Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

What makes road.cc toxic?

I was browsing a series of other cycling based websites recently, and one question popped into my head when back here on road.cc. Namely, what is it that makes the comment sections here so aggressive, abraisive and generally unpleasent. Almost every article ends up with some form of slanging match, akin to a 'you wana go pal' shoving match in a pub underneath. Is it indicative of the types of demographics that tend to frequent the road, linked to the increasingly aggressive cars vs. bikes war of words in the press, debate provoking articles or what? Theres no room for humour, differences of opinions or anything seemingly. Often a simple jovial comment will result in a (Harry Enfield voice) "I think you'll find that actually....' 

In short, chill out everyone. Theres enough shite going on in the world without it spilling into cycling chat! 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

58 comments

ktache replied to MoutonDeMontagne | 3 years ago
1 like

There is not the sense of community on Singletrack and Off-Road.cc is not even singletrack.

I'm a utility MTBer, this is so much more my home.

hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
15 likes

If I were a finger-pointing sort, then there's specifically two trolls that I'd point at that are polluting the comments with hate, lies and a refusal to engage in respectful disagreements.

Also, not enough squirrel pics.

MoutonDeMontagne replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
6 likes

More Squirrels are definately required. I feel more furry/fleecy/fluffy animals of any sort should be encouraged too. 

mdavidford replied to MoutonDeMontagne | 3 years ago
7 likes

Does that include these two?

Mungecrundle replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
3 likes

Squirrels are pants.

hawkinspeter replied to Mungecrundle | 3 years ago
5 likes
Mungecrundle wrote:

Squirrels are pants.

Cats are evil, but they can be cute sometimes

AlsoSomniloquism replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
2 likes

My mrs has always mentioned Squirrels were evil and plotting to take over the world. Then she watched this (the second blue memory module clip) and had her fears confirmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpZZQ2ov4lc

Captain Badger replied to Mungecrundle | 3 years ago
0 likes
Captain Badger replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
2 likes

Haven't seen enough of these either if you ask me....

TheBillder replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
12 likes

I could not agree more with hawkinspeter. The atmosphere used to be intelligent, well rounded and helpful. It could be lively, particularly around helmet use, but it was not at all bad by internet standards. It was one of the main attractions for reading this website.

Last autumn I had a bit of time recuperating from a minor procedure, and ktache, boatsie, mungecrundle, eburtthebike et al really helped while away the convalescent hours. That was Before, this, rather sadly, is After.

Even hawkinspeter and I had a bit of a disagreement once, but we set it aside and it ended with one of those small furry mammal pictures as a kind of online handshake.

It may take enormous discipline, but all those of us who remember how it used to be, and those who have joined hoping for that spirit, just need to remember: Do Not Feed. Our trolls have very specific dietary requirements and must not be fed by anyone. They can get up on their hind legs and beg for troll food, but we must not give in.

As for the rest, let's be kind. My reading of the stats may to you be outrageous cherry picking. Your fondness for the new EF kit may to me be incomprehensible. But if we can both agree that bikes are wonderful and our ability to keep riding them needs protecting and cherishing, then we can help each other.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to TheBillder | 3 years ago
4 likes

You only have to look at the NMOTD traffic island discussion. Most are stating the cyclist could have done a lot better but the majority of the discussion is about the confusing rules on roundabouts and why the cyclist might have throught he was more in the right then he was. Then you have the "few" who post in deliberately provocative language against the cyclists actions and posting massively misleading evidence on why they are right. (Later admitting the language was deliberately exaggerating for "humour".)

I suspect the difference between here and off road etc is because most people here would have felt targetted and helpless on the roads due to driver carelessness or even is some cases deliberate behaviour. So anyone deliberately playing it down or finding the smallest bit to victim blame feels like an attack on most of us. On MTB sites, apart from the odd dog walker, rambler or rabid squirrel attack, there is less deliberate or death inducing conflict that can be used. 

MoutonDeMontagne replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 3 years ago
2 likes

AlsoSomniloquism wrote:

I suspect the difference between here and off road etc is because most people here would have felt targetted and helpless on the roads due to driver carelessness or even is some cases deliberate behaviour. So anyone deliberately playing it down or finding the smallest bit to victim blame feels like an attack on most of us. On MTB sites, apart from the odd dog walker, rambler or rabid squirrel attack, there is less deliberate or death inducing conflict that can be used. 

