Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

news

Cyclist survives slide under lorry, which then starts to reverse

Sam Vernon thought: "If I don't move now, I'm dead" after lorry pulled out in front of him, causing him to crash...

A Kenilworth man had a lucky escape when he slid under an HGV, which pulled out in front of him and then started reversing, on the Coast to Coast cycle route in Cumbria.

Father of two, Sam Vernon, was riding at about 20mph with friends on the main road into Kendal when a lorry pulled out in front of him. He realised the driver hadn't seen him, applied the brakes and flew over the handlebars and underneath the lorry.

Vernon was thankful for his helmet which, he said, cushioned the impact of his head hitting a tank on the vehicle's underside. The lorry driver started reversing after he realised he had hit something, and Vernon was lucky to get out with a fractured wrist before the vehicle's wheels could make contact.

Vernon told the Leamington Observer: "I thought, if I don’t move now, I’m dead."

Fortunately a policewoman and first aid team were in a lay-by opposite the crash site, saw what happened and came to help.

Vernon said: “It felt like I’d done my shoulder, collar bone and wrist. The bones are fragmented in my wrist so I’ve had five wires put in to keep it all together.”

The Observer reports the driver of the Lithuanian lorry was reported to Cumbria police for driving without due care and attention.

Add new comment

14 comments

Avatar
Marauder | 9 years ago
0 likes

Scarey for me to think I was doing the C2C through this route last week  2

Avatar
WolfieSmith | 9 years ago
0 likes

Lucky guy in all senses of the word. What are the odds of going under a lorry opposite a Police officer and a first aid team? I think there needs to be a PC and a first Aid team on standby in every layby in the country. Another undelivered pledge by this dreadful Tory government that no one we know voted for..

Avatar
Rigobear replied to WolfieSmith | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well bang on only 32% voted for them. Once you remove all the members of the party including their politicians, family, and friends etc. Added to the fact many of them cycle or did (still sickens me the most that) statistically speaking really no one did vote conservative. The opposition has just got more fractured and the non voters were still not mobilised. All of which works perfectly for the ruling party.

Avatar
vonhelmet replied to Rigobear | 9 years ago
0 likes
Rigobear wrote:

Well bang on only 32% voted for them. Once you remove all the members of the party including their politicians, family, and friends etc. Added to the fact many of them cycle or did (still sickens me the most that) statistically speaking really no one did vote conservative. The opposition has just got more fractured and the non voters were still not mobilised. All of which works perfectly for the ruling party.

Oh, give it a rest. The left wouldn't be whining about FPTP if they'd won.

Avatar
bendertherobot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Awesome stock photo chaps!

Avatar
davenportmb replied to bendertherobot | 9 years ago
0 likes
bendertherobot wrote:

Awesome stock photo chaps!

The stock imagery on here is getting rather tired...

Avatar
gazzaputt | 9 years ago
0 likes

'The Observer reports the driver of the Lithuanian lorry was reported to Cumbria police for driving without due care and attention.'

Who then went off back to Lithuania never to be seen on these shores again.

Should confiscate his licence and impound the vehicle. Fine him then send him on his merry way.

Avatar
Dnnnnnn replied to gazzaputt | 9 years ago
0 likes
gazzaputt wrote:

Who then went off back to Lithuania never to be seen on these shores again.

It's not clear what the relevance of the driver's nationality is here - but if he felt compelled to leave the country, then it's quite possibly a better punishment than he'd get through a legal route...

Avatar
Leviathan replied to Dnnnnnn | 9 years ago
0 likes
Duncann wrote:
gazzaputt wrote:

Who then went off back to Lithuania never to be seen on these shores again.

It's not clear what the relevance of the driver's nationality is here - but if he felt compelled to leave the country, then it's quite possibly a better punishment than he'd get through a legal route...

I don't think they mentioned the nationality of the driver, just the lorry. We want to be run over by good British lorrys like Leyland, none of this foreign muck...

Its pretty hard to write or say anything these days without showing some kind of bias. Just be glad this wasn't you.

Avatar
Ush | 9 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Vernon was thankful for his helmet which, he said, cushioned the impact of his head hitting a tank on the vehicle's underside.

But no mention of how he wishes he had learnt to quick stop to avoid endoing.

Avatar
ChrisB200SX replied to Ush | 9 years ago
0 likes
Ush wrote:

But no mention of how he wishes he had learnt to quick stop to avoid endoing.

Sometimes you aren't given the time, merely the choice of what you would prefer to hit. Presumably, with the witnesses, this driver will be done for Careless Driving?

Avatar
PaulBox replied to Ush | 9 years ago
0 likes
Ush wrote:
Quote:

Vernon was thankful for his helmet which, he said, cushioned the impact of his head hitting a tank on the vehicle's underside.

But no mention of how he wishes he had learnt to quick stop to avoid endoing.

And the award for the most sanctimonious post of the day goes too…

Avatar
Airzound | 9 years ago
0 likes

Should be charged with DANGEROUS driving!

Avatar
danthomascyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

He thought he hit something so started to reverse without even checking?

"I've just run something over, so errrr, yeh, if I drive backwards I'll unrun it over"

Complete fuckwit. The cyclist was very lucky he didn't kill him in his reverse.

Latest Comments