiled it down to two of four for today. Cort, Impey, Aranburu, Smith. I went for the first two but...well...who knows. Very similar riders.

0 likes

At least you have the luxury of a few spare transfers after missing the deadline earlier in the week. I went a bit trigger happy in the first few stages after ending up with two unused in Catalunya

0 likes

Picked the right two but hardly a points fest. It could have been a total waste.

Crikey.

Very odd stage. The peleton knew what they had to do. They kept the break in check and still messed it up. 

0 likes

Again, due to limited transfers, I had Honore still in. Was moaning that he wasn't picking up any sprint or mountains points (got me 2 points after his last day in the break) and even posted my thoughts on him. Hastily deleted it when it looked like he might pull it off! EFE & Israel really messed up though. They never allowed the break over 3 mins & still couldn't reel them all in.

Condor Andy | 3 years ago
0 likes

Scoring this one, but the official website has changed in the last 24 hours and is unusable. So I'm using a combination of PCS (who's live stats are incomplete) and UCI (who don't separate individual sprints and KOMs) and primary school maths principles.

I have no way of verifying though. So I'm still waiting for the official website to get it's s*** together or I'll do the best I can and update in a few.

Condor Andy replied to Condor Andy | 3 years ago
0 likes

Okay, it just got it's s*** together.

Update inbound.

Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

The theme for today seemed to be taking out the winner for a few of us....pffft. No matter, it was a great stage. 

0 likes

Shortage of transfers (bringing Woods in yesterday then having to remove today wasted two) meant I left Izagirre in. Funny how some of the best decisions are dictated by factors other than skill! Was a great stage and I've been to the finishing town a couple of times. They ended by the harbour but could have made it a real puncheurs finish if they had gone up the hill to the town centre ( there is a lift for the less athletic! )

Pages

Latest Comments