I kind of agree with your last point here, which was why I raised the earlier comment about whether the site editorial team are effectively encouraging these types of article that attract the trolls? Education about corrrect road use is great, but is the NMOTD really a constructive and neccesary article, or is it click-bait, akin to a '50 best motorsport crashes' kind of thing. If people do feel vunerable and emotionally charged as a result of careless driving out on the roads, is it helpful to reinforce that with the 'look, all drivers are lethal careless maniacs' narrative? It almost feels like, by running such articles, they're effectively accepting that the culture of the site is going to take a hit in return for more traffic. 

MoutonDeMontagne replied to TheBillder | 3 years ago
2 likes

TheBillder wrote:

It may take enormous discipline, but all those of us who remember how it used to be, and those who have joined hoping for that spirit, just need to remember: Do Not Feed. Our trolls have very specific dietary requirements and must not be fed by anyone. They can get up on their hind legs and beg for troll food, but we must not give in.

As for the rest, let's be kind. My reading of the stats may to you be outrageous cherry picking. Your fondness for the new EF kit may to me be incomprehensible. But if we can both agree that bikes are wonderful and our ability to keep riding them needs protecting and cherishing, then we can help each other.

A voice of sense and reason, thank you! laughlaugh

Sriracha replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
1 like

I always enjoy the squirrel pics, and the humour.
The two who are always called out as "trolls", whilst they generally advance an opinion that diverges from the rest of the echo chamber, they do so without rancour and name-calling. The same can not be said for some of those who disagree with them, who find themselves unable to make their case in temperate language addressing the argument rather than the person.

hawkinspeter replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
7 likes

Sriracha wrote:

I always enjoy the squirrel pics, and the humour. The two who are always called out as "trolls", whilst they generally advance an opinion that diverges from the rest of the echo chamber, they do so without rancour and name-calling. The same can not be said for some of those who disagree with them, who find themselves unable to make their case in temperate language addressing the argument rather than the person.

It's not so much that it's a divergent opinion, but the refusal to accept that they are deliberately distorting the truth and employing needless political language just to get a reaction. When you trap them in a corner, they just go off on a tangent, typically spewing hate and vitriol which again is just designed to get a reaction.

There's a world of difference between people arguing about sincerely held beliefs/opinions and someone just arguing to try to trigger someone.

Sriracha replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
4 likes
hawkinspeter wrote:

Sriracha wrote:

I always enjoy the squirrel pics, and the humour. The two who are always called out as "trolls", whilst they generally advance an opinion that diverges from the rest of the echo chamber, they do so without rancour and name-calling. The same can not be said for some of those who disagree with them, who find themselves unable to make their case in temperate language addressing the argument rather than the person.

It's not so much that it's a divergent opinion, but the refusal to accept that they are deliberately distorting the truth and employing needless political language just to get a reaction. When you trap them in a corner, they just go off on a tangent, typically spewing hate and vitriol which again is just designed to get a reaction.

There's a world of difference between people arguing about sincerely held beliefs/opinions and someone just arguing to try to trigger someone.

I don't recall any examples of "hate and vitriol" from them, although a fair smattering of Anglo Saxon and French in reply.

As to "triggering" people, that's like the bar room brawler saying somebody made him throw a punch. We should be able to hear some provocative comment without our right arm swinging in reflex reaction. If an argument is wrong it should be possible to bring it down.

Moreover, there are genuine differences of opinion and perspective. Some here don't drive at all, others I guess drive far more than they cycle, some will sympathise "too much" with the motorists' values, and that wrankles. We'll never know the other side if we won't hear it.

Just keep it civil.

Luca Patrono replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
8 likes

I don't agree. The problem with this sentiment is that you are failing to acknowledge the evolution of trolling.

A troll who is uncivil, vitriolic, etc. is a troll who breaks the rules and a troll who gets banned, i.e. a terrible troll. As I've posted before, the absolute best way to troll is to be persistently contrary, optimally by using the bullshit refutation principle, in a way that you know will get a rise, but while following site rules, so that people have no clear rule violation to attack on and some posters may even think you are a legitimate poster. The result is a situation in which there is in a discussion someone you _know_ is trolling (because they're so extremely against consensus not just every so often but _practically all of the time_) but because they're being "civil" they are somehow beyond reproach. Such an interpretation is overly simplistic.

Captain Badger replied to Luca Patrono | 3 years ago
3 likes

Indeed. A parasite that kills its host is not a successful parasite

brooksby replied to Captain Badger | 3 years ago
1 like

Tell that to the Xenomorph...

Hirsute replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
6 likes

But when the whole MO is to provoke, you can't have a proper discussion because having a discussion is not the objective.

Captain Badger replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
4 likes

And this is it. I've wasted more time than I wished responding. The only way to deal with them is to ignore. If you can't ignore (which can be very difficult, as evinced by my inability to keep my trap shut), don't take their posts seriously - hold them up to ridicule (their posts are generally ridiculous). Laugh at them. Just do it within site rules.

There is absolutely no way that you can debate with them, they're playing to their own rule book for their own ends. Their motivation is not to enighten or be enlightened, to make friends, or even to sharpen their own debating skills. It is just to troll.

hawkinspeter replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
7 likes

I'm not going to go looking for explicit examples, but it tends to be more between the lines and the choice of descriptions of other cyclists. It's similar to how BTBS used terms like 'noddy hat wearing idiot' but BTBS often had something interesting to say (and he often disagreed with lots of commenters).

Triggering words are used specifically to get a response and yes, it's down to the person reading it to whether they react or not, but it's classic troll behaviour to sprinkle charged words into discussions and de-rail them. Their arguments are often brought down at which point they just throw some other random crap into the discussion.

Simon E replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
4 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

I have to agree with you.

To call road.cc an echo chamber I feel is inaccurate; it lends weight to the idea that we can't tolerate disagreement or divergent perspectives. Most of us drive, have family members or close friends who aren't mad keen on cycling. Our views and perspectives vary.

While it can get heated, and if we're honest we are all vulnerable to being triggered and losing our cool at times, most are posting with reasonable motives. A minority are not. But that's life. Which reminds me, I saw this quote a little while ago and it has been on my mind ever since:

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it."

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
6 likes

I have tried to discourse with them, one more then another and would much rather them not replied to anymore rather then the current specific replies that they are getting. However from replies recently, I stopped replying to one when they specifically started searching for cyclist deaths in Time trials to make a point (after several other heated arguments about the death of another cyclist including in front of the son who posted clarified information.)

The other started to use very incorrect and inflammatory language on cyclist actions and when called out on it, admitted if was for "humourous" effect which to me means they want to provoke a reaction. However they both have the other trolling knack of insinuating something in such a way without actually typing it so again, when called out on the real meaning, they can fall back on the age old "that is not what I typed / said / stated."

Unfortunately there are some on the "cyclists" side who can also be blinkered, set in their ways and / all abusive in the end. However I don't see the obvious trolling moves I see with these two. And there are others who will see more balanced views and even argue the other side and again you don't see them being fully antagonistic (apart from Political views). 

Captain Badger replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
4 likes

I've commented in the past that they do not break the rules of the site. That however does not mean they are here for anything but trolling and provoking response. I say this as someone who often has contrary views and is willing to air them and argue them fiercely, however their particularly brand of "debate" seemsto be indistinguishable from someone from the right wing fringe of the cabby lobby.

Whereas they are very careful around toeing the line around site rules, their victim blaming, disinformation and disingenuousness wears a little thin at times.

Hirsute replied to Captain Badger | 3 years ago
4 likes

Although on other sites, they would have been subject to a ban for baiting.

Captain Badger replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
10 likes

And I for one am no fan of baiting.....

Hirsute replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
3 likes

Not sure that is accurate enough. Plenty of patronising comments and soctwati went after mungecrundle in a rather distasteful way.

Thanks to Mr Patrono (hope I got that spelling right) I don't have to read their comments.

You are right about avoiding an echo chamber.

Pages

Latest Comments