President Trump, it’s fair to say, doesn’t do understatement. And his keenness to see Detroit re-establish itself as a manufacturing centre for wheeled road transport is well known.
This new bike from a luxury sporting goods firm based in the Motor City may lack an internal combustion engine, but when it comes to bling, it ticks all the boxes – and a price tag of $35,000 means only the super-wealthy (and supremely lacking in taste) can afford one.
Called the Wheelmen, it’s made by Williamson Goods, and is copper- or chrome-plated and wrapped in python skin, together with a crocodile skin Brooks saddle.
Here’s what the company – which also produces a $6,250 crocodile skin football that thankfully conforms to NFL size and weight standards – says about the bike on its website:
Each Wheelmen bicycle is a custom-built masterpiece. The lavish finishings and details of this exceptional bicycle ensure that The Wheelmen is both work of art and mode of transportation like no other.
Williamson bicycles are hand brazed in Detroit using highest quality chromoly tubing. The frame, fork, lugs, and stem are all handmade by Williamson, with individual copper details and subtle logos brazed in place. Each component is wrapped with python or crocodile and hand sewn. Brake levers, gear system, pedals, and cranks are then assembled to your exact specifications.
According to the company, only 10 examples of each colourway on offer – black/copper, navy/copper, tan/copper and navy/chrome – will be made, although it adds that custom options such as white/copper and bespoke frame sizes are also available besides the standard small, medium and large varieties.
Here’s the full spec; don’t all rush at once .
– Custom copperplated frame, bars, stem, fork and posts handmade in Detroit, Michigan
– Frame, fork and posts hand– wrapped and sewn in 100% Genuine Python
– Saddle and bars hand– wrapped and sewn in 100% Genuine Crocodile
– Frame: Columbus chromoly steel
– Lugs: Nova, Python skin wrapped and Copper plated
– Stem: Modified Nitto / Copper plated
– Bars: Nitto / Copper plated
– Grips: Custom Brooks snake skin wrapped
– Wheels: Front– Velocity hub/rim
Rear Sturmey Archer 5 speed
Hub Velocity rim
– Cranks: Paul components
– Pedal: MKS with Brooks toe straps
– Saddle: Modified Brooks and some snake skin wrapped
– Fenders: Velo orange hammered fenders
– Nitto seat post copper plated
– Front/back lights: Vintage Schwinn/Union
– Lights: Modified and copper plated
– Tyres: Continental Supersport.
– Velo Orange Copper Plated Front Carrier Rack
– Copper Plated Adult Beverage Canister
– Black Leather Saddle Tool Bag
– Centre Kickstand.
I've been out all day. I know there were some at the bottom of this article and now gone missing. Don't know what else
Does your local police force accept video evidence from pedestrians?...
Obviously we can't be angry at him because he might have been an emergency worker or carrying a fridge or [insert other whatabout here]....
Yeah...only this article, and Dr Morrish's very sensible comments, have absolutely nothing to do with ebikes in any way, shape or form. He's...
Oh great - sounds like another call for a pointless 100-post thread!...
However, that doesn't seem to be what most trans athletes desire - as I understand it they wish to be treated the same as if they had been assigned...
What brand do you use now?
Exactly this. When I started cycling with the other half, it was shocking how much agression she received from motorists just by being there....
Eastbourne: fire crews at scene after car crashes into house...
Read as: profitable and delayed